cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

Not receiving some emails

ClareB8
Team Player
Private Message
Message 57 of 57

Someone has tried sending me an email 4 times and it still hasn’t come through! What can I do? How can I check if I’m not receiving other emails too? Thank you!

0 Likes
56 REPLIES 56

Message 41 of 57

Not seeing these options as using the Gmail and email apps on the Smartphone.

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

Message 42 of 57

In Gmail it's in the menu as <> show original

In Yahoo Mail it's in the menu as View raw message

Redact personal email addresses before posting. What I'm looking for is the lines that start:

ARC-Authentication-Results:
Return-Path:
Received: from

A previous header I'd seen from hotmail.com indicated in ARC that the message was not authenticated.

To check for sender compliance with SPF I need the Outlook.com sending IP address.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

0 Likes

Message 43 of 57

Do you mean the bit that just shows TLS?

0 Likes

Message 44 of 57

I need an email header to determine the root cause.

0 Likes

Message 45 of 57

I repeated the Test message from Hotmail to Talktalk and it failed again.

But sending from Hotmail to Gmail and Hotmail to Yahoo has been received immediately.

So not fundamentally a hotmail problem?

In its efforts to reduce Spam, is Talktalk delivering false results?

0 Likes

Message 46 of 57

The issue affecting outgoing hotmail.com addresses is exactly the same as happened back in August as reported here: Bleeping Computer report on hotmail SPF fail.

Looking at the SPF records for hotmail.com shows it configured for strict SPF compliance (a hard fail) and the normally expected sender lists for spf.protection.outlook.com is absent.

I'd need to see an email header from hotmail to determine if the sender IP address is missing from the SPF record(s). Some of the IP address ranges for spf.protection.outlook.com were reportedly added in to other 'includes' for the hotmail.com servers.

Comparing the SPF records as they are today 30 Dec 2023:

Hotmail.com

v=spf1 ip4:157.55.9.128/25 include:spf-a.outlook.com include:spf-b.hotmail.com include:spf-b.outlook.com include:spf-a.hotmail.com include:_spf-ssg-b.microsoft.com include:_spf-ssg-c.microsoft.com -all

Outlook.com

v=spf1 include:spf-a.outlook.com include:spf-b.outlook.com ip4:157.55.9.128/25 include:spf.protection.outlook.com include:spf-a.hotmail.com include:_spf-ssg-b.microsoft.com include:_spf-ssg-c.microsoft.com ~all

Outlook.com mail domains should work unless outgoing spam has been detected, sent mail via Outlook.com is a personal or other domain that does not have SPF configured or mail is being forwarded by an intermediary that does not rewrite the email header to provide SPF authentication by that intermediary sender.

0 Likes

Message 47 of 57

I just sent myself a test and got the same error message, @Barney23.

20231230_101020.jpg

0 Likes

Message 48 of 57

That’s a useful test. It makes sense if I read correctly that hotmail became outlook, so are from the same source. Therefore both seem equally affected.

It seems unlikely that the talk talk server is no longer able to receive from these as I assume they are widely used globally. I wonder if this is affecting everyone on TT. They wouldn’t necessarily know unless they are expecting an email that never arrives and look into it, as contributors here have done. Perhaps the talktalk tech dept can enlighten us. There may be a simple reason or just a temporary blip.

0 Likes

CliffW1
Popular Poster
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 49 of 57

I have access to 3 talktalk email addresses. Whenever I send an email to any of them from an Outlook account I get an "undeliverable" message - TT992 - that says there is a problem with the Talktalk inbox - and the emails do not arrive in Talktalk. But emails sent from gmail accounts get through okay. I can also send emails between my talktalk accounts with no problems, and emails sent FROM @talktalk to @outlook get through okay too.

To be clear - I sent a test email from my @outlook account to 3 @talktalk accounts, 3 @outlook accounts and 2 @gmail accounts. I got "undeliverable" messages from all 3 @talktalk accounts, but the email was delivered to all the @outlook and @gmail accounts.

I then sent the same test email from a gmail account to the 3 @talktalk accounts, 3 @outlook accounts and 2 @gmail accounts. All of these were delivered successfully. So I conclude that @talktalk.net inbox is rejecting all emails sent from @outlook.com, but is accepting emails from @talktalk and @gmail accounts. I don't know about others, such as @hotmail as I don't have any of those accounts

0 Likes

Message 50 of 57

This has recently happened. I’ve always been able to send from my hotmail to talk talk emails with no problem. Now TT bounces the hotmail as undelivered tt992. Hopefully it’s a temporary blip, Unless either hotmail or TT have recently changed a protocol and they’re not ‘talking’ any more. That would be bad. Hope not.

0 Likes

Message 51 of 57

Hi ClareB8

I've seen a recent email header that originated from a Hotmail email address and that suggested that Hotmail are not using the industry standard SPF authentication.

TalkTalk will treat all unauthenticated mail as spam and that's what the TT992 bounce error indicates.

Hotmail appear to be using Authenticated Received Chain (ARC) but this new system doesn't work for all mail services including TalkTalk Mail.

Your Hotmail contact should seek advice from Microsoft for this authentication issue.

0 Likes

Barney23
Chatterbox
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 52 of 57

I also have this issue. Talk talk email won’t receive from hotmail. Error tt992. Tried to send a hotmail to two different TT email accounts to test it and both reject with error tt992.

0 Likes

Message 53 of 57

I have emailed myself and that is not an issue.

0 Likes

Message 54 of 57
I have now checked my email account and I have no Rules and there is plenty of room in my mailbox quota.

I asked my friend to resend but it is not working from his @hotmail.co.uk email account but he's tried it from his @ntlworld.com email account and it has come through. Is this an issue with @talktalk.net or something else?

Thank you very much for your assistance.
0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 55 of 57

What's the domain for the email address - just the part of their email address after the @ symbol?  e.g. the primary mail domain in TalkTalk Mail is @talktalk.net. I'll check for authentication because TalkTalk do reject unauthenticated mail messages.

You can check your mailbox for Rules that may be diverting messages from your Inbox. If there are no rules defined then nothing will stop authenticated messages from arriving in the Inbox unless the mailbox quota is exceeded i.e. the mailbox is full.

Mailbox quota is viewable bottom left of the Folder view in TalkTalk Mail via the webmail sign in. That's also where to find any Filter Rules.

Select here: Sign in to TalkTalk Mail

Enter your email address and password, select Sign in.

Check the  Inbox first and then check  Spam and  Trash folders for mail messages that may have been diverted from the Inbox. Bear in mind the spam and trash folders normally contain mail not older than 30 days.

Select New email to compose and self-send the same mailbox a mail message. Check that the message sends without error, is copied into the Sent objects folder and arrives and stays in the Inbox.

Mail not reaching the Inbox could mean there's a Filter rule, including an Auto forward which is a special filter rule, that's diverting, discarding or blocking mail.

• Select the Main settings menu cog icon      top right on the blue header
      • Select All settings
      • Select Mail in the left side of the modal that opens
      • Scroll down to Rules and expand that section
        If there's no rule defined, that's perfect
      • To delete a Filter rule including any Auto forward
        select the X icon to the right of the rule
        The icon background will turn red
      • To confirm you really want to delete this Filter rule
        Select the blue Delete button

Let me know what you find.

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 56 of 57

Have you tried emailing yourself? Is the problem with an email client or webmail? What email domains are affected?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes