cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Errors downloading email with homecall account with MS Outlook but webmail ok.

46 REPLIES 46
Highlighted
Wizz Kid

The problem  has been around for months but initially was only occasional but now is nearly all the time. MS Outlook 2016 fails to connect to my two homecall.co.uk email accounts but my two talktalk.net accounts hardly ever have a problem. There is a variety of error messages from timing out, other program accessing my account, connection reset  or even asking for my password.

I suspected my internet security software so temporarily disbabled the email functions in it but made no difference.

My system is a PC connected by ethernet to my router. My ipad never has a problem connection to icloud email via wifi to the same router. My wife has a laptop and a homecall.co.uk email address but uses Mozilla Thunderbird and not seen erros on her system although it is used far less.

Some people call me Victor Meldrew. I don't believe it!
Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi KannyKen, have you tried removing and readding the mailbox from your client?  You can check your mail settings in theemail setting help article.

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Thank you for the advice. I am reluctant to remove the account from outlook and recreate it as having tried that in the past I get problems with email folders and get duplicates which makes searching and backup complicated. There is a function to repair an account but that failed at the first step as it could not access the mail server. I tried the "change" option without actually changing the data and it seemed to help with one mail account and not the other. Finally, I used the MS Office online repair option which re-installs the whole of Office 365. I have tried that in the past to no avail but so far today, over the past hour or so mail has arrived without any errors.

If it stays good my my next moan will be about connection speed getting lower and lower but thats in another froum!

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

I spoker too soon. Both accounts just failed. One says

Task ************@homecall.co.uk - Receiving' reported error (0x800CCC1A) : 'Your server does not support the connection encryption type you have specified. Try changing the encryption method. Contact your mail server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP) for additional assistance.'

(I do not have encryption set to on)

The other says

Task **********@homecall.co.uk - Receiving' reported error (0x800CCC0F) : 'The connection to the server was interrupted. If this problem continues, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'

Highlighted

Hi KannyKen,

How has the account been since your last post, is the issue intermittent?

Chris

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

I seem to get the dowload error more times than not. Even had it once with a talktalk.net account. Never a problem sending although I do not send as many emails as I receive. I looed at some of the information you directed me to but to be honest am a bit confused by it all and need to find time to work it out.

Highlighted

Hi KannyKen,

Which version of Windows is your Laptop running? Is your wifes laptop running the same version?

Chris

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

My PC is not a laptop, it is a full size case pc running windows 10 and connected via ethernet. My wife's laptop also has Windows 1o and connects via wifi.

Highlighted

OK. thanks. Do you have any problems in generaly with the internet connection on your desktop PC?

Chris

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

The situation may be better but not perfect. I managed to wade through the various sections of forum advice you recommend and reduce it to basic points. It seems that the combination of a homecall.co.uk address (from wayback when I joined Pipex who then became part of Tiscali and eventually subsumed into TalkTalk) with MS Office 365 Outlook as a mail client means settings are quite different to what seems to be "default".

Incoming server (POP3) was set to port 995 and now changed to 110

Outgoing server (SMTP) was set to port 587 and now changed to 25

Type of encryption was set to SSL/TS and now changed to Auto

Outgoing server authentication was set to On and now changed to Off

Since then there has only been one error which was both my homecall accounts reporting a time out because no acknowledgemt from the sending server so could have been a genuine issue at the TalkTalk server. My mail has otherwise arrived much better than before.

How the accounts were set as they were I do noe know as they worked well in the past. Windows 1o and Office 365 are both paranoid about keeping up to date and sometimes make changes that are counter productive and have to be reversed.

As regards my internet connection it is far from perfect but I am assured it is within specification. Download spped used to be around 33mbs and dropped about 5 mbs to 28mbs last year. It was investigated and BT Openreach identified an anomaly  a few metres from my house. They tried the other pair of wires that come to the house but that was worse so they left it as they found it, because tests of the line showed it was still within specification.

Over the past few months speed has started dropping again and is now around 24 mbs

It resets itself every few days.

We did suffer intermiitent power cuts last winter and again more seriously last month..

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Yesterday was a false dawn. Today there are many failure messages about the server timing out or not responding. If the Outlook error messages are to be believed it is saying the error is at the Talktalk end and I am advised to report it to my isp.

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

And to add insult to injury I thought of of checking TalkTalk service status and editing my email accounts through "My Account" but all I see is a TalkTalk service message saying the service is down. Anyone know a reliable internet company? Just askin...

Highlighted

Hi KannyKen,

Your connection looks stable but your sync speed is outside the predicted range. Can you try switching your router off for at least 30 minutes then switch back on and retest - please let us know how you get on

Chris

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Router off for 40 minutes from 8:50 this morning and these are my measurements

Router reported link rate 5925 / 27358 kbps before switch off

Router reported link rate 5925 / 27160 kbps after switch off

Speedtest measurements before switch off. Ping 25ms, download 24.00Mbps , upload 5.60 Mbps

Speedtest measurements after switch off. Ping 24ms, download 25.64 Mbps , upload 5.60 mbps

Highlighted

OK, thanks 

How many telephone sockets do you have? What other devices do you have connected in addition to your router?

Does your master socket have a Test Socket?

Are you experiencing any problems with your telephone service such as noise on the line?

Thanks
Chris

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

I have a BT Openreach Mk 2 main socket which has no master socket as such. The super router connects directly to this socket and the phone socket has a cordless set attacted. The other side of the single skin wall is a double phone socket feeding a conventional wall phone. Although the Mk2 socket is prefiltered I added a microfilter to the wall phone because its cable is just too short to lay neatly. The telephone line in (1974 vintage rises) in this wall so there is not other wiring to the sockets.

There is an occasional quirk with the phone line but never any noise. The wall phone is maybe 18 months old but sometimes after reseating the hand set on its cradle it seems it does not clear the line and people say they cannot contact me because the line is busy. If I pick up a cordless phone there is no dial tone but usually I can clear it by firmly reseating the wall phone handset but sometimes needs more than one attempt. This quirk was reported aa part of the original problem prior to the visit by the BT Openreach engineer. It is only the past week it has become apparent again

Highlighted

Hi KannyKen,

I'm really sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Have you also tested with an alternative router? If not then let us know and we can arrange to send a replacement router for testing purposes to rule this out.

Thanks

Wizz Kid

Hi Michelle,

This is quite a new router as it was sent to me when I had problems around the middle of last year. The older one I returned to TalkTalk as instructed so I only have one superrouter.

Highlighted

Hi KannyKen,

Would you like to test another router just to fully rule this out? If you would then just let me know and I can arrange to send you one.

Thanks

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Hi Michelle,

Yes please I would like to try a a new router.

Thank you.