cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Why a FAST broadband is not available in my building?

DanielaD
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 8

How is it possible that in 2024 with many people working from home, if not every day at least a few days a week, a building like mine doesn't have the ability to have more than an average of 11 Mb Download and 1 Mb Avg in Upload?
I don't expect fiber speed but at least broadband that can actually be fast and not just in name. Is there anything TalkTalk as a provider can do?

0 Likes
7 REPLIES 7

Message 1 of 8

Well, if you have a decent 5G signal then that is definitely an option worth considering. 

0 Likes

Message 2 of 8

@ferguson yes, there is. It says: Networks in your area - OpenreachVirgin Media

But when I check availability. Virgin says: "it looks like we're currently unavailable at apartment..." And Open reach has available just one service not very different from what I have with TalkTalk.

At this point probably I could try at 5G Home Broadband...or a change of address 😄

0 Likes

Message 3 of 8

@DanielaD 

There should be a further link towards the bottom of the checker which shows which networks operate there?

0 Likes

Message 4 of 8

Well, the current plan with TalkTalk is okay if I am not working from home.  But because I am working with graphic application  and 4K resolution is "painful" especially during the exchange of file or sharing.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 8

Thank you very much for the link!

If I look a the results, in my area should be available an Ultrafast service.

1000Mbps Download. 100Mbps Upload.

But it doesn't seems TalkTalk is able to offer that.

Neither any other providers....so I am not sure to understand where is the problem. 😕

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 8

@DanielaD, you are not alone. I am in Cambridge, "Silicon Fen", and I can't get more than Fast Broadband on my line from the local exchange. No allocation for even FTTC, despite it being available with BT.

So, there's limited capacity. No deals with Full Fibre in my area unless I jump to Vodafone (or try Virgin).

The infrastructure is extremely complicated across the industry, not just underground, but in deals done between companies. 

I find my Fast Broadband is adequate most of the time though - it depends on your work situation, whether to stick with Talktalk, or switch if there's a more suitable package available with another company. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 8

It depends on which network suppliers may or may not provide in your area. My son lives in a modern apartment conversion in central Liverpool and the last he heard was that Openreach plan to have full fibre services by 2026, whoopee!

All you can do is keep checking on when it may become available and from whom:

https://checker.ofcom.org.uk/