would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

emails from earthlink.net that are not phishing, fake, just normail emails

ANSWERED
18 REPLIES 18
GillCF
Team Player

my friend has always had the same email address as have I. She lives in LA, I live in Swansea. Nothing wrong until last year 2018, when her emails started going into the trash box, without me doing anything to suggest that should be done. I had to go in and put them back into the Inbox so they could be downloaded to Outlook on my PC. Now in 2019 that has got even more of a problem. Now she sends emails I never ever see. They no longer appear anywhere on the TalkTalk mail pages, let alone my inbox. Why? Her server is earthlink.net. There are at least 10 emails that were sent by her, some in reply to mine, that have not made it into my inbox. She has never been set as junk by me or blocked by me; they have gone out of her outbox and into her sent file, so where are they? How can I get them to come through now? She can send them again, but what is the point if they won't get through? Driving me bonkers!

Gill F
Gondola
Community Star

Hi @GillCF 

Is your friend in LA using Earthlink webmail? Are you using the new TalkTalk Mail webmail?

What's your email domain - the bit after the @ in your email address?

Please check / update your Community Profile Personal Information (Click here) to include your name, current address and contact 'phone numbers and then scroll down and add your email address and your friend's email address (carefully noted that it's your friend's address) to Private notes and then Save changes.

Gondola - Community contributor

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

I8this
Enlightened One

@GillCF  @Gondola 

earthlink.net could well be on a TalkTalk spam email block now, I for one have reported lots of phishing emails to TalkTalk were the email involved an @earthlink.net email address.

If case you have forgotten the Do’s and Don’ts. There are members that have. Remember:-Be yourself and tell it like it is,. Be courteous to other customers. Give others the benefit of the doubt. Update your community profile.
Gondola
Community Star
Solution

Hi @I8this 

The network block filters are responsive to multiple users marking up emails as spam and the reputation of earthlink.net can drop as a result.

I had checked the usual blacklisting agencies and currently the only one I've seen listing earthink.net for spam is an agency that deals with spam in the Finnish language.  If the reputation was very low I'd expect to see more agencies listing.

GillCF
Team Player
But this one comes from the USA and never used to be blocked, or spam for that matter. Why can I not block or unblock myself? I tried to stop her emails being sent into the spam box but couldn't, so had to move them back into the inbox. I need an answer to solve how I can receive the emails from my friend the way I always have. How do I do that TalkTalk? Can someone tell me how?
Gill F
I8this
Enlightened One

@GillCF 

Have you looked at your spam filters to see if there is a filter in it that might be blocking earthlink addresses.

If case you have forgotten the Do’s and Don’ts. There are members that have. Remember:-Be yourself and tell it like it is,. Be courteous to other customers. Give others the benefit of the doubt. Update your community profile.
GillCF
Team Player

sorry for not updating as you suggested. I have done that now, so you can see the email address I am having problems with. Hope you can solve that problem!

Gill F
GillCF
Team Player

Is it possible to change those network block filters? not sure how to do that on my PC, if that is where the problem is. My router? My security software? or a Talktalk problem that I cannot solve myself? Need the guidance, but welcome the answer all the same!

Gill F
Gondola
Community Star

Hi @GillCF 

Thanks for updating your Community Private notes.  The TalkTalk team will pick that up on Monday and reply here.

In the meantime, you said early on that you had to move, presumably in Webmail, emails out of Trash to the Inbox to be able to download to Outlook. I assume that means you were also downloading using POP3 settings in Outlook.  Is that still the case and do you have several devices downloading emails?

The automatic move of incoming emails from Inbox to Trash tells me is that you may have inadvertently marked an email from your friend as Spam.  In the old version of webmail marking as spam would move emails to Trash and set up the Blocked Sender's Filter to carry on doing just that.

So, to follow on from the advice about checking for spam filtering I'd just like you to sign in to TalkTalk Mail

• Select the Menu option      top right
    (triple line hamburger icon)
  • Select Settings from the list
  • Select Mail (or Email, left side panel)
  • Select Filter Rules
  • If no previous rules exist then that's ok
  • But if the Blocked Sender's Filter rule or other rule is there
    Please select Disable against all rules
  • Let us know what Filter rules are there if any

GillCF
Team Player
I have done as you advised on Select Filter Rules. I disabled the rules. I then found my friend's email address in the blocked senders filter. I have deleted her email address from there (a long list as I get a lot of junk). Hope that will solve the problem ...
Gill F
Gondola
Community Star

...that should do nicely. 

Let us know that messages from The Angels are coming through ok. 

GillCF
Team Player
Will do. Thanks for your help
Gill F
GillCF
Team Player
No they are not unfortunately. Tried all sorts of things, but no emails, so forced to look at messaging on Facebook to find out. Now what do we do next? If she gets an error message, could she send that message through to you somehow? This has really only become a problem since you updated the email system, so I know it is not me or my friend, but a technical problem ..
Gill F
Community Team

Hi GillCF, before I can raise ticket for this I have to ask you to disable all mail filters and forwards. If I don't the ticket will bounce straight back to me to ask you to do it. So let me know once you've turned it them off and if you still can't receive the mail. 

GillCF
Team Player
I thought I had done that already when one of your colleagues responded. I have dozen of real junk emails in one, do you mean delete all of those and the request to put them into trash? I removed the email address I have problems with from the junk list ... so to sum up not sure what you need me to do exactly ...
Gill F
Gondola
Community Star

Hi @GillCF 

Ady is not asking you to delete the Filter rules at this stage just disable them. They'll still be there but inactive whilst this issue is being investigated.

I'd just like you to sign in to TalkTalk Mail

• Select the Menu option      top right
    (triple line hamburger icon)
  • Select Settings from the list
  • Select Mail (or Email, left side panel)
  • Select Filter Rules
  • Select Disable against all Filter rules including Auto forward

Then confirm that you've done that so Ady can positively confirm to the email admins that there are no Filter rules operating on your mailbox. When the admins have done their tests then Ady will let you know the outcome.

Community Team

Hi GillCF, apologies for not being clear. Gondola thanks for the clarification.

GillCF
Team Player
I have done that. But the emails still do not get through. If she was ever blocked it was not intently done by me. Her email address was in the junk list, but was deleted. All rules then 'switched off' or deleted. She has an earthlink email address, and as I said countless times before, there was never a problem before TalkTalk updated the email system. Since then her emails never make it into my inbox. Nor do they appear in junk or trash either. They leave her outbox. go into her sent box, but never get to me. From that point of view, given they used to make it to me, this is a TalkTalk problem, not mine as you are suggesting. I want it sorted. Stop blaming your customers, please.
Gill F
Gondola
Community Star

Moderator Note: This thread is now closed (29 Aug 2019) as the creator chose to create a new thread on the same topic.