cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Slow speed - even below the guarantee - the visit of 3 engineers did not help.

eda4359
Participant
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 18 of 18

Dear Community,

Let me start from the beginning, we signed a contract with TalkTalk in January 2023 for 18 months. We chose the Fiber 250 package and when the Openreach engineer installed a new socket and modem, everything was fine, the speed was almost 300Mb/s for the first 10 months, until the first problems it started, randomly disconnecting us from the Internet every day, 3-4 times a day, while the lights on the TalkTalk router remained white as if everything was OK.

From that moment on, the speed began to gradually drop to 200Mb/s and after the visit of the 3rd engineer from the OR, it has became only 160Mb/s. Which is not our minimum guarantee when we signed the contract our minimum should be 183Mb/s. The problem has already been reported several times to no avail. It looks like a cap from TalkTalk or OR to me.

Recently I even heard from the OR's engineer that the distance from the cabinet is far ahead, but the flat where we live is in the same place where it has been for the last 40 years and the cabinet is also in the same place, nothing change distance is the same.

After a conversation on live chat with CS, I received an answer that currently, where we live, the maximum speed is 160Mb/s and the guaranteed one is 129Mb/s, so how could I buy this package Fibre 250 and for 10 months the speed was between 270-300Mb/s? At this point I feel like getting scammed. We are still paying for Fiber 250 and it looks like we have Fiber 150 which is cheaper.

My husband and I are considering terminating our contract with TalkTalk before the required minimum contract length. I am not a lawyer, but from what I read on the Internet, if the provider is not able to solve the problem within 30 days, I have the right to terminate the contract as a breach of contract terms on the provider's part.

I wish everyone a nice day and maybe I will be in contact with a much more competent person from here who will help us solve the problem.

0 Likes
17 REPLIES 17

Message 1 of 18

Ok thanks. Is that the only telephone socket in your home?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 2 of 18

Hi @Chris-TalkTalk 

I have no idea because we don't physically have a landline at home, we only have lines.

This is what I get yesterday when i checked the line

1000008165.jpg

BTW...where we live there is a cityfibre "full fiber" box, 15 meters from away and when I checked on the cityfibre website we can order full fiber 900 but only from vodafone, why can't we from TalkTalk?

Thank you. 

0 Likes

Message 3 of 18

Hi eda4359,

Line test is passing, are you experiencing any problems with your telephone service, any noise on the line?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 4 of 18

OK, let's see what Chris advises when he picks this up. Those are not "slow" speeds by any objective standards to be fair, but I appreciate your concern if they are falling below the minimum guaranteed. 

0 Likes

Message 5 of 18

Hi @KeithFrench 

I connected laptop using a ethernet cable straight to G.Fast modem and I check the speed. Speed as you can see in the photo is like bullet train (sarcasm) It's worse than the day before.  I give up myself already. 

Thanks.very low speed.very low speed.

0 Likes

Message 6 of 18

@ferguson 

Sorry but I cannot find anything related what you have mentioned.

Thank you.   

0 Likes

Message 7 of 18

Hi @Chris-TalkTalk 

I have added the phone number to my profile. If you find free time could you please check our line?

Thank you.

0 Likes

Message 8 of 18

Hi eda4359,

If you still need assistance can you please add your TalkTalk landline telephone number to your community profile and we'll be happy to take a look at it for you

Chris

0 Likes

Message 9 of 18

That's not what I meant, forgive me for adding to the questions! It's a while since I had a DSL connection, but from what I recall it should show it under the My Internet Connection setting from the Dashboard page. What I am getting at is that whether that meets, or not, the guaranteed minimum you were told at the outset of your contract. 

0 Likes

Message 10 of 18

Please forgive me @KeithFrench @, I misunderstood, I'll do it tomorrow as soon as I get back from work.

0 Likes

Message 11 of 18

I don't know if that's what it's about but that's all I found.

1000008152.jpg

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 12 of 18

@eda4359 

What is the sync speed showing as at the router? 

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 13 of 18

OK, so you are on a G.Fast connection. I will slightly amend my question that you have not answered as yet

Can you connect a laptop or similar via an Ethernet connection to the G.FAST modem in place of the router & do a speed test there? What speeds do you get?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 14 of 18

Dear @KeithFrench 

I already answered o few hrs before. 

20240204_160930.jpeg20240204_161006.jpeg20240204_161028.jpegMy PC is connected to the TalkTalk router via an ethernet cable, and the speed is always checked on it, it's the same on the laptop, on phones too, on the tablet too.

I don't know what you mean by ONT, but we have a modem from the OR to which a cable from the socket is connected. To be clear this is a G.Fast Fibre Broadband. 

I attached the photos. 

Thank you.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 15 of 18

Please can you answer my first question in my previous post?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

eda4359
Participant
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 16 of 18

Dear @KeithFrench 

My PC is connected to the TalkTalk router via an ethernet cable, and the speed is always checked on it, it's the same on the laptop, on phones too, on the tablet too.

I don't know what you mean by ONT, but we have a modem from the OR to which a cable from the socket is connected. To be clear this is a G.Fast Fibre Broadband. 

I attached the photos. 

Thank you.

20240204_160930.jpeg20240204_161006.jpeg20240204_161028.jpeg
0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 17 of 18

Can you connect a laptop or similar via an Ethernet connection to the ONT in place of the router & do a speed test there? What speeds do you get?

With all lights being correct, then it is possible that the problem could be between the router & the devices, if the speed test at the ONT is fine.

Which make/model of router do you have?

Keith

0 Likes