cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

DSL Intermittent Drop Outs

SiHancox
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 28 of 28

Hi TalkTalk,

All this afternoon I’ve been experiencing intermittent DSL disconnections, this triggered the Routers front light to flash after which the connection would be reestablished.

Everything has been fine for as far back as I can remember, and I’ve never experienced anything like this before.

The frequency of these DSL drop outs are anywhere from 10 to 15 minutes earlier this afternoon to around 3/4 hour later in the day (they have continued in to tea time as well).

I’ve run all the TT tests and speed is still very good, Router apparently is up to date with firmware and you are not showing any work that could disrupt my service in the area.

But this definitely feels like an exchange or local issue by the way it suddenly drops and quickly reestablishes itself (although can’t rule out Router) and I’ve noted ongoing cable work in my local town that’s occurring between me and the exchange…a coincidence may be!

At the time of these DSL drop out I’ve not noticed any problem with the phone though, I have a dial tone and no noise is on line.

As far as I can tell my DSL Information stats look as usual…in other words nothing obvious has changed with respect to line quality…and speed tests done throughout the day have remained consistently high (ie. 70/17).

The Router is the only thing plugged it to Master Socket 5C Mk4, using the cable supplied with the Router (DG8041W)…so no phone is on this socket.

So before I start to blame the Router could someone please check to see if anything “external” was either happening or is still ongoing that could account for this sudden situation.

Thanks in advance.

Si.

EDIT: The issue has continued in to the evening (now 2245 hours), initially the frequency between drop outs increased to nearly an hour then back to approximately half hour again.

In an attempt to rule out things at my end I took off face plate to Master Socket and connected direct to the internal socket…no improvement. I then exchanged the cable (new spare) from that internal socket to the Router…again no improvement.

So I can only conclude there is an issue ongoing with the Open Reach network in my neighbourhood, if that’s not the case then it looks as though the Router is failing.

0 Likes
27 REPLIES 27

Message 1 of 28

Hi Si,

Thanks for the update, I'll let Stephen know now. I'm glad to hear that your connection has remained consistent and please do let us know if anything does change.

Many thanks

Michelle 🙂

Message 2 of 28

Hi Michelle,

Good afternoon.

You may have already picked upon my reply to Stephen but just in case, he’s offered to revert me back to my original user ID of “SiHancox”…which will be nice. Everything forum wise continues to work great so that one can be closed out now.

I’m leaving MyAccount login alone at the moment (so can be closed out as well), not having password access isn’t an inconvenience…in fact like I said previously I feel my account is that little bit more secure.

Thanks for confirming that those two DSL drops were due to re-profiling (thought as much)…I did a Router move yesterday around 1700hrs to fine tune WiFi reception so that was me.

So this all looks good as well, I’ll keep my eye on it for a little while longer because I still see Virgin Media floating around the town…putting these new kiosks by existing ones…but they seem to be down to just a single gang now, hopefully it’s coming to an end (if that work was responsible).

Anyhow, as always, thanks for keeping a watch on this, it’s appreciated.

Regards,

Si.

Message 3 of 28

Good morning Si,

Thanks for the update. I'll ask my colleague to have a look at your other topic for you.

I've re-checked the connection stats now and this was DLM again, adjusting the profiles so it looks like your connection is stable.

Thanks

Michelle 🙂

0 Likes

Message 4 of 28

Hi Michelle,

Firstly I believe (fingers crossed) my forum login issue might now be resolved…I’ve certainly not seen that dreaded “link account” page over last couple of days, and account now seems to be associated with SiHancox3.

I’ve replied same in the other discussion as well.

I would like to revert back to my original user name so have asked if that is possible, how might it be done and whether doing so might cause any further issues!

Regarding DSL drop outs, I’ve noticed over last 4 days or so two have occurred in the early hours…

15th Dec @ 0056hrs

16th Dec @ 0202hrs

Speed Test still reporting reasonably good service though, 67/18, a little up and down but mainly in the same ballpark (could be daily/hourly variations).

What I’d like confirming if possible please…are the above reconnections part of a normal process either triggered via TalkTalk or Open Reach…or is my “connection” still trying to sort itself out.

Anyhow, appreciate you will not pick this up until Monday.

Thanks,

Si.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 28

Hi Si,

I'm sorry to hear that. I've raised your other topic for investigation to find out why this keep happening. I've re-checked your connection stats now and I can see the re-connection on the line. Hopefully this now remains stable but if not then we can investigate this further for you.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 6 of 28

Hi Michelle,

Sorry again for the delay…really having difficulty getting on forum at moment…I’ve setup yet another account to gain access at the moment and to start a new discussion (see link below).

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Fibre/Signing-In-to-the-Forum-Difficulty/m-p/3007360#M383611 

Anyhow, regarding DSL drops, not sure but saw Router front light flashing at about 1700 hrs today, and I had no internet. Thought it may have been another re-sync but it lasted too long for my liking, so I triggered a power off/on and it re-connected quickly and been ok since.

So not sure what that could have been down to…may be still some settling down in Exchange or Open Reach are still messing around, did notice some activity down the road by Virgin installing new “boxes” by existing kiosks…I’ll be glad when everyone stops digging up my town.

