cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV Support

For help with your TalkTalk TV box, channels and apps.

can't get my set top box to switch on /out of maintenance mode

pdbmn1
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 29 of 29

please can someone help ,  i've had 3x 1 hour+ conversations with the call centre and on tuesday the 2nd call ,  they managed to resolve and a factory reset (keep recordings)  was successful and all was well .   but today it's not working again  and after  a very stressful call with the advisor asking me the same things over and over    i'm back to square one . 

i DON'T want to lose my recordings but i can't access them to watch them or transfer them anywhere if there's a way of doing this . 

so i DON'T want a replacement box at this time UNLESS they can help transfer the content . 

does one of you know what i can do please ? 

0 Likes
28 REPLIES 28

Message 21 of 29

hi again sorry for the delay responding ,  i have done a bit of searching round and found someone else had a similar issue last August .  they seemed a bit more knowledgeable than me ,  it seems the software had been deliberately discontinued  and apparently is available with BT  ?       The  person was simply accused of 'spamming' someone else's thread,  and didn't come back  

0 Likes

Message 22 of 29

If the hard drive has failed then the box is dead and can't be brought back to life.

Did you try the lose recordings option?

This is the final option you can try. If that does not work nothing will.

Given that, if you are paying the TV charge per month you can phone as mentioned to negotiate a new TV Hub, the streams only, in which case you will probably need to recontract.

Or if you consider one of the options I mention here

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/TV/ITVX-and-TalkTalk-YouView-boxes/td-p/3010612

you can phone and get the monthly charge removed from your account.

Try phoning 0345 172 0088

Opening Hours can be found here - https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/How-to-contact-TalkTalk-Broadband/ta-p/2230529#

Please remember to mark Solved Posts with Best Answer. Doing so helps other customers and saves TalkTalk's Support Team time by only looking at unsolved topics. Thanks, Steve (a fellow customer).
0 Likes

pdbmn1
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 23 of 29

thanks for this ,   i managed to get the TV back on - from showing 'no signal '  to  'waking up '  which the box was/is constantly doing in the b/g anyway .   but after factory reset the same maintenance mode menu shows with 6 options .   i then try the 'recommended'  software reset option  but again,  this fails .    but it did work the other day ... that's what i don't undestand

0 Likes

fr8ys
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 24 of 29

Sorry I didn't understand that's what you wanted and assumed you knew the procedure.

Here's the link.

(https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/How-to-find-maintenance-mode/ta-p/1429347)?

Please remember to mark Solved Posts with Best Answer. Doing so helps other customers and saves TalkTalk's Support Team time by only looking at unsolved topics. Thanks, Steve (a fellow customer).
0 Likes

pdbmn1
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 25 of 29

as i tried to explain ,  the 2nd time i phoned last Tuesday the advisor suggested something  but i can't remember exactly what it was - but it resulted in me getting to 'factory reset , keep recordings'  and it succeeded  - i got to the stage where i could add my channels back and was up and running again .    so i was pretty gutted when it all failed again 3 days later .      i want to get back to exactly the same stage where i can progress and repeat the process that was successful .      there was an instruction like hold the power button /keep held for 15/ 30 seconds ?   press the +/-  sign repeatedly . something like this ..   but the person i spoke to yesterday didn't seem to understand or suggest this.    

0 Likes

Message 26 of 29

Sorry, but it does seem terminal from what you are saying. Not getting past the waking up screen is a classic symptom of this. 

If the maintenance mode keep recordings is not being the box back to life then the full reset of lise recordings is the only thing left to try.

If this fails, then I'm sorry, but your box is dead and won't recover as the hard drive has failed.

Some people report a second try of the full reset sometimes works.

Hope it works.

0 Likes

pdbmn1
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 27 of 29

hi thanks for your reply .  on the 2nd attempt at contacting tech support everything appeared to succeed,  i was able to add back all the channels and all was well .    so i was pretty upset to see i was back to square one tonight as if nothing had happened the other night .  i keep trying to move my STB on from  the 'waking up ' mode , but i can't get past the 'no signal ' mode on my TV again ,  when i click the 'box' button it should immediately start up .   the batteries are definitely not dead .   some pieces of advice i got included repeatedy pressing the power button multiple times./ holding it down for 15-30 seconds/  pressing the +/- signs together .    none of this is working anymore 

0 Likes

fr8ys
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 28 of 29

It's not possible to transfer recordings.

If the maintenance mode keep recordings does not work then the hard drive is failing.

The keep recordings aims to repair the hard drive whilst preserving the information on it 

As this has failed, the only option is to do a full reset and lose recordings.

This mode formats the hard drive and will repair it if possible. There is no guarantee that it will work as these boxes are now old and past their prime.

As for a new box, TalkTalk no longer provide recordable boxes so if recording is important to you going forward the full maintenance mode is the way forward 

If you wish a new, none recording box you will need to phone customer services to negotiate one and probably need to recontract.

I have offered alternatives you may wish to consider in the ITVX thread at the top of the TV forum.

Let us know how you get on 

0 Likes