cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

email address being blocked from Virginmedia sender

DFCH1
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 36 of 36

A friend is trying to send me emails and she keeps getting a "failure to send" - started today. She is with Virginmedia and my email is tiscali. Even when sending a blank email with just a subject, this is part of the message she receives:

host mx.tiscali.co.uk [62.24.139.42]

SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data:

552 5.2.0 Giz4r2jvHvxrrGiz4rXulr Content rejected (TT992

Is it a Virginmedia problem or tiscali?

0 Likes
35 REPLIES 35

Message 21 of 36

There's no NTL email address in your private notes. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 22 of 36

I have added an NTL address to the notes in my email personal data - this email address stopped working after Boxing Day and still does not work at 08:30 GMT today.

0 Likes

Message 23 of 36

Ady, I dont know what you are asking for - but in any case the problem is at the gateway not my mailbox given the TT error.

0 Likes

Message 24 of 36

Add the sender addresses to your profile in the private notes section and I'll run checks on those too. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 25 of 36

Thank you Ady - but what will be done to fix it, as we tested an NTL address an hour ago with the same result - blocked at the gateway with the same error.

0 Likes

Message 26 of 36

Hi jennyB123, I've run a 7 day check for emails blocked coming into the email address you're registered with on the community.

Ady

Message 27 of 36

Good to know that you haven't inadvertently selected Mark as spam for any incoming mail from Virgin Media domains but someone else may have.

Waiting to see what TalkTalk say. Ady-TalkTalk was here earlier but was signed out just after lunchtime so I guess that was just a half day stint on what is a holiday. Should be back to normal working hours for TalkTalk Support from tomorrow onwards subject to any leave etc.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

Message 28 of 36

Thank you. I can confirm that I have not marked any incoming mail as unwanted. It seems to be a periodic issue with NTL/Virgin to TalkTalk.

0 Likes

Message 29 of 36

There's no blacklisting by the normal agencies so I've asked TalkTalk Support to check for spam blocking on the basis that outgoing spam has been detected or TalkTalk Mail users have marked emails as unwanted. 

We'll see what TalkTalk find out.

0 Likes

Message 30 of 36

We have tried sending completely blank emails with no content, one letter content, one sentence content and the same issue. There are no problems receiving the other way. So it does look like a talktalk filter issue.

0 Likes

Message 31 of 36

It's NTL and we have tried from a few NTL addresses and the same thing happens.

0 Likes

Message 32 of 36

Ji Jenny

There are a couple of reports on VirginMedia Community of TalkTalk rejecting inbound mail with a TT992 spam protection rejection.

I cannot see any obvious root cause for this other than spam being detected. Which VirginMedia email domain is used by your contact? Is it virginmedia.com or one of the legacy domains like ntlworld.com etc.?

JennyB123
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 33 of 36

This is happening to lots of us at the moment. The fault seems to be TalkTalk blocking all Virgin Media emails and content. Talk Talk need to fix it.

0 Likes

DFCH1
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 34 of 36

Thank you Gondola. Will investigate and report back.

Gondola
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 35 of 36

The TT992 bounceback is a spam or malicious content detection. This means that either the Virgin Media mail server IP address has been detected as sending spam or the worst case scenario for your friend is that their public IP address or email address has been flagged as sending spam or malicious content.

Take the worst case approach and advise your friend to scan their email devices for viruses, trojans or other password capturing malware. Then if all clear to upgrade their email password to deny any potential spammer the use of their Virgin Media mailbox.