cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Sagecom FAST5364 Router Poor Range

threefins
Participant
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 17 of 17

I’m struggling to achieve a stable connection to an EV and EV charger, both are situated approximately 11 metres from my TT Sagecom FAST 5364 router, albeit there are a couple of internal walls to negotiate, one stud, one block and the house exterior wall/front door, otherwise just empty space. I have a Cat 6 terminal approximately equidistant to router and EV/EV charger which I had hoped to connect a second TT Sagecom router (I have two) but hadn’t realised modem only/bridge mode wasn’t possible. I’ve also just purchased a TP-Link Archer router, which I hoped might give me better range, but that plan relied upon using the TT router as a modem, doh! Having searched previous threads the FAST266 Extender has been mentioned. Does anyone have experience of this hardware or advice on the best way forward?

For info I’m not particularly IT savvy although happy to learn/delve in. The primary goal is to achieve a stable WiFi connection to the area immediately adjacent to my front door, secondary would be achieving a stronger WiFi signal at each end of the house (house is a long rectangle with the VSDL connection/cat 6 terminals at the centre point.

Thanks in advance.

@KeithFrench 

0 Likes
16 REPLIES 16

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 17

Glad you are now OK, if you ever want help with the 266, you only have to ask.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 2 of 17

Hi Keith

As you no doubt suspected the middle light occasionally changes to orange but only for a few seconds before returning to green. I’ve had no dropouts so all good.

I only asked about the LAN ports and using them to connect directly to the router as I was hoping to provide a more stable connection for wifi transmission from the 266. I suspected they were only for hardwiring other hardware but thought to ask. Actually the wifi is pretty stable so likely overkill.

Thanks again for all the help.

Darren

0 Likes

Message 3 of 17

Hi Darren,

I can see that Keith has answered your question. Glad to hear that the booster has helped 🙂

Chris

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 17

Hi @threefins 

This might sound daft, but is the middle light really going red or amber, they can look very similar? This is a visual indication of how strong a backhaul signal (this handles all communication between 266 & router including user data) is being received from the router. The signal needs to be excellent (green) or good (amber). The issue here is trying to find the best location for it in relation to both the router & your devices.

The Ethernet ports on the rear of the 266 can be used to connect to any wired device in your house, but if extra WiFi coverage is required, then another 266 would be needed in that case.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 17

Hi Keith

The 266 having arrived has definitely solved the issues I was experiencing, thank you for your suggestion and help in acquiring one.

Just a couple of questions please. I have noticed occasionally that the centre light changes to red for a few seconds before reverting to green. It is very infrequent and short lived, I assume this is to be expected? And second question, the 266 has two LAN ports, are these solely to connect non WiFi devices or can one be used with Cat 6 cable from the 5364 to provide and broadcast stronger WiFi?

Darren

0 Likes

Message 6 of 17

Hi Chris 

Happy to report the 266 arrived over the weekend and now set up, provides me a stable wifi connection where previously there wasn’t one. EV Charger, car and even Ring Doorbell now very stable and indeed it appears WiFi has improved at either end of the house too, where previously it was weak, so very happy. Thank you for the support.

Darren

0 Likes

Message 7 of 17
0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 17

I can help with any issue on the 5364 & 266 if you ever need it. I use the 266 all the time with my Hub 2 (5464), which is essentially the same & uses the same firmware. Plus I can and do test it with the 5364 as well.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 9 of 17

No problem, thanks 🙂

Chris

0 Likes

Message 10 of 17

Thank you Chris, I’ll feedback when received. Greatly appreciate the support.

0 Likes

Message 11 of 17

I've ordered the wifi booster, it should be with you within a couple of days. Yes it's the 266

Chris

0 Likes

Message 12 of 17

Hi Chris

Thank You very much appreciate you checking my wifi environment, it’s very helpful knowing that WiFi congestion isn’t an issue. That would point to the router’s ability to send/receive over a relatively short distance. Yes please wrt the extender. Would this be the 266, facilitating a mesh set up?

Thanks for the support.

0 Likes

Message 13 of 17

Good Morning Keith

Thank you for your advice and recommendation wrt the 266 as a mesh set up. Kindly, as I’m sure you’re aware, TT Support has offered to send a unit for test, having checked for congestion, at your suggestion. This is of course very welcomed and I’m optimistic, will hopefully resolve my ongoing range / stability issues. 

0 Likes

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 14 of 17

Hi threefins,

I've taken a look at your connection, wifi congestion doesn't appear to be an issue. I can send the extender to test with, would you like me to arrange this?

Chris

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 15 of 17

I have asked TalkTalk to see if they are prepared to ship one to you.

Keith

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 16 of 17

Hi @threefins 

My first check would always be for Wi-Fi interference, but you could go for the 266, they work well together as a mesh.

Keith

0 Likes