cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

TalkTalk wifi hub VPN connectivity issues via WIRED ethernet connection

justinium77
First Timer
Private Message
Message 5 of 5

Having obtained the TalkTalk wifihub I've been unable to connect to my workplace RDP (Remote Desktop Connection) from home through the Watchguard VPN via a wired connection.....although there is no issues when connecting wirelessly......which is most strange!

When connected via ethernet, I get the following error message: "Your computer can't connect to the remote desktop gateway server. Contact your network administrator for assistance."

I've spoken with a TalkTalk representative a few weeks ago who stated that TalkTalk refuse to provide VPN support, so would need to raise this with a member of my workplace's IT team - whom happily connected remotely to my pc in order to view the settings on the router.

Unfortunately, they couldn't find what was preventing ethernet connectivity....so, I've had no option but to raise with TalkTalk again.

The last TT staff member performed an internet test on my router and confirmed that it was working as expected and, after a bit of a wrestleing match, they agreed to send me a replacement Wifihub router; having set it up and plugging it all in, the same issue still applies so would seem that some settings need to be changed from the default factory state it arrives in.

To add to this, I've changed the  DNS settings to  (8,8,8,8) (8,8,4,4) which hasn't helped in any way.

The older HG633 router worked flawlessly with VPN; unfortunately the TalkTalk wifihub seems to be incompatible.

Just to reiterate, the wireless connection is fine.  It is the wired ethernet connection which doesn't work with VPN.

I've looked at all the other comments raised on this forum about connection issues via VPN on the TT wifihub but they all seem to point to issues wirelessly.  I seem to be the first person to raising the issue via a wired connection.

Can anyone help?

J.Pitaluga
0 Likes
4 REPLIES 4

Message 1 of 5

Hi justinium77

This is a strange issue, as Keith advises, the Hub works with multiple VPN clients and protocols.  A large portion of our own staff are using this hub and using VPN for remote working.

Have you tried a pin reset of the router - hold a pin or paperclip in the reset hole at the back for 10 seconds and this will fully reset the router. 

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 5

There are no known issues with VPN connections over either wired or wireless connections with this hub. However, I have asked one of TalkTalk's OCEs to pick your thread up and investigate it for you.

Due to the current Coronavirus situation, the OCEs are very busy and there will be more of a delay to get a TalkTalk response. The posts are responded to in time/date order, oldest first. Please try to avoid posting on here until TalkTalk have responded to you, otherwise, this will just put you further down the queue.

To save yourself time, please make sure that your community profile includes your first & last names, broadband phone number & if possible an alternative contact number. This can be done by clicking on your Avatar picture then click on "My Settings" followed by:-

Personal Profile > Personal Information

Otherwise, TalkTalk will not be able to tie up your forum username to your broadband account. Only you & TalkTalk have visibility of your details.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 3 of 5

Hi Keith,

Yes, I would have hoped so...but it doesn't seem to be so straightforward.

And to allow VPN over wireless but not ethernet wired connection is most bizarre.

To answer your question, I have the Sagemcom wifi hub.

J.Pitaluga
0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 5

Of course TalkTalk allows the use of VPNs. Which WiFi hub do you have (Sagemcom or Huawei)?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes