cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

Why can't I delete a mailbox?

Salamander2
Participant
Private Message
Message 9 of 9

I set up a new mailbox on Talktalk My Account but Outlook can't find it to set it up.

The address has an & in it but Outlook seems to miss it out in the address it searches for.

I tried to delete the address on Talktalk My Account so I could make one without the & in it, but after hitting delete I just get the dots going round and round until the website times out.

0 Likes
8 REPLIES 8

Message 1 of 9

OK, if you're going to use only webmail we'll consider this topic closed.

But if you need help then just post a new topic.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

Salamander2
Participant
Private Message
Message 2 of 9

Yes it's on Windows 10.

Thanks

Andrew

0 Likes

Message 3 of 9

I assume that's Windows Mail on Windows 10 or 11? That's ok if you use secure settings in the sync options.

Don't use Outlook prior to Outlook 2016 or you may risk your mailbox being permanently limited to webmail.

Salamander2
Participant
Private Message
Message 4 of 9

Gondola thanks for your help

I can access the mailbox on webmail, so will use that for now. I do use Windows Mail but don't find it as convenient as Outlook. That's progress I guess!!

Regards

Andrew

0 Likes

Message 5 of 9

Hi Andrew

You seem to have signed out of Community without responding.

I've gone back through your past posts and you were using Outlook 2007 in 2020 but were planning on upgrading. So, I hope you're not still using Outlook 2007 or if you are then, as that product is incapable of supporting the secure mail standard that TalkTalk now require it's likely that TalkTalk will withdraw or may have already withdrawn email client access and limit the mailbox to webmail only because of the continued use of insecure settings.

Message 6 of 9

OK, so it looks like there's an issue with the Delete process as well as Outlook not finding the address to complete a setup.

For that Delete process did you get the Permanently delete mailbox modal pop-up? And then select the blue Delete mailbox button?

MyAccount - Permanently delete mailbox modal

The mailbox would appear to be active and recognised as deliverable on the TalkTalk Mail platform. You'll presumably be able to sign in to webmail and both send and receive mail?

Select here: Sign in to TalkTalk Mail

Enter your email address and password, select Sign in.

Compose and self-send the same mailbox a mail message. Check that the message sends without error, is copied into the Sent objects folder and arrives and stays in the Inbox.

What version of Outlook are you using? And what's the computer Operating system? Once I know the computer OS and Outlook both support secure mail I'll give you the setup process to go through step by step.

Instead of setting up an email account in Outlook have you tried an alternative email client like Windows Mail on Windows 10/11 or Thunderbird or Bluemail desktop software? Asking just in case it's an Outlook specific setup issue. Best to add new accounts to Outlook via a profile to make sure that settings are accepted.

Or if no setup on alternative email clients works we may have to consider that that the email address has been limited to webmail only access.

Salamander2
Participant
Private Message
Message 7 of 9

Thanks for the detailed reply!

The address was created on the Talktalk my account website Manage Talktalk mail section. I don't recall if there was a green success banner, but it comes up in the list of mailboxes when I go to Manage Talktalk mail again.

The test email sent OK.

Verifalia says it is deliverable.

Talktalk.co.uk let me change the password.

But it still gets stuck deleting the mailbox.

Cheers

Andrew

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 9

Hi Salamander2 

The & in an email address local part is valid but not recommended as some mail systems do not recognise all special characters. Assuming the email address was created on the TalkTalk Mail platform and you saw a green success banner in MyAccount then some checks will reveal if the address is active or not.  I do know the TalkTalk Mail platform will accept the & in the local part.

So first you'd check if the email address is active. Send the email address a mail message and see if you get an immediate bounceback error message saying 'Undeliverable' that means the mailbox isn't active.

Then  enter the email address at Verifalia, an external website that verifies if an email address exists. Enter the email address, complete the reCAPTCHA and select the Validate button. Does the top line response say 'Deliverable' or something else?

Finally, use the Reset password now button in the Help page  Changing your email password to see if you get a no domain error message.

Let us know the outcome in each case.

If the email address was not created on the TalkTalk Mail platform but was added to MyAccount then it'll not be deletable by you as the delete process looks for an active address on the TalkTalk Mail platform and if it does not find an address to delete the process will not complete.

TalkTalk Support would need to authorise deletion for you.

0 Likes