cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Router Cuts Out Many Times a Day (and night)

appleby18
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 22 of 22

My router drops it’s connection many times a day. The light goes orange, then flashes orange - the flashing gets slower. It then flashes orange and white then solid white when it reconnects. 
I have gone through the torture of chat  multiple times over several months. A new micro filter was sent but made no difference. I was promised a follow up contact but it didn’t happen. 

The log constantly shows DNS Failure - I don’t know if this helps with the diagnosis?
In addition when I’m streaming say Netflix and I download on another device (two devices only) the Netflix buffers or drops out. Very annoying. 
My router is TalkTalk Wi-Fi Hub
Hardware Version FAST5364 3.00

Software Version SG4K10002816t

0 Likes
21 REPLIES 21

Message 1 of 22

Hi

Glad Openreach were able to locate the fault and progress towards a solution for you.

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

appleby18
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 2 of 22

Hi Karl,

Thanks for requesting Openreach. They came the next morning and straight away said there was an earth fault (not in the house or the wire from the pole to the house) They did a temporary fix with a replacement underground cable and are scheduled to do a permanent underground cable replacement next week. 
Thanks for sorting for me!

0 Likes

Message 3 of 22

Hi

I've logged this out to BT Openreach for a Non Appointed engineer - Non appointed means the engineer will be dispatched to look at the line without requiring an appointment be made with you to visit your property.  

Thanks

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

appleby18
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 4 of 22

Hi. Just to update you my broadband has now failed completely. The orange light on router flashing but no internet connection 

0 Likes

Message 5 of 22
0 Likes

appleby18
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 6 of 22

Thanks Debbie - much appreciated. 

Message 7 of 22

Hi appleby18

Thank you. If the same fault is still present with the new router then we will arrange an Openreach engineer visit.

Debbie

0 Likes

appleby18
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 8 of 22

Hi Debbie,

Thanks for sending new router. I will try it. 

Regarding the line fault, Michelle said yesterday there was noise on the line and I have experienced where I pick up the phone and the internet disconnects. Not every time but maybe one in twenty or slightly less?

I will repost after trying the new router to let you know 

Thanks again 

0 Likes

Message 9 of 22

Hi appleby18

The router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

We can only pass this fault to an external line engineer if the line test is detecting a line fault.

Thanks

Debbie

appleby18
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 10 of 22

I’m happy to try the new router although I believe it’s a line fault - Openreach have been out some years ago and everything was fine in the house. Tested the socket and the in house internet speed and when it was working it was fine. My own view is that it’s the line before it comes into the house and has been loads worse after I upgraded to my current plan.  
if your suggestion is Openreach check the line to the house (rather than in the house) then I think that’s the best option Although I am more than happy to try a new router to see how I get on if you think that’s sensible?

Thanks for your help

0 Likes

Message 11 of 22

Hi appleby18

Would you like me to send a replacement router first so we can rule this out?

appleby18
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 12 of 22

Hi Debbie,

Just to confirm I have never tested with a different router only a new filter. 

0 Likes

Message 13 of 22

Hi appleby18

Ok. If you have tested with a different router, cables and filter at the test socket and the connection is still dropping then the next step will be an Openreach engineer visit.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

appleby18
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 14 of 22

Hi,

That’s how it’s connected at the moment.
That’s why the very first pic shows just the cover of the socket.

When the BT (Openreach) engineer put the socket in some years ago he said it was best directly plugged into that socket outlet without the faceplate on. 
Thanks 

0 Likes

Message 15 of 22

Hi appleby18

That's great, thank you.

Please can you connect the filter and router at the test socket?

Would it be ok to leave the router in this set up for 24hrs to see if you still experience the same fault?

0 Likes

appleby18
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 16 of 22

Hi

Below is a pic of the back of the socket. 

appleby18_0-1647332454137.jpeg

Message 17 of 22

Hi appleby18

Thanks for your reply.

This socket should have a test socket behind the face plate.

Are there 2 small clips either side? If you gently squeeze the clips then the face plate should come away.

Thanks

0 Likes

appleby18
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 18 of 22

Hi Michelle 

I don’t really notice noise on the line (I’m not saying there isn’t) although a little while ago when I dialled out the internet would disconnect.  
I don’t use the landline much - maybe once a week. 
Below is a pic of master (only) socket. 
appleby18_0-1647330992076.jpeg

Thanks 

Message 19 of 22

Hello,

I've run a test on the line now which has detected a potential voice fault. Are you experiencing any issues with the voice service such as noise on the line or no dial tone? Does your main socket also have a test socket please?

Thanks

appleby18
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 20 of 22

Hi. Thanks for the fast response. 
I have updated my Community Profile as requested. 
Thanks Again

0 Likes