cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

the effects of a hack

Pennym622
First Timer
Private Message
Message 3 of 3

A hacker created a new email address which is now connected to my real email address and sends undeliverable messages to senders.

Talktalk now thinks I can't receive emails and is going to start sending paper bills and charging me.

How do I get rid of the phoney email address please?

0 Likes
2 REPLIES 2

Ady-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 1 of 3

Hi Pennym62, I've sent you a personal message to obtain more information.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Gondola
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 3

Prepare for TalkTalk Mail Support by including in your Community Profile, Personal Information (here):

• Your name, current home 'phone number. An alternative (mobile preferred) contact number. Full address with postcode (Location)
  • Scroll down to Private notes to add email address(es), notes and references etc
  • After checking and updating, Save changes

We'll assume your mailbox is compromised.

• First scan your email devices to remove any possible password capture by virus, trojan or other malware
  • Sign in to TalkTalk Mail webmail
  • Check you have password recovery options saved
  • Change and upgrade your password
  • Sign back in to TalkTalk Mail webmail using the new password
  • Inspect the mailbox for signs of the hacker sending mail messages. Look in the Sent objects and Trash folders
  • Then delete all Filter rules.

Select here: Sign in to TalkTalk Mail

Enter your email address and password, select Sign in.

Update your reset details is an option on the main settings menu (triple line icon on the top right header or cog icon on a mobile browser).

Menu options - Update your reset details 05Aug2020

Check, update and Save the Reset details if needed, then use the Reset password now button in the help page  Changing your email password.

My recommendation is to exceed the minimum required and use a password of 12-15 multicase letters and numbers and a symbol. Created from multiple words gives an opportunity to memorise the password that, for security, needs to be unique to the mailbox. The Internet browser that you use for TalkTalk Mail may also offer to generate a secure password and can save the login for you.

TalkTalk eBill notifications not reaching the Inbox and being diverted to a hackers email address would mean there's a Filter rule, including an Auto forward which is a special filter rule, that's diverting, discarding or blocking mail.

• To check, select the Main Settings menu icon      triple line icon top right on the blue header
    (Mobile browser? use the desktop version)
  • Select Settings from the top of the menu
  • Select the inward facing arrowhead by Mail (or Email) in the left side panel
  • Select Filter Rules
    If there's no rule defined, that's perfect
  • To delete a Filter rule including any Auto forward
    select the Dustbin icon    to the right of the rule
    The icon background will turn red    
  • To confirm you really want to delete this Filter rule
    Select the blue Delete button

Let us know what you find.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution