cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

New eero router drops 5ghz devices to 2.4ghz after initial set-up

Iandswift
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 17 of 17

Hi,

3 days ago I upgraded from Fibre 65 to Fibre 150 and received the new eero router.  I set everything up and all was fine, my TV's and PC all connected on 5ghz and I was getting the promised speed of 150mbps but the following day I ran another speed test and it had dropped significantly to 35mbps.  I checked my connection and found my TVs and PC where now on the 2.4ghz band.  I messaged support and eventually they told me to delete my eero network via the eero app which I did.  I ran the set-up again and my TV's and PC all connected to the 5ghz band, brillant I thought, solved.  They all stayed connected for the rest of the day so the following day I checked again and frustratingly they again were back on 2.4ghz.  I have found in this community others experiencing the same issue but can't see it there's a solution.  I did read one thread where the 5ghz band channel range was too high for some devices.  Using WiFi Analyser I can see my 5ghz band is up around channel 155, could this be the issue?

At the moment my main house PC has gone from 75mbps of Fibre 65 service to 35mbps on Fibre 150 so it feels like a downgrade.  Any solutions out there please?

Many thanks,

Ian.

Screenshot_20240423_163048_WiFi Analyzer.png
0 Likes
16 REPLIES 16

Message 1 of 17

Hi Ian,

I've been advised that the fix has now been applied. Would you mind retesting this again please?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 2 of 17

Hi Ian,

My apologies, the Devices Manager advised me in our meeting yesterday that this has been slightly delayed but he is chasing for resolution. The fix is applied by eero, so as soon as they apply the fix then I'll post back here ASAP.

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 3 of 17

Hi Michelle,

Another couple of days have passed and I've still not heard anything and the router is still broadcasting 5GHz up around channel 150. Is there a problem in sending this fix?

Thanks,

Ian.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 17

Hi Ian,

Apologies, I'm not sure why this is taking so long so I've asked the Devices Manager if they can give me an update ASAP.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 5 of 17

Hi Michelle, any update on the fix please? I haven't seen anything today.

Many thanks,

Ian.

0 Likes

Message 6 of 17

No problem and apologies again for the delay.

Michelle 🙂

0 Likes

Message 7 of 17

Many thanks Michelle 👍

0 Likes

Message 8 of 17

Morning Ian,

Apologies for the delay. I chased this yesterday so I'm hoping I should receive an update today.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 9 of 17

Hi Michelle, just wondering if there is any update on when the fix might be sent to my router please?

Many thanks,

Ian.

0 Likes

Message 11 of 17

Fantastic, many thanks Michelle 🙏

Message 12 of 17

Hello,

Thank you. I've passed this over to our Devices Manager now and asked for the fix to be applied. I'll post back to confirm as soon as this has been completed.

Thanks

Michelle

Message 13 of 17

Many thanks Keith. Using WiFi analyser app I've now shown that in initial set-up my eero broadcasts 5ghz on channel 43 but overnight changes to channel 155.  I have run this test a few times now and it always repeats the same pattern.  When broadcasting on channel 43 all my devices can connect to 5ghz but with the change to 155 overnight most of them drop off.  Good news there is a potential fix.

0 Likes

Message 14 of 17

All done Michelle 😊

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 15 of 17

Morning,

Can you please update your community profile to include your:

• Name
  • Account Number
  • Alternative contact number

We'll then look into this further. Please do not post this information on this thread. Once you've updated your profile please post in your topic to confirm it's updated.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 16 of 17

Yes, this is most likely the reason, most WiFi devices do not support such a high channel & they have no option but to use the 2.4GHz band. I have seen a number of Eeros stuck on 155, which there is a fix for. I have asked one of TalkTalk's support to pick your thread up and apply it for you.

They aim to respond within 48 hours (Monday - Friday) excluding Bank Holidays, but if more urgent you can always try the Service Centre on 0345 172 0088. The posts are responded to in time/date order, oldest first.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes