cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

Unable to access emails using Thunderbird

capers62
Team Player
Private Message
Message 20 of 20

Hi

There are similar threads but I don't seem to be able to reply to them, not sure why.

From start of play today, I have been unable to access incoming emails using Thunderbird.

I understand there was an issue with Talk Talk and emails from this morning as I phoned to hear an automated message indicating they were aware and engineers were investigating.

I phoned Technical a few hours later to be informed the problem had been rectified and this is correct, at least in terms of TT webmail which is working fine.

However, I get the following error message when attempting to download messages in Thunderbird:

Login to server imap.tiscali.co.uk with my username (email address) failed

I am prompted to retry my password or enter a new one though this is pre populated as I use a password manager. Either way the result is the same.

I am receiving TT webmail messages as normal. A computer restart has no effect.

Please confirm if this issue (relating to Thunderbird or other third party email clients) is still being investigated, as indicated by Karl's response to David's thread entitled "Unable to login to emails" first posted 11 hours ago.   

Thanks,

Andy

0 Likes
19 REPLIES 19

Message 1 of 20

Hi Gondola,

Re same password for TT webmail and Thunderbird, it would seem so and yet Thunderbird was working with a different password up to 1 September. In any case, I have saved the Thunderbird password now.

Regards,

Andy

Message 2 of 20

The password for webmail is the one to use with Thunderbird. The mailbox just has the one password so if you've set up Thunderbird with the working password for webmail and it works then save that Thunderbird password.

Good to know it was an easy fix in the end.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

0 Likes

Message 3 of 20

Hi Gondola,

I seem to have managed to solve the issue by matching my existing Talk Talk webmail password with the one used on Thunderbird, which was previously different though worked correctly until 1 September.

I will now phone Talk Talk Technical back to give them the good news.

Thanks,

Andy

Message 4 of 20

Ady-TalkTalk is the email expert and is the go-to person for Email support. But if you wish to wait that's fine.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 20

Hi Gondola,

That would be really useful but perhaps wait for Natasha to investigate and report back on Friday? I'm not sure whether Talk Talk Managers and Community Support work in tandem or independently.

Kind regards,

Andy

0 Likes

Message 6 of 20

Would you like me to escalate the issue to TalkTalk Community Support to fix this for you?

0 Likes

Message 7 of 20

Hi Chris,

I have just phoned Talk Talk Technical for an update/to see if there is an indication that someone is investigating the issue I raised (though it is still technically within the 72 hour window for a response).

It seems I was misinformed by the adviser I spoke with earlier this week on Monday. The problem I have has not been escalated as I was advised it would be.

I then had a conversation with Natasha, one of the managers, and she reiterated that there is only limited support available for third party apps such as Thunderbird (which I already knew), and this was basically to check and amend the server settings. 

As previously mentioned, I changed the server settings to those recommended with no effect. I have also very briefly disabled the firewall and anti virus programs with the same outcome.

From memory, this login to server failed error has happened before (though a long time ago) and Talk Talk were able to resolve the issue by doing some sort of server reset at their end (no more details known). 

Natasha has agreed to see if there if there is anything else they can do and call me on Friday 8 September via my mobile.

Kind regards,

Andy

0 Likes

Message 8 of 20

OK thanks for the update Andy

Chris

Message 9 of 20

Hi Chris,

Just a quick update, I have phoned Technical and they have agreed to escalate the issue though limited support is available for third party applications.

However, I do believe the problem has coincided with the wider TT webmail outage which started last Friday and has now been resolved (as far as I am aware). I stopped being able to receive Thunderbird emails on this date.

A further communication from TT is anticipated within 72 hours (2-3 working days).

Regards,

Andy

Message 10 of 20

Hi Chris,

As explained to Gondola over the weekend, I am still having an issue with receiving emails through Thunderbird but will be contacting TT Technical Support later this morning for them to investigate.

I have encountered this problem before (though not recently) and it is always preceded by a wider TT outage related to webmail, which has a knock on effect for third party mail clients.

Thankfully, I am still able to receive TT webmail at the moment.

Regards,

Andy

0 Likes

Message 11 of 20

Hi capers62,

How are you getting on, do you still need assistance with this?

Chris

Message 12 of 20

Hi

I will need to contact TT Technical on Monday to allow them to investigate the issue in more detail.

Regards,

Andy

0 Likes

Message 13 of 20

I'll step back then whilst you wait for TalkTalk to do something.

0 Likes

Message 14 of 20

Thanks for your reply.

Until the start of yesterday I was receiving messages through Thunderbird using my old server settings which, incidentally, are the same as those used by my brother - again with no issues.

The wider Talk Talk webmail problem (now apparently resolved) coincided with when I could not receive Thunderbird messages.

Personally, I think something else has changed as this has happened before and, from memory, TT Technical were able to resolve it though I can't remember exactly how they did it.

Regards,

Andy

0 Likes

Message 15 of 20

On the basis of that outcome it suggests that your mailbox may be limited to webmail only access.

To troubleshoot do a download of BlueMail desktop email app and set that up.  Just enter your tiscali email address and password and the app will usually set up automatically.

As a cross check of settings, here are the required settings for the BlueMail desktop app.

BlueMail (Desktop email app)

The description below is for the Desktop BlueMail app and is for an IMAP email account. If you want BlueMail set up as a POP3 account then the only difference is the port number 995 for the incoming Server Settings.

Bluemail (Desktop app)

• Select the Settings cog icon (bottom left)
  • Select Account Settings
  • On the Edit Account tab
    Select Incoming / Outgoing Settings

Incoming Server Settings

• Email Address: Your full TalkTalk email address
  • Username: Your full TalkTalk email address
  • Password: Your TalkTalk email password
  • IMAP Server: mail.talktalk.net
  • Security: SSL/TLS (check certificate)
  • Authentication: PLAIN
  • Port: 993
  • Select Next

Outgoing Server Settings

• Username: Your full TalkTalk email address
  • Password: Your TalkTalk email password
  • SMTP Server: smtp.talktalk.net
  • Security: STARTTLS (check certificate)
  • Authentication: Automatic
  • Port: 587
  • Tick: Require sign in

Let me know that your email is working using those settings or if not then let me know the password length and if that includes multi-case letters and at least one number and a symbol.

0 Likes

Message 16 of 20

Hi

I have amended my server settings as you suggested, restarting my computer so that the new server name takes effect but have received the same error message when attempting to download messages through Thunderbird:

Login to server mail.talktalk.net with username (email address) failed, with options to retry, enter new password or cancel. Additional attempts result in the same outcome.

Any thoughts or further advice appreciated.

Thanks,

Andy

0 Likes

Message 17 of 20

Start with changing your Thunderbird setup to use the correct settings and then we can help with troubleshooting if necessary.

0 Likes

capers62
Team Player
Private Message
Message 18 of 20

Hi Gondola,

Thanks for your reply.

I will check my server settings but please bear in mind that until today I have been receiving emails through Thunderbird without any issues, except occasional timing out of server which may be related to not having the correct setting?

Regards,

Andy

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 19 of 20

Hi Andy

You're not using the correct email settings:

IMAP : tiscali.co.ukIMAP : tiscali.co.uk