cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Updating Talk talk Mail settings

Wartime
First Timer
Private Message
Message 6 of 6

I have had 2 emails from Talk talk asking me to update my Mail settings.

I clicked on the Help Page icon in the email but I am struggling to make any progress.

Can someone please give me simple step-by-step instructions on how to update?

I use my own domain name with Windows Live Mail on my desktop PC running Windows 10, also on a laptop running Windows 11, and also Gmail on an assortment of iPads and iPhones.

0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5

Message 1 of 6

The move from POP3 to IMAP is easy. But with one important consideration. IMAP leaves mail messages on the online server. POP3 downloads and may delete online mail. So, if you have any downloaded mail you need to keep then that must be saved to a backup folder or device before deleting the POP3 email account.

Delete and set up a new IMAP personal email account is what's needed.

Guides below in Email Settings.

The TalkTalk Mail Support Hub is your go to resource for information, guides and Community support for TalkTalk Consumer home broadband and MailPlus subscribers.

Select here:
TalkTalk Mail Support

TalkTalk Mail help

Email settings and device setup guides

Setting up TalkTalk email on iPhone

Setting up TalkTalk email on iPad

Setting up TalkTalk email on an Android device

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

0 Likes

Message 2 of 6

Hi Gondola,

It looks like I will need to move from POP3 to IMAP (if I can work out how to do it)

The other problem I had is that it did not seem obvious how to access the settings menu in order to update; I hope it will become clear as I work through the details of your latest reply.

Thanks for now,

Wartime

0 Likes

Message 3 of 6

Hi Wartime 

The settings you must update cannot be done with Windows Live Mail (WLM) because that product does not support secure mail. You'll find that out of date settings and out of date products like WLM will cease to work with TalkTalk Mail.

The settings given by TalkTalk are for IMAP secure mail*. You said you use POP3 email accounts so the settings I'll give you below are for POP3 secure mail for use with your worldonline.co.uk email account when it's added to the Gmail email app. The only difference to the TalkTalk recommended settings is the port number. IMAP secure incoming server is on port 993 and POP3 secure incoming server is on port 995. TalkTalk recommend you use only IMAP secure email accounts and may at some time cease to support POP3 protocol so just a heads up on that possibility.

If you see that your existing incoming settings port number is 143 or 993 then that's for an IMAP email account so use port 993 for IMAP secure.

If you see that your existing incoming settings port number is 110 or 995 then that's for a POP3 email account so use port 995 for POP3 secure.

You can access the Gmail app settings via the triple line menu icon on the Gmail header, then select the cog icon for Settings then select the Worldonline email account, scroll down to Server settings and update Incoming settings and Outgoing settings.

The email client software / app will require updating of email settings. All TalkTalk Consumer mailboxes use the same Email Settings. See  TalkTalk Mail Support Hub

On updating the email software incoming, outgoing and some advanced server settings, you'll possibly be asked to accept a new certificate (yes, accept) and to enter the email password so have the current password ready. Tick to remember or save the password before entering it.

Supported* email app settings for Worldonline on the Gmail email app are:

Account Type  POP3 secure
Incoming settings  
Username Full Worldonline email address
Password Wordonline email password
Server mail.talktalk.net
Incoming Port 995
Security Type SSL/TLS
Outgoing settings  
Require Sign in Yes
Username Full Worldonline email address
Password Wordonline email password
SMTP server smtp.talktalk.net
Outgoing Port 587
Security type STARTTLS

It's also important to make sure the email address is added to a TalkTalk Consumer customer MyAccount to avoid restriction to webmail only access and possible deletion. 

Email not showing in My Account

TalkTalk Mail Plus is the mail only subscription service for TalkTalk Mail users in the UK that are not home broadband customers.

* Email clients, apps and devices that do not support secure mail using a minimum of TLS1.2 connection security are not supported.
TalkTalk may also choose to disable POP3 connectivity which is why IMAP email is recommended.

0 Likes

Wartime
First Timer
Private Message
Message 4 of 6

Gondola,

Thanks for this. Does that mean that I do not need to update the settings to continue sending and receiving emails with Live Mail and Gmail?

Regarding your last paragraph, we are at worldonline.co.uk (before that it was Tiscali) and we are connected via a TalktalkC7C604 Wi-Fi router. I think it's a POP3 account. (I had to look up WLM to see what it meant so you will gather that I have a poor understanding of the technology terms!)

Wartime

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 6

The messages from TalkTalk are about TalkTalk Mail email address(es) only. Nothing to do with personal domain addresses nor Gmail addresses.

TalkTalk Mail does not support Windows Live Mail.

What's the TalkTalk email domain you're using and how are you connecting to the TalkTalk Mail servers? Other than WLM what email software are you using and with what type of email account (IMAP or POP3)?

0 Likes