cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

Email access been restricted to webmail

RebGershon
Participant
Private Message
Private Message

Message 17 of 17

My Onetel.com email account has locked as per other postings on this thread. I normally use Thunderbird and tbh when the 1st email came from TalkTalk about adjusting security settings a few months ago I thought it was a hoax so I ignored it and did nothing until the latest email warning of suspension of service came last Tuesday. I immediately changed the settings and all was working fine until Thursday afternoon since when I can no longer use Thunderbird to download my emails but I may still be able to send using SMTP.

Unlike Carlstespen I only have 1 device, my PC accessing emails with Thunderbird but I use an invoicing programme which will send invoices etc. via my Onetel email account. However, I haven't sent anything since last weekend.

I would really like to know/understand what more I can do to lift the block as frankly I find webmail a real pain. I have had a Onetel email account since 2002 when i was a customer for phone and internet long before the days of TalkTalk.

Any help appreciated.

0 Likes
16 REPLIES 16

Message 1 of 17

Good news indeed.

We do appreciate your time in letting us know. Thank you.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

Message 2 of 17

To Ady & Gondola,

we have good news!

Normal service restored. I have over 100 emails in my Thunderbird inbox when I checked just now.

Thank you both for your efforts much appreciated for restoring the service, you made me a happy man.😊

Regards,

Rebgershon.

Message 3 of 17

Many thanks Ady,

Here's hoping.

Rebgershon.

Message 4 of 17

Ady wasn't working on Friday it seems and nothing much got done. So I hope Ady is back early next week to pick up quite a lot of topics that have been waiting too long for action.

Message 5 of 17

Hi again Gondola,

latest login attempt 10 minutes ago failed yet again. I made sure to re input the correct password too. 

I guess there'll be no change now until next week?

😭

Rebgershon.

Message 6 of 17

Thanks,

here's hoping😊

Message 7 of 17

I don't know why this topic isn't being picked up. I've emailed escalations into TalkTalk's workflow on 26th Feb, 28th Feb and again today 3rd March. So I've asked the question to one of the Support team online today to find out more.

Message 8 of 17

Hi again,

sorry to bother you again but still no joy with Thunderbird.

Any update as to when 'normal service will be resumed'?

Message 9 of 17

Hi RebGerShon, I've added your mailbox to those to be restored to normal function. Please allow 48 hours for the change to complete.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 10 of 17

Thanks for your reply Gondola.

Message 11 of 17

I escalated a request into the TalkTalk workflow on 26th but can see this hasn't been picked up yet. It'll be a further couple of days using webmail until the mailbox does get device access switched back on.

Message 12 of 17

Hi again Gondola,

as of yet I still only have webmail & still can't access via Thunderbird.

Rebgershon.

Message 13 of 17

Hi Gondola,

thanks for your reply and offer to get the tech team to remove the suspension-much appreciated.

Incidentally, I don't send emails via Tiscali on via Onetel but I'll change the Tiscali SMTP settings to reflect what you said.

Interesting what you said about not making a difference in case for 'o' as a couple of years ago I had problems sending emails and there was a posting from someone who said to use capital O in the SMTP settings which I've done ever since. I can't find that post anymore though.

Thanks again,

rebgershon.

Message 14 of 17

Hi @RebGershon 

If the mailboxes have been limited to webmail only because of the use of insecure settings then I can request access is restored once we get the settings on Thunderbird updated.

Domain names are not case sensitive so onetel.com is the same as Onetel.com.

You're showing me two lots of POP3 accounts on Thunderbird.

The onetel account has a perfect setup

The tiscali account is shown with a onetel username for the outgoing SMTP server.

It is important that each account is set up with its own SMTP outgoing server. This is because the account is authenticated with the username (full email address) and account password. So, trying to authenticate the tiscali account with the onetel address and password for the outgoing SMTP server will not get authenticated.

The secure mail settings are good for onetel so I've requested that full access is restored for the email address mailbox in your Community profile Private notes.

TalkTalk Support will respond here and access returned within a couple of days after that. Until then use TalkTalk Mail webmail via an up to date Internet browser to keep in touch with email contacts.

RebGershon
Participant
Private Message
Message 15 of 17

Hi Gondola,

I've changed and rechecked my email settings but am still unable to download my emails with Thunderbird. I also have a tiscali account and after changing settings I downloaded over 1000 emails so I know its not a Thunderbird issue now.

