cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

RADIUS Authentication Problem

JThornton
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 24 of 24

Hello

I have had no connection since the early hours of Tuesday 21st March.  I have inspected my router logs and  there is a RADIUS authentication problem.  Attached is the relevant part of the log showing a connection attempt (I have redacted my telephone number from the log).

Thanks,

John

0 Likes
23 REPLIES 23

Message 1 of 24

Hi John

Thanks for letting us know. I'm glad to hear that this is now working ok.

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 2 of 24

Hello,

I spoke to the Network Team on Wednesday 29th and arranged an Openreach appointment for Thursday 30th a.m.

On Thursday a.m. someone else from the Network Team called me and advised that the Openreach appointment scheduled for that day would have to be re-arranged because an engineer suitable to solve the problem would not be available.  I re-booked the appointment for Friday 31st.

Shortly after, I received another call from the original person that I was dealing with at the Network Team who asked me to try some alternative credentials, which appeared to be from my old Pipex account.  I changed these in the router and this successfully authenticated and gave me Internet access.

So, to summarise:

1. In the early hours of Tuesday 21st something happened which caused my previously working credentials (<telno>@talktalk.net/<blank>) to be rejected.

2. The supplied TalkTalk router credentials (01warehouse@talktalk.net/01warehouse) appeared to connect but web page requests were always redirected to www.passwordhelper.talktalk.net.

3. The credentials from my old Pipex account successfully authenticate and allow Internet access.

As a post-script I'm not sure what happened with the Openreach engineer because he didn't visit my property, although I did see a van in the street on the Friday morning.

John

Message 3 of 24

Hi JThornton

Apologies for the delay. Our Network Team have advised that they arranged an Openreach engineer visit.

Please let us know how you get on following this visit.

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 4 of 24

Hello,

I wasn't aware that someone would be contacting me.  I have updated my mobile number in the profile.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 24

Hi John

Apologies, I will chase the team for an update now.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 6 of 24

Hello

No, they haven't.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 24

Hi John

Did our Network Team make contact with you?

0 Likes

Message 8 of 24

Hi John

I have escalated this to our Network Team and I will post back as soon as I have further information.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 9 of 24

I've tried those credentials and the router will not connect.  Here's the relevant line from its log:

PPPoE connection could not be established. Login failed but there was no detailed information delivered by the radius server

John

0 Likes

Message 10 of 24

Sorry we posted at the same time. Could you try adding the details for username and password.

I've had another customer with a very similar issue and this resolved it.

0 Likes

Message 12 of 24

Hello,

No, it used the default credentials already set up in the router.

John

0 Likes

Message 13 of 24

Hi John

Did it ask you to enter any username and password details when you connected the new router?

0 Likes

Message 14 of 24

Good morning,

I received the router, thank you.  It connects successfully but when trying to open any web page the browser always redirects to www.passwordhelper.talktalk.net.  There are several posts on this forum mentioning this problem and it appears to be related to an authentication issue.

On this thread  one of your colleagues solved this by getting the network team to rebuild the RADIUS details.  Please could you give this a try?

Thanks,

John

0 Likes

Message 15 of 24

Morning,

I'm sorry for the delay. Can I just confirm, are you still unable to browse any sites with the new router?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 16 of 24

Hello Mike,

Thanks for your input.  This confirms my suspicions that there have been some configuration changes at TalkTalk's end.  I'm also from an old Pipex account and have never experienced a problem like this before.

I received a TalkTalk router, and this successfully connects and authenticates, but on trying to navigate to a web page the browser redirects to www.passwordhelper.talktalk.net.  I've had a quick look for similar problems in this forum and it appears that this is again related to RADIUS authentication.

Incidentally, I tried the PPP authentication details from the TalkTalk router (01warehouse@talktalk.net/01warehouse) in my existing router and it successfully connects, but I then get the browser redirect problem.

I'll respond to tech support tomorrow with my findings.

John

0 Likes

Mike_P
First Timer
Private Message
Message 17 of 24

FWIW my connection dropped around 00:50 same date and I had  the same problem in my router logs : - CHAP : login to remote failed, please check user/pswd.  Just got in from work today (Fri 24 March) and my connection is magically back up.

Like you I'm on an old inherited account (Pipex), been using same user/password for close on 20 years never seen this problem before. I

don't have a TalkTalk router either but have accumulated a few over the years and and all were giving a similar message re ERR-No-Radius-Rule and CHAP Authentication failed.

Mike_P
First Timer
Private Message
Message 18 of 24

FWIW my connection dropped around 00:50 same date and I had  the same problem in my router logs : - CHAP : login to remote failed, please check user/pswd.  Just got in from work today (Fri 24 March) and my connection is magically back up.

Like you I'm on an old inherited account (Pipex), been using same user/password for close on 20 years never seen this problem before. I

don't have a TalkTalk router either but have accumulated a few over the years and and all were giving a similar message re ERR-No-Radius-Rule and CHAP Authentication failed.

0 Likes

Message 19 of 24

Hi John

The router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how you get on.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 20 of 24

Hello,

Yes, if you send a replacement I'll give it a try.  I would be interested to know what has changed, though, since my current router is set up as per the instructions on the TalkTalk web site and has worked for several years without a problem.

Thanks,

John

0 Likes