cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Broadband speed after line fault fix

ab101
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 31 of 31

Hi, I had a linefault which talktalk say is now rectified. However my broadband is now significantly slower than what it used to be, specifically the DSL connection status shows:

Line Quality

Upstream line rate (kbit/s):2696
Downstream line rate (kbit/s):17891
Upstream noise safety coefficient (dB):22.1
Downstream noise safety coefficient (dB):22.9
Upstream interleave depth:1
Downstream interleave depth:13
Line standard:VDSL2
Upstream line attenuation (dB):3
Downstream line attenuation (dB):10.4
Upstream output power (dBm):5.2
Downstream output power (dBm):12.7

Before my problems started, my upstream and downstream where just under 10000 and 40000.

I've tried the modem on the original socket and at the test master socket but there is no difference in the numbers.

Factory reset the router with no difference.

I understand that there is a 10 day "Line stabilisation period" on a new connection and the connection speeds have been slowly degrading over the last week or so until the line fault was fixed. Will the connection start to speed up again over time?

Thanks

0 Likes
30 REPLIES 30

Message 1 of 31

Hi ab101

I'm so glad to hear that the fault has been resolved 🙂

If you do experience any further issues then please let us know.

Thanks 

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 2 of 31

Hi,

The engineer came and problem is now fixed, as I suspected it was the line coming into the house from the pole.

Broadband is back at:

Actual Rate [Kbps] 69506 25293

Thanks for your help.

Message 3 of 31

Hi ab101

Thank you. The engineer might not attend at the property but just to make you aware in case they do require access.

Debbie 

0 Likes

Message 4 of 31

Thank you for the update, there will be someone home all day.

Message 5 of 31

Hi ab101

I've checked for an update and it appears that the fault has been assigned to a line engineer this morning.

The engineer may contact you to gain access to the property. If you are not at home and the engineer requires access then we can arrange an appointment with you.

I will check on this fault again later this afternoon for additional updates.

Thanks again.

0 Likes

Message 6 of 31

Hi ab101

I have escalated this back to Openreach as a repeat fault.

I will continue to monitor this for updates from Openreach.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 7 of 31

No, I've moved the router back to its original socket as the test socket is in an inconvenient place.  Regardless, connecting a phone directly to the test socket you can still hear the crackle.  The fault is definitely in the incomming line affecting both telephone and broadband most likely between my house and the telephone pole as it gets worse when there is wind and rain.  Can you please expedite this and make sure it does n't get closed as this as it's the fourth time now.

0 Likes

Message 8 of 31

Hi ab101

Openreach have closed the fault again as resolved, apologies for this.

The line tests are detecting the same fault. Is the router still at the test socket?

0 Likes

Message 9 of 31

Hi,

How long would I expect to wait for the engineer to turn up?  After having the online chat, I received the openreach engineer terms and conditions by email and on wednesday a new modem which I installed without any problems.  However I have n't received any other communications regarding the engineer visit and tomorrow it will be one week.

I'm getting a bit frustrated now as my phone line is now so crackly it is practically unusable and broadband is 799up/6398down with continuous disconnects when there is a wind/rain so any report on progress would be appreciated.

Thanks.

0 Likes

Message 10 of 31

Morning,

I'm sorry to hear this. Thanks for the additional update and we will check back in with you in a few days to see how you're getting on.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 11 of 31

As an update, I had a chat with someone and this has now been escalated to a "Level 2 External Engineer" which I hope fixes things.

0 Likes

Message 12 of 31

Hi, it seems like we are going round in circles. I just checked track my fault and it says the the fault has been fixed but that is not the case as the line is still crackly, internet disconnects and is now at 799 kbit/s up 9583 kbit/s down.

0 Likes

Message 13 of 31

Hi ab101

Apologies for this.

I've completed a line test and this is detecting a fault so I have escalated this back to Openreach as a repeat fault.

I will post back on this thread as soon as I receive additional updates.

Thanks 

0 Likes

Message 14 of 31

Hi, yes the fault is still present.  It is itermittent and seems to be connected to the weather.

0 Likes

Message 15 of 31

Hi ab101

I can see that the fault was closed by Openreach on 04/08 

Is this fault still present?

0 Likes

Message 16 of 31

Hi, I've had no correspondance and the line is still faulty. There was wind and rain over the weekend so the line/broadband has been mostly unusable with disconnects every few minutes and the broadband slow deregrading in speed each time it came back. 

0 Likes

Message 17 of 31

Hi ab101,

We've been advised by Openreach that this issue is linked to the current incident that Openreach are investigating. If you don't hear anything over the weekend can you bump the thread on Monday and we'll check for updates

Chris

0 Likes

Message 18 of 31

Morning,

Thanks for the additional information. I've passed this over for an Openreach line engineer to take a look and we will re-check tomorrow morning for an update. They may identify a separate issue or may advise that it's linked to this current incident/outage. We'll post back again as soon as we know more.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 19 of 31

Thanks, I'm pretty much sure now this fault is affected by the weather. Once the wind had stopped today the crackling was gone and now we are seeing some heavy rain and light wind the crackling is back and the broadband connection has become unstable again.  Is there any way to transmit this information to the engineers as if they arrive when the weather is calm I would n't want the chance of them reporting that there was no fault.

0 Likes

Message 20 of 31

Good afternoon,

No additional updates on the fault as yet. I will re-check again first thing in the morning.

Thanks

0 Likes