I'm using Thunderbird v 102.8.0 and running Windows 10 Home v. 22H2 so all up to date.

Please the the uploaded pictures of my Thunderbird settings both for Onetel & Tiscali.

I am able to send emails via onetel just not  receive from onetel  in Thunderbird.

Should the 'o' of onetel be upper or lower case?

I've tried to upload pictures of settings but keep getting an error message to provide a caption for each picture which I applied  so here are the settings for each account:

Onetel:

POP

Server: mail.talktalk.net  Port: 995

Username: xxxxx@onetel.com

Security: SSL/TLS

Authentication Method: Normal Password

SMTP:

Server: smtp.talktalk.net

Port: 587

Security: STARTTLS

Authentication: Normal password

Username: xxxxx@Onetel.com (note uppercase 'o')

Tiscali

POP

Server: mail.talktalk.net  Port: 995

Username: xxxxx@tiscali.co.uk

Security: SSL/TLS

Authentication Method: Normal Password

SMTP:

Server: smtp.talktalk.net

Port: 587

Security: STARTTLS

Authentication: Normal password

Username: xxxxx@Onetel.com (note uppercase 'o')

rebgershon.

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 16 of 17

If you saw the message from TalkTalk advising "Our records show that you are still accessing your email using unencrypted email settings, because of this you will no longer be able to receive or send emails via this email app or software" then the email address receiving that notification has been limited to webmail only access as a last resort action by TalkTalk to stop the use of insecure email.

TalkTalk Mail webmail is secure by design using an up to date Internet browser.

Select here: Sign in to TalkTalk Mail

Enter your full TalkTalk Mail email address and password, select Sign in.

You will be able to get email access restored to email apps or software including mail collection services so long as you're ready to use up to date and secure email settings for all the ways you view emails. We can advise on device and software compatibility and provide customer setup guides.

Settings for Thunderbird that you say is the only way you view emails are given below.

On updating the Thunderbird email software Server Settings (incoming mail) and outgoing SMTP server settings, for any active mailbox that does have IMAP / POP3 access, you'll possibly be asked to accept a new certificate (yes, accept) and to enter the email password when using Thunderbird to read or write emails so have the current password ready (when you've set a new password). Tick to remember or save the password before entering it. Each email address needs to have it's own settings and its own outgoing SMTP server because outgoing authentication requires the email account User Name and Password.

User Name is the full email address and Password is the email password.

• Start Thunderbird
  • Select the Thunderbird triple line menu top right
  • Select Account Settings from the menu
  • Select Server Settings under the email account name in the left side panel
  • Use the entries as shown in the table
  • Look down the left side panel to Outgoing Server SMTP
  • Select Edit to update the Outgoing server settings as per the lower entries in the table below - remember to select the correct Outgoing Server for the correct email account.

Thunderbird email client settings for all TalkTalk Mail domains including talktalk, tiscali and their sister onetel and pipex email addresses are:

Account Type  IMAP secure Email Account
User Name Full email address
Password Email password
Incoming mail server (IMAP) mail.talktalk.net
Incoming Port 993
Incoming Connection Security SSL/TLS
Authentication Method Normal Password
Outgoing server (SMTP) smtp.talktalk.net
Outgoing Port 587
Outgoing Connection Security STARTTLS
Authentication Method Normal Password

However, if you happen to have a POP3 account then the only difference to the above table is the incoming server port that's 995 for POP3 secure mail.

For a definitive check of settings take screenshots of the incoming and outgoing server settings, image edit to obscure the first part of the email address and upload here using the Camera icon (desktop browser) or Picture icon (mobile browser) above this reply area.

When you confirm the secure settings are ready I can request TalkTalk Support to restore full access. TalkTalk Support will respond here and access will be restored usually within a couple of working days.

Prepare for TalkTalk Support - include in the Community Profile (not in these public posts):

Email account holder name

Scroll down to Private notes to add the email address(es)
and TalkTalk or MailPlus customer account number

Check and Save changes

Select here: Update your profile

The TalkTalk Mail Support Hub is your go to resource for information, guides and Community support for TalkTalk Consumer home broadband and MailPlus subscribers.

Select here:
TalkTalk Mail Support

TalkTalk Mail help
Using TalkTalk Mail

Email settings and device setup guides for TalkTalk Mail

About TalkTalk Mail Plus

0 Likes