would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Problem with Pipex POP server ?

371 REPLIES
Highlighted
Skynet_TX
Wizz Kid

For several weeks now I've been having trouble picking up my Pipex email via POP, it feels like exactly the same issue as we had for a while last year (discussed here https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Email-Webmail/Problem-with-Pipex-POP-server/td-p/2029161).

Attempting to pick up email just sits there for ages (trying to 'connect', or trying to 'secure') and usually then just times out or gets disconnected. If you retry enough times then eventually it will work. But as it has now been going on for weeks I thought I'd post just to see if anyone else was having issues and to see if anyone at Talk Talk was aware of the problem.

Would it be possible for someone to check with the Email Admins to see if they are aware of any performance issues with the POP server for Pipex accounts ?

I'm seeing the same issue for multiple email accounts and from multiple machines (using Windows Live Mail on Win 7 & Win 10).

Thanks

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @Skynet_TX

I've drawn this topic to the attention of the TalkTalk Community support team of OCE's and they'll respond to you right here to help you.

Which pipex domain are you using? @dial.pipex.com or @dsl.pipex.com

Incoming port: 995

Outgoing port: 587

Secure connection and outgoing authentication?

Add the full email address to your Community Profile, Personal Information (Click here) in the Private Notes area at the bottom of the page and save changes.

Gondola - Community support team *

To appreciate my support  . . .  If I helped with a solution Best Answer

Skynet_TX
Wizz Kid
Thanks, they are dsl.pipex.com addresses, and the settings are as you specified in your post
Gondola
Community Star

... I expect OCE_Ady will pick this up tomorrow for you and check with the email admin crew.

Community Team

Hi Skynet_TX, I'm sure you've got the right settings for it to be working at all but could you just check your settings against those in the Pipex settings article? I take it webmail is working fine is it? If they match then I'll have to raise a fault ticket for you.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

OCE's Hours of Operation - Mon to Fri 8am to 4pm. Urgent issues outside these times, please use Live Chat

Skynet_TX
Wizz Kid
Hi, yep my settings match that article, and I haven't modified the settings in any way for ages. Once the problem last year (discussed in the article linked from my initial post) was resolved everything has worked fine for months, but then around Christmas it has started to have these problems again, so I'm quite sure my settings are correct. I very rarely use webmail, but on every occasion I've tried it has worked fine.

Thanks
Skynet_TX
Wizz Kid
Actually, just remembered, based on the issue discussed in https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Email-Webmail/Problem-accessing-Pipex-Email-using-SSL-from-Windo... I'm pretty sure I currently have my POP server set to pop3.tiscali-business.co.uk (I'm at work at the moment so can't check my home machine setup), this was necessary due to certificate errors on your servers a year or so ago, but I don't believe this should be an issue as pop.dsl.pipex.com just seems to be an alias for the pop3.tiscali-business.co.uk server.
Gondola
Community Star

Hi @Skynet_TX

I've just checked the servers. dsl.pipex.com is working fine. If you haven't got that set up as per the dsl.pipex.com Help page settings then that's the problem solved.

The tiscali.business.co.uk server is not responding to SMTP within the accepted timeout criteria.

dsl.pipex.com
mail.uk.tiscali.com
212.139.137.161 / 162

tiscali-business.co.uk
b2b.tiscali.co.uk
212.139.137.136 / 137 / 138 / 139

Skynet_TX
Wizz Kid

I'm not sure that will be the solution, if you

ping pop.dsl.pipex.com

you get a response from pop3.tiscali-business.co.uk

so having my email client set up to talk to either of them should make no difference, as even if I changed it back to pop.dsl.pipex.com it would still be ultimately hitting pop3.tiscali-business.co.uk

I only have POP set up to go to the tiscali address (as recommended by the email admins in that post in my link above), my SMTP setting is set to the normal pipex one

Skynet_TX
Wizz Kid
Hi,

Just to confirm, I've tried changing my POP server back to pop.dsl.pipex.com this evening and it has made no difference, the ability to connect is still just as unreliable, it managed to connect once out of six attempts.

So please could you ask the email admins if they could take a look and see if they can see any reason why POP connectivity to pop.dsl.pipex.com / pop3.tiscali-business.co.uk (which I believe are the same thing) is having these issues for me.

To clarify, I don't have any issues sending email, my SMTP server is set to smtp.dsl.pipex.com and that has always worked fine.

Thanks
Community Team

Please add the affected email address/es to private notes in your profile and I'll get the fault ticket raised.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

OCE's Hours of Operation - Mon to Fri 8am to 4pm. Urgent issues outside these times, please use Live Chat

Mikeywhite
First Timer

Same here , have 5 addresses , all having trouble connecting , last couple of weeks were ok(ish) , then the usual connection problems starting around 3pm , now it's all the time , has been like this on and off now for months & months , I am changing to another provider , can't rely on this service anymore.

stevesurrey
Wizz Kid

For the last few weeks I too have noticed that the Pipex mail servers have been much more unresponsive than is normal. Much like the problem we experienced last year. Some times they work fine and other times they just hang or time out as they are unresponsive. My settings have not been changed either.

Skynet_TX
Wizz Kid
Thanks for replying, I was starting to think it was just picking on me this time !. Have just connected this evening, took me 3 attempts to pick up my email.

OCE_Ady has asked me to provide my email account details so that they can investigate further, but I'm a bit reluctant to do this, I'm 99% sure there is nothing wrong with my accounts, and I don't really want to tempt the admins into fiddling around with my mailbox settings to try to fix something that I'm fairly sure is a POP server issue.

Have kind of been ignoring the problem for the last few weeks in the hope that it would get fixed, but appears we are not going to be that lucky.

Hopefully a few more people might post if they have the same issues, that might then mean it can get escalated to the email admins as a more general issue.
Community Team

You're free to withold your information.  I would just add that I can't raise a fault ticket for you without those details. At present I have just the 2 of you mentioning intermittent login issues. The Admins will need to check your account logs to identify if there's a wider problem or it's just the 2 accounts having a problem.

Skynet_TX
Wizz Kid
I do totally understand that unless more people report problems then you can't escalate the issue.

I'm just really (over) cautious about this sort of thing because twice in the past (and this was not with Talk Talk, it was a different company) I've ended up having far more serious problems caused by support teams troubleshooting issues and I'd have been better off never reporting the problem in the first place !.

I'll see how things behave with my email over the coming days, and also see if anyone else sees this post and also reports that they are seeing the same issues.

If I'm feeling brave I'll add the details to my profile and bump this post to let you know.

Thanks for your help so far.
stevesurrey
Wizz Kid

As is often the case, today the problem I'd noticed for the past 2 weeks seems to mostly have gone away and the Pipex mail server seems to be responding with minimal hiccups. If I notice it get worse again I will report back here.

Skynet_TX
Wizz Kid
Thanks. That is good to hear, I tend to only be on my home machine in peak evening time, and it is often very bad for me, another member of the family who often checks email during the day has not been seeing nearly as many problems as me (although does still see the same problem sometimes). So it does feel like it may be related to server load at peak times. I'll give it a go this evening...
Community Team

Please let me know if you suffer the same issues again.

nw1806
Conversation Starter

As others have said. it's the same old story yet again, slow logins, failed logins, password boxes, steadily getting worse.

On past experience this means a complete failure is imminent.

Do the techs actually know what this is or does it just eventually fix itself and all the trouble tickets get binned until next time?