cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

New server settings do not work for my lineone email account

RossStarkey
First Timer
Private Message
Private Message

Message 9 of 9

I have tried the new server settings provided by TalkTalk in Thunderbird but they do not work:

Incoming Server

Protocol - IMAP

Hostname - mail.talktalk.net

Port - 993

Connection Security - SSL/TLS

Authentication Method - Normal Password

Username - ******@lineone.net

Outgoing Server

Hostname - smtp.talktalk.net

Port - 587

Connection Security - STARTTLS

Authentication Method - Normal Password

Username - *****@lineone.net

I tried them in Mailbird but they did not work with that either.

I thought my password may be the fault so I upgraded it as per the required format but this has not helped.

The messages I get from Thunderbird in the order I get them are: 1) "The following settings were found by probing the given server" (with a tick in a green box); 2) "Checking password.." (with a tick in a green box); 3) "Unable to log in at server. Probably wrong configuration, username or password" (in a yellow box with a "!" in a triangle).

My username and password are not wrong because they work with webmail.

Can you please help me to sort this issue out.

Thank you

Ross Starkey

0 Likes
8 REPLIES 8

Message 1 of 9

Thanks Ross, good to know you're back in control.

We do appreciate your time in letting us know. Thank you.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

RossStarkey
First Timer
Private Message
Message 2 of 9

Hello Gondola

I had changed Thunderbird to mail.talktalk.net 993 SSL/TLS following Ady's reply and receiving emails works fine. But thank you for your input: much appreciated.

Best regards

Ross 

Message 3 of 9

Hi RossStarkey 

If you just change the Thunderbird Connection Security for the IMAP mail server to SSL/TLS the port will automatically set to 993. Now that full access is restored that setting should authenticate without a problem.  You may leave the incoming server host name as imap.talktalk.net as that's a valid alternate name on the server certificate.

The TalkTalk Mail server does support the STARTTLS command on port 143 but it's best to use implicit TLS 1.2 connection security via SSL/TLS rather than negotiating from the insecure connection on port 143 to use the TLS 1.2 protocol. If that negotiation fails then the connection reverts to insecure plain text. If TalkTalk are detecting connections via port 143 then use of that port would put your email address on the block list again.

If your device does not work using the secure port 993 then I would suspect you have Internet Security software blocking secure ports. The Russian owned Kaspersky products were known to block secure ports and required exceptions to be added to allow users to use secure mail.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

Message 4 of 9

Hi Ross, only the settings provided by TalkTalk are secure and will work. If you use port 143 your mail will be limited again.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 9

Hello Ady

I was able to access my email account again yesterday. Many thanks for your help.

I tried using the Incoming Server settings given by TalkTalk but they did not work in Thunderbird. However, the settings Thunderbird found probing the server did work. These settings are: Hostname = imap.talktalk.net; Port = 143; Connection Security = STARTTLS. Will there be a problem if I continue to use these settings?

Best regards

Ross

0 Likes

Message 6 of 9

Hi Ross, it should be done tomorrow at the latest. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

RossStarkey
First Timer
Private Message
Message 7 of 9

Thank you Ady

When do you think my mailbox will be restored and what will I need to do when it is restored?

Best regards

Ross

0 Likes

Ady-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 8 of 9

Hi RossStarkey, I've added your mailbox to the list of those to be restored.

Ady

0 Likes