cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Wi-Fi Access Point

HAM-2022
First Timer
Private Message
Message 4 of 4

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a wifi access point to purchase online that work with the newest TalkTalk sagemcom router or will any access point be compatible. I have a building external to my main house which I have installed a new Cat5e ethernet cable to, and I want to connect this to a new wi-fi access point. Would it also be possible to set-up a guest password so friends/family can use the wi-fi without revealing my main TalkTalk router password. I don't want to go down the route of powerline adaptors or anything like that.

Thanks in advance....

0 Likes
3 REPLIES 3

martswain
Philosopher
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 4

@HAM-2022  if you just want the access point to have different SSIDs and passwords to your main HUB that is not an issue at all.

You can set the WiFi channels, SSID names and passwords to be completely different to the main HUB.

It is not setup as a repeater in this case, so it does not clone any settings from the HUB.

As for choice of device, ensure it has gigabit LAN ports.

Will the users of the access point be streaming content or just general browsing and social media etc ?

I am no expert on this subject, but you need to take account of the area you wish to cover as well.

At my other home in Thailand we just use cheap routers with their own power supplies that can be set to AP mode connected by ethernet, that would work fine if you have power in the outbuilding.

Some of the top end dedicated APs need Power over Ethernet which is another consideration.

As you can see, quite a lot to think about.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 4

Thanks @martswain . I have the latest sagemcom FAST 5364-3 TB (Gfast) router. I would like guests to be able to connect using a guest password to the new wi-fi access point that I will purchase online. Can you recommend anything out there?

Cheers,

0 Likes

martswain
Philosopher
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 4

Any access point will work when connected by ethernet to your main router.

As for guest networks do you want this facility on your TT device or the access point ?

EXACTLY what TT router/hub do you have ?

0 Likes