cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

DSL Intermittent Drop Outs

SiHancox
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 28 of 28

Hi TalkTalk,

All this afternoon I’ve been experiencing intermittent DSL disconnections, this triggered the Routers front light to flash after which the connection would be reestablished.

Everything has been fine for as far back as I can remember, and I’ve never experienced anything like this before.

The frequency of these DSL drop outs are anywhere from 10 to 15 minutes earlier this afternoon to around 3/4 hour later in the day (they have continued in to tea time as well).

I’ve run all the TT tests and speed is still very good, Router apparently is up to date with firmware and you are not showing any work that could disrupt my service in the area.

But this definitely feels like an exchange or local issue by the way it suddenly drops and quickly reestablishes itself (although can’t rule out Router) and I’ve noted ongoing cable work in my local town that’s occurring between me and the exchange…a coincidence may be!

At the time of these DSL drop out I’ve not noticed any problem with the phone though, I have a dial tone and no noise is on line.

As far as I can tell my DSL Information stats look as usual…in other words nothing obvious has changed with respect to line quality…and speed tests done throughout the day have remained consistently high (ie. 70/17).

The Router is the only thing plugged it to Master Socket 5C Mk4, using the cable supplied with the Router (DG8041W)…so no phone is on this socket.

So before I start to blame the Router could someone please check to see if anything “external” was either happening or is still ongoing that could account for this sudden situation.

Thanks in advance.

Si.

EDIT: The issue has continued in to the evening (now 2245 hours), initially the frequency between drop outs increased to nearly an hour then back to approximately half hour again.

In an attempt to rule out things at my end I took off face plate to Master Socket and connected direct to the internal socket…no improvement. I then exchanged the cable (new spare) from that internal socket to the Router…again no improvement.

So I can only conclude there is an issue ongoing with the Open Reach network in my neighbourhood, if that’s not the case then it looks as though the Router is failing.

0 Likes
27 REPLIES 27

SiHancox
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 21 of 28

Thanks Chris, I don’t want to tempt fate but DSL has been “up” for the last 1 hour and 40 minutes…so may be there’s some movement on a resolution (fingers crossed).

Si.

0 Likes

Message 22 of 28

No further updates at the moment

Chris

0 Likes

Message 23 of 28

No problem, I'll check again a bit later

Chris

SiHancox
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 24 of 28

Thanks for the additional info Chris, it’s always comforting when an issue is “confirmed” and it’s not just me or my kit going mad.

And I understand this is something outside of TalkTalk control.

Would appreciate if you or one of your colleagues could periodically keep me abreast of developments if that’s possible though…even if it’s getting more clarity on what’s happening and time scale for resolution.

As always thanks for the prompt service…it’s much appreciated.

Si.

0 Likes

Message 25 of 28

Unfortunately I don't think there's much you can do other than sit tight. It doesn't really give much information about the issue, it just says that your line is affected by an outage but as this will be affecting a number of people it's usually fixed as a priority and so hopefully will be resolved soon. Apologies for any inconvenience

Chris

0 Likes

SiHancox
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 26 of 28

Hi Chris,

Good morning.

Still the same I’m afraid.

I looked in Router settings this morning and DSL was showing up time of 15 mins, so I assume it’s been bouncing around with trying to stay connected all night.

I left my Streamer playing Radio 3 this morning and I got nearly one hour of uninterrupted play before a DSL reconnect happened…so it’s definitely not sorted but might be they are trying.

I looked out all my old Routers from the attic just in case I needed to temporarily revert back to one of them, but with all the WiFi devices I now have that isn’t going to be a quick task and I’d rather avoid if possible.

Through all of this the WiFi side of the Hub has remained rock solid…and the DSL reconnects have been very prompt…even running a speed tests between these interruptions has give top speeds.

So it’s just the persistent DSL drops that can occur anywhere between 15 min to an hour intervals.

What do you suggest other than sit tight 😁

Si.

EDIT: Just had another DSL interruption after finished typing…so that was around 30 minute from last.

0 Likes

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 27 of 28

Hi SiHancox,

It does appear that there's an incident at your exchange. How is your service this morning?

Chris

0 Likes