cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

Wildlife on your doorstep.

TheDweezil
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 76 of 76

I love wildlife. I consider myself as a conservationist. I used to be a falconer. Unfortunately as the years rolled by there was less places to fly a bird.

What wildlife do you get in your area ?

Here's a few of my local wildlife pics...

Fox on my Hawthorn hedgeFox on my Hawthorn hedgeYoung Common BuzzardYoung Common BuzzardDSC02009.JPGDSC02092.JPGSparrowhawk On PidgeonSparrowhawk On PidgeonKestrelKestrelGoldfinchGoldfinchSparrowhawk with Pidgeon (1)Sparrowhawk with Pidgeon (1)Sparrowhawk with Pidgeon (2)Sparrowhawk with Pidgeon (2)Sparrowhawk with Pidgeon (3)Sparrowhawk with Pidgeon (3)Sparrowhawk with Pidgeon (4)Sparrowhawk with Pidgeon (4)Sparrowhawk with Pidgeon (5)Sparrowhawk with Pidgeon (5)Long Eared OwlLong Eared OwlHarris HawkHarris HawkDSC07551.JPG

ItsaZappathing
75 REPLIES 75

mallesh
First Timer
Private Message
Message 1 of 76

i initially thought that the animals were a threat from someone. it definitely sounds like a person's been doing this, and i cant help but think its a hint at what they want to do to a family member or pet of yours. if your garage was closed the night the rabbit was put there, I'd assume someone brought it in through the garage door or even walked through your house to put it there. but stay safe, ask your mom about it, she obviously knows something. sounds terrifying.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 76

R.S.P.B. BGB Log Sheet 2022.pngR.S.P.B. BGB Log Sheet 2022.png

Message 3 of 76
0 Likes

TheHornedOne
Insightful One
Private Message
Message 4 of 76

JPEG image 6.jpeg

© SJS 2021

Message 5 of 76

I was idly listening to the Brain of Britain : Brain of Brains 2021 last evening on R4 @TallTrees, and during the intermission, where the contenders attempt to answer questions from listeners, the following were posed:

What are 'Cow Magnets'? An item which I am aware of, and, what is a 'Bee Hedge'? A term I had not come across previously, have you?

~R.

0 Likes

Message 6 of 76

I acknowledge that there are a good number of individual, some quite unusual, species there @TallTrees; across three tiers, plus a propagator - notwithstanding the likes of Coleus grown in quantity for distribution to family and friends annually - but I never had occasion to take an inventory.  However, I guess there has to be over 100 individual plants!

These are the, somewhat striking, seed heads from one particular plant ......................

Devils Claw.jpg

..... aptly named 'Devils Claw', and those 'talons' really are seriously sharp!

~R.

PS ~ The weather is still very questionable TallTrees, which I guess might be effecting your local flying - if you take my meaning - but it didn't stop the Red Arrows screeching over my head yesterday.

0 Likes

TallTrees
Super Duper Contributor
Message 7 of 76

Wow, that's alot of house plants!  @TheHornedOne 

My greenhouse hasn't got a great position either, but it's good for the black hamburgh grape who decided not to flower this year! Why? Know not, just leaves and growing.  I have a Brant grape outside with lots of bunches of grapes ....  black birds eat these, they are very small grapes but edible for everyone.

Thanks for the links.  There does seem to be much interest in helping bees.  A late spring is a big problem for the solitary bee as they have a very limited life span...I was very worried about the pollen supplies round and about they don't forage far really but we managed...the wild Azaleas helped they have huge quantities. All the bees need a continuous supply. 

Calm now in the Red Mason houses.  Birds are still nesting late'ish I thought. Have a lovely little nest built by a Wren under roof of outbuilding.  She's sitting tight, good spot dry and safe. Fox in every evening as usual.  Sun and rain. I don't mind rain plants grow better. 

Happiness is Bee shaped

Message 8 of 76

Well, you all [1001] have been pretty busy then @TallTrees, despite the vagaries of the weather.  Personally, I have been pretty-much keeping my head down most of the time.  A greenhouse would be good though.  I have had a couple in the past, but the aspect where I live now isn't suitable. This was my circa 1989 'Houseplant' House ............

Greenhouse c1989.png

Back on the bee front, I came across this ..............

https://www.bbka.org.uk/news/bees-needs-week

........ although I suspect you might already be aware of it!  I actually picked-up the link up from Plantlife .....

https://mailchi.mp/plantlife/plantlife-newsletter-july-2021?e=6dfd86dfb1

Trying hard to persuade meadow plants to grow here, but ......................... !

~R.

