cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

imap problems on android

nickspratt1
First Timer

I have a fix for this issue which has worked for me with the MS Outlook Android app connecting over IMAP to my talktalk mail accounts ( of which I have three)

The problem is that, because of the TalkTalk security issues, you eed to specify the port for incoming server and outgoing server and the Outlook App has no field into which you enter this information.

However, there is a syntax which allows you to append the port details to the end of the server line - you just need a colon between sever details and port number.

Currently TalkTalk needs: port 143 for the incoming sever and 587 for the outgoing

So for incoming server you type:  imap.talktalk.net:147

For outgoing server you type: smtp.talktalk.net:587

When you press "connect" Outlook will pop a warning to say that this is a non-standard port (content of the message seems to vary) and ask if you wish to connect anyway.

Say yes and it should all work.  No idea why this is such a hard thing to find - took me flaming ages!

Good Luck.

MW1961
First Timer

Had major issues setting up Outlook under Android v6. Microsoft eventually provided the solution:

Address for imap server should be: imap.tiscali.co.uk:143 (note colon and addition of port number)

Address for smtp server should be: smtp.tiscali.co.uk:587(note colon and addition of port number)

Hope that may be useful !

ArtyH
Popular Poster

2018 and still having same problem Talk Talk e-mail is a joke

OCE_Ady
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi ArtyH, please start your own thread. This one is 2 years old and won't be picked up by our workflow tool. Include as much information as you can to help us help you. 

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

OCE_Ady

Hi ArtyH, please start your own thread. This one is 2 years old and won't be picked up by our workflow tool. Include as much information as you can to help us help you. 

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

OCE_Ady