Si.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 28

Morning,

I'm sorry to hear that you've experienced issues getting back onto our Community. I'll feed this back.

I'm glad to hear that the speeds have remained consistent 🙂 If anything does change then please just post back here.

Thanks

Michelle 🙂

0 Likes

Message 8 of 28

Hi Michelle,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you...I've had great difficulty accessing this forum!

It appears I have been caught in a login loop that after receiving 6 digit code I was asked "again" to link my old forum login credentials...but when doing so was told this was already done!

So I was caught in this vicious circle of being shown the same "complete your login" page...in the end I had to create a new forum account login...hence the slight change to user name.

Anyhow, back to DSL drops...no change from Saturday post...still appears to be working fine, I hadn't noticed the re-connect yesterday to be honest but that's not surprising since Router logs say it occurred at 0135 hours.

I've just done another speedtest and its same as Saturday, so remains consistent (70/18).

Not wanting to tempt fate but believe things have settled down now so you can close this out if you agree.

Thanks for all your help,

Si.

0 Likes

Message 9 of 28

Good morning,

Thanks for the update. I've re-checked the connection stats now and I can see that DLM has changed the speed profile on the 5th and also yesterday which has resulted in a re-connection so the drop wasn't due to instability but just DLM adjusting the speeds. How has your connection been over the weekend?

Thanks

Michelle 🙂

0 Likes

Message 10 of 28

Hi Michelle,

Thought I’d just give an update, believe things have now settled down, since we last spoke there’s only been one DSL disconnect, that occurred around 0400hrs on 5th Dec, so been up for 4 days since that occurred…prior to that DSL was up for 10 days.

Not sure why I got than single DSL disconnect, but would be interesting to know (if you have access to that info).

I’ve checked speed this morning (not that I’ve had any issues on that side of things) and it’s now running at 70/17.5…so the download side seems to be slowly creeping up (could that single disconnect be associated with this gradual re-alignment do you think?).

Anyhow, appreciate you will probably not see this until Monday, but wanted to just let you know how things are going (which seems fine to me)…would be nice to know though why we get the odd DSL disconnect…is it part and parcel of how things work?

All the best.

Si.

0 Likes

Message 11 of 28

Afternoon Si,

Thanks for confirming 🙂 If anything does change then please let us know and we can take another look for you.

Have a lovely day 🙂

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 12 of 28

Hi Michelle,

Good afternoon.

All looking good, Router shows DSL has been up for 4 day and 4 hours now…so no interruptions from last we spoke.

Speed is about same as well at 67.4/17.5…it could be creeping up a little or just time of day…still reasonable though and more than good enough for my Qobuz music streaming.

Si.

0 Likes

Message 13 of 28

Happy Wednesday 🙂

I've re-checked the connection stats again now. The stabilisation message is still there but the connection now looks stable for 3 days and the speed also looks consistent. Hopefully DLM will adjust the speed up again in the next few days if the connection continues to remain stable.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 14 of 28

Hi Si,

I understand and I will feed this back. I'll re-check the connection stats on Thursday and will post an update.

Thanks

Michelle

Message 15 of 28

Agree monitoring would be wise if you have status it’s still in the stabilisation phase (just got back in late morning and still ok though)…the only observation I can make at the moment is my top speed has decreased slightly (currently 67/17), nothing to worry about because it’s still sufficient for my needs and comfortably betters your guaranteed minimum anyway.

I assume this has occurred because of all the DSL on and offs that may have made the software re-profile the connection down a little…hopefully that will correct itself in time as things stabilise anyway.

The one point I’d like to make for possible improvement is one of “service information”, and if you agree could be passed up the line…nothing about this issue was mentioned under your Service Status section, either in Internet or Planned Work sections.

A simple automated comment, even if lacking detail (because it was my first port of call), would have been a great help in preventing the sudden rush of activity in reboots, change of cabling/filters and trying back of face plate connections!

Minor point may be but could have alleviated a little frustration.

Si.

0 Likes

Message 16 of 28

Good morning,

I'm very well thank you 🙂 I hope you had a lovely weekend? I've re-checked the connection stats now and there is a note to advise that the connection is still stabilising at the moment. If it's ok with you then we'll continue to monitor this for a few more days just to ensure that the connection does remain stable.

Thanks

Michelle

Message 17 of 28

Good  morning Michelle, trust you are keeping well…and an early start I see.

Things do appear to have settled down, I had about 22 hours of up DSL up time from Friday afternoon until early hours of Saturday…DSL seemed to restart around 0300hrs Saturday morning though for some reason.

I took the opportunity to re-locate Router slightly that morning as well so I interrupted service at about 0900hrs.

But since then DSL has been up for 1 day and 22 hours now….so I’m hoping it’s all stabilised at the Exchange.

Hope this helps and thank you (and Chris) for staying on top of this slight issue).

Si.

0 Likes

Message 18 of 28

Morning,

Thanks for the update 🙂 How has your connection been over the weekend?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

SiHancox
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 19 of 28

Not sure what time you finish Chris but thought I’d give an update, DSL has been up now for over 4 hours so I’m assuming the issue at Exchange has been fixed (fingers still crossed).

Thanks again.

Have a good weekend.

Si.

0 Likes

Message 20 of 28

Yes, sounds promising 🙂