cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Improving WiFi by adding Linksys WRT32X

Pscottorn
Chatterbox
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 10 of 10

Hello

i hope that someone can assist me with using a Linksys WRT32X router to strengthen the wifi signal in my home. I intend to connect the Linksys via an Ethernet cable to the Talk Talk modem/router provided. The talk Talk modem is a Huwaei DG8041W-2.T5. It should be noted that I have access to an iPhone, iPad and laptop without an Ethernet port…

@KeithFrench any suggestions please?

Thanks to all in advance for their support.

Pierre 

0 Likes
9 REPLIES 9

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 10

You can set the Huawei up as a router & the Linksys as another router, so long as both are on different subnets. This will introduce a double NAT environment, but that should be easy to get around, depending on the Linksys options. Then connect a LAN port on the Huawei to the WAN or Internet Ethernet port on your Linksys.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 2 of 10

Sadly I have failed miserably with this despite several hours of trying on separate occasions both using a phone and a Mac. I am unable to find anyway to put the Linksys into bridge mode and it doesn’t seem to recognise any input from the Huwaei modem/router.

i will just leave for now.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 10

Not having a Linksys I can only give very generic settings. I'd be very surprised if some Linksys products only allowed 2.4 or 5 & not both. Linksys is owned by Cisco Systems who make market-leading routers & other networking equipment for the commercial sector & I used to work on these a lot. Cisco allows everything under the sun to be configured.

I think the 2.4 or 5GHz only option refers to Bridge Mode, not general WiFi performance. 

This might help:-

https://smallbusiness.chron.com/convert-linksys-router-ethernet-bridge-57403.html 

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 10

A further related question arising from searching re bridge mode settings. It appears that some Linksys products when in bridge mode can only use either the 2.4Ghz or 5 GHz not both. I am unclear if this applies to the WRT32X and the implications to me, noting that I have some wifi connected devices that only operate via 2.4Ghz

0 Likes

Message 5 of 10

Hi Keith. I am struggling somewhat in the many settings for the Linksys. I have assigned it 192.68.1.2 as suggested and disabled the DHCP server. However, I can’t find how to put it into Bridge mode.

Within the Advanced Routing settings as shown in the attached screenshot and then there are alternative settings within the Wireless settings as shown in the second screenshot. It is entirely possible I should be looking somewhere entirely different in the may pages of settings…

any further help much appreciated.

Merry Christmas 

Pierre

IMG_8634.pngIMG_8635.png
0 Likes

Message 6 of 10

Thank you Keith. I will have a go in the next few days and keep my fingers crossed that I don’t screw things up

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 10

Just looking your Linksys WRT32X up on line, the Internet socket is the WAN socket.

The simplest setup is to connect them up LAN to LAN, this method disables all routing functions in the Linksys, leaving it as an AP (Access Point).

To use the full routing facilities of the Linksys would utilise the LAN to WAN connection, but this will introduce a Double NAT environment. This is only an issue when using Port Forwarding, but even then, Linksys allowing, this is not that difficult to configure.

Here's what you need to do for the first method:-

1. Do not connect the two routers together at first.
  2. Leave the Huawei at its default configuration, except to disable the WiFi.
  3. Change the Huawei's DHCP IP address range to start at say 192.168.1.11.
  4. On the Linksys, set the router's IP address to perhaps 192.168.1.2.
  5. Configure the Linksys to be in bridge mode.
  6. On the Linksys, disable the DHCP server.
  7. Set the SSID & wireless password on the Linksys as required, set its 2.4GHz channel bandwidth to 20 MHz only and set the required wireless channels with the help of a WiFi analyser. In the 2.4 GHz band, you can only use channels 1, 6 or 11.

Now connect them both together (Ethernet 1 to Ethernet 1) should do.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 8 of 10

Thanks for the incredibly speedy response Keith. I’m not sure that I am sufficiently qualified to respond well. My intention was to end up with a situation where the Talk Talk Huwaei had its wifi turned off and the Linksys acted as the wifi distribution point and wired (although generally there are no wired connections and very  occasionally one). Basically the home network running from the Linksys with the Talk Talk acting as a modem.

the back of the Linksys is shown in the photo. I am open to any advice and not set on any particular way of doing things. I hope my intended outcome is clear. How to achieve it is where I need the support please.

best wishes

Pierre

IMG_8627.jpeg

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 10

Hi @Pscottorn 

Thanks for creating your own thread.

I need to know if you want your Linksys in bridge mode & connect the LAN ports of both routers together, or if you want to connect a LAN port on the Huawei and connect it to an Ethernet WAN port (if it has one) on the Linksys?

Keith

0 Likes