TallTrees
Super Duper Contributor
Message 9 of 76

Brilliant thank you, I haven't seen that. @TheHornedOne All is complete here with the Red Masons.  They were lucky eventually to get a good patch of sunny weather, they need to complete before end June.  .  A rough estimate 1000 bees. Notice some predation but won't know until October.  Another bee came in late June and placed one cell/nest in between the tubes! She worked very hard on that...could be a leaf cutter. This time of year is busy. I  grow tomatoes runner beans apples pears figs plums and grapes.  The other plants are pushing up huge growth mainly because of the rain. Dwarf peach tree and Dwarf  Nectarine tree have to be put in the Greenhouse now so in They went, clipped them hard back last winter  every one needs attention at the same time. Bye for now TallTrees 

Happiness is Bee shaped
0 Likes

TheHornedOne
Insightful One
Private Message
Message 11 of 76

Thanks for the updates @TallTrees.  I don't think I am that likely to spot a Fox, or a Badger, in the Close - although, speaking to the Milkman early one morning recently, he did say they are about in the area -  but Hedgehogs have been known to visit, on occasion, as is the odd Field Mouse - as I posted previously!

Unfortunately, prowling, stalking, defecating cats are frequent visitors, with up to 12 living around here, within spitting distance, so I remain grateful that at least a reasonable range of Garden Birds do continue to visit regularly.

The weather continues to be unsettled and variable TallTrees, doesn't it, so how are the little guys doing?

~R.

0 Likes

TallTrees
Super Duper Contributor
Message 12 of 76

This little fella pops up when I put the crushed sunflower seeds out for the baby birds in the morning.

P1010013 (3).JPG

Happiness is Bee shaped

TallTrees
Super Duper Contributor
Message 13 of 76

At last something @TheHornedOne 

Yesterday I just managed to get a very poor photo of the male fox under the Front Bird Feeder

He spent some time there licking up the Sunflower Hearts dropped under there and also I put some extra ones there for the hedgehog (saw them eating together a few days ago tried a photo but couldn't get it on my phone) ~ bless him. Earlier he had shared the female fox's "dog" biscuits put out for her every night....she is pretty,  one day I may get a ~ possibly poor ~ photo of her. I have got an old Olympus Camedia standing by now but in the dark it takes less than good photos. However, something better than nothing so here he is:

Male fox under Bird feederMale fox under Bird feederMale foxMale fox

Happiness is Bee shaped

TallTrees
Super Duper Contributor
Message 14 of 76

Neighbours have Laburnum and bees there too.

@TheHornedOne 

Dishes gone!  She has good taste🙃 and a posh kitchen obviously. 

The saucer lily with little girl sitting on it .. amazing. It must be a tough plant. 

All well here,  bees are filling tubes like crazy. Last count something like 30, obviously many are part filled so  lots more coming along. 

Happiness is Bee shaped
0 Likes

Message 15 of 76

The little gatherers here have now moved on @TallTrees; to the Laburnum .............

IMG_0512.jpg

RS June 2021

What news on your Fox TallTrees, has she returned those crocks yet, washed or not, ha?

~R.

PS ~ As you advised previously ...............

giant-water-lily-at-kew-gardens-london-the-victoria-regia-a-water-B55C59.jpg

TallTrees
Super Duper Contributor
Message 16 of 76

Thank you very much for posting the article @I8this 

I  read it thoroughly.  It seems that honey bee keepers can give the antidote to their bees in the hive. This is a very good start to at least help managed bee hives. I  hope that the wild bees will get help too.  

I have apple and pear trees which I  manage without using any harsh chemicals or pesticides. 

Happiness is Bee shaped
0 Likes

Message 17 of 76

@TallTrees 

https://newatlas.com/environment/pollen-sized-particles-bees-immunity-insecticides/

If case you have forgotten the Do’s and Don’ts. There are members that have. Remember:-Be yourself and tell it like it is,. Be courteous to other customers. Give others the benefit of the doubt. Update your community profile. The Forum Guidelines apply to ALL members there are/should be, NO exceptions. If you have nothing nice to say, then say nothing at all. Now a wizard.
0 Likes

TallTrees
Super Duper Contributor
Message 18 of 76

Those lily pads are remarkable @TheHornedOne 

Thanks for putting the photo on.

I  think little kids can sit on them...not today though health and safety🙃

Mason bees: follow up

The girls loving this weather now have sealed about 16/17 tubes. 

Fox in Sunday with good size cub sharing her biscuits, they love the dried dog food small biscuits gives them some additional vitamins too.

A neighbour was giving the fox cod liver oil!  I found this out because 

I was looking for my small mason cash bowl, talking to my neighbour thinking she may know where the fox has her den..so I could look in it..

She didn't know but she also put the fox meal on a plate and the fox ran off with it.. 

mistake to put her food in my mason cash bowl hasn't been seen since.. no she did not wash it and bring it back naughty little minx. 

Ever eventful here.

Happiness is Bee shaped
0 Likes

Message 19 of 76

Found one @TallTrees  ..............

Kew Gardens ~ Water Lily House.jpeg

~R.

TallTrees
Super Duper Contributor
Message 20 of 76

Haven't been into Kew Gardens.   @TheHornedOne 

Happiness is Bee shaped