cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Using Deco Mesh WiFi with FAST 5364

MC101
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 6

Hi,

I have recently started using a Deco Mesh WiFi instead of the WiFi built into the FAST5364, which I have switched off.  I still have several devices connected on wired connections, either direct to the back of the FAST5364 or via a switch, eg Desktop PC, NAS, security cameras.  The main Deco unit is also connected via the switch to the FAST5364.

I have a problem in that devices connected to the Mesh WiFi cannot "see" or connect to devices on the wired network when I use the device names. eg my laptop cannot map a drive on MY-NAS-1.  I had to tell it to map a drive on 192.168.1.xxx .

The same is the other way too.  My desktop PC on a wired connection cannot "see" or connect to my printer with is on the Mesh WiFI.

All of this worked okay when I was using the built in WiFi.

Is there some setting which I have missed on the FAST5364 that I need to change to allow devices on one network to see the other network?  

Many thanks.

0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5

Message 1 of 6

Thanks.  I'll give that a try. 

Bit of rewiring needed but hopefully that won't be a problem.

Many thanks for such quick clear help.

Mike

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 6

The fact that all wired connections are via this switch is wrong, as they are on different IP subnets, assuming both the 5364 & Deco use the 255.255.255.0 subnet mask.

What I would suggest is that you take one Ethernet cable from an Ethernet port of the 5364 to the WAN Ethernet on the Deco (this might be an auto-sensing port) I don't know, as I do not have a Deco. This cable must not go via the switch at all. Then move all wired devices from the 5364 to the switch, which needs to be connected to a LAN port of the Deco. This way the 5364 has no devices connected to it at all, only the Deco's WAN interface.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Message 3 of 6

Hi @KeithFrench 

I plugged the DECO into my switch that is connected to the 5364.  On the 5364 the Deco WiFi hub shows up as a wired connection with an IP address.  The 5364 doesn't show up at all in the Deco app.

IP addresses on the 5364 are 192.168.1.1xx and on the Deco they are also 192.168.68.1xx

thanks for looking at this for me.

Mike

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 6

Hi @MC101 

@Chris-TalkTalk has asked me to help you. How have you physically connected the Deco to the 5364, I appreciate it is via Ethernet, but is this showing as a WAN connection on the Deco or a LAN one? What IP addresses are you using for the 5364 & the Deco?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 5 of 6

Hi MC101,

They might be on different subnets, @KeithFrench are you able to help?

Chris

0 Likes