cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Fibre 65 Poor speed help required

D59125
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 25 of 25

Hello,

I'd appreciate some help please if at all possible.

Twenty year long talktalk customer, 'upgraded' from Fibre 38 to Fibre 65 September 2022. I received 38 meg download speed before the 'upgrade' and continued to receive exactly 38 meg subsequent to the 'upgrade'. This speed is below the minimum expected for the Fibre 65 contract.

Submitted line test and opened fault on 26/10/2022. Spoke to multiple advisors over the next couple of month and was told the service is fine and no issue with speed, despite being below the minimum expected of 40.2 meg.

Finally got talktalk tier 1 tech support to verbally confirm over the telephone on 07/04/23, that the linespeed is below the minimum standard. Openreach engineer booked for 08/04/23, arrived, checked socket (BT Mk4) and was told internal wiring is fine. Openreach engineer went to the external green cabinet and changed the linespeed to 45 meg (fixed at 45) and said that is the best he could do and left it at that.

Current statistics:

Actual Upstream line rate 13090

Maximum Upstream line rate 13256

Actual Downstream line rate 44523 (fixed at this speed)

Maximum Downstream line rate 63968

Downstream noise safety coefficient 7.2

Downstream noise safety attenuation 15.3

Approx 200 metres from green cabinet.

After 6 months of waiting, I'm grateful for the increase from 38 to 45 meg, however it would appear that a maximum rate of 63968 would indicate that there is still significant room for improvement. I have no interest in upload rate and if it can help, I'm happy for upload rate to be reduced to 5 meg if it helps to increase downstream rate.

Can anybody from talktalk tech support please take a look at these statistics and see if you can do anything to help, much appreciated.

I also require a firmware upgrade for the router. I'm happy with the router and do not require a replacement or upgraded router.

Best regards.

0 Likes
24 REPLIES 24

Message 21 of 25

Hi Debbie,

Yes, if you suspect that the issue maybe router related, I'm happy to give this a try providing you can clarify the returns policy.

Whilst testing the Sagemcom Hub, I won't need to return the HG633?

If the Sagemcom Hub does not resolve the issue, I will return the Sagemcom Hub to talktalk and continue to use the HG633?

If the Sagemcom Hub does resolve the issue, there won't be any charges applied for a replacement router, and I will need to return the HG633 at that point?

Many thanks.

0 Likes

Message 22 of 25

Hi D59125

Thanks for your reply.

I think we should send a Sagemcom WIFI hub for testing. Would you like me to arrange this?

0 Likes

D59125
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 23 of 25

Hi Debbie, thanks for the reply. I'm in the test socket, I've just tried two new filters and ADSL cables again. You may see that the router lost connection twice in quick succession. I have tried both approaches, leaving the router on for several months at a time and also powering down once or twice every few weeks. I'm aware that leaving the router on is best practice, however I have tried both approaches and the linespeed never climbed above 38 Mb. Since being recalibrated to 45 Mb, I have left the router on, as it is currently interleaved. I have the HG633, 100 Mbps ethernet ports version.

Current statisics:

Actual Upstream line rate 13665

Maximum Upstream line rate 13710

Actual Downstream line rate 44351

Maximum Downstream line rate 64136

Downstream noise safety coefficient 6.9

Downstream noise safety attenuation 15.2

Many thanks.

0 Likes

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 24 of 25

Hi D59125

I can see that the line is in sync at just under 45mb.

Is the router still at the test socket? Do you leave the router powered up or do you switch it off when not in use?

In regards to the router, are you using a HG633 router?

0 Likes