cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Eero router printer

maltster
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 4 of 4

My old printer (Samsung W2070W) will not connect to eero as it uses WPS encryption.

I am looking to buy a Canon PIXMA TS7450I but it does not seem to support WPA2 AES encryption (as reuired by eero). This printer supports WPA-PSK, WPA2-PSK and WEP encryption according to the manufactures specification.

Does anyone know if any of these will be accepted by eero and allow me to connect wirelessly to my network.

Eero certainly do not make it easy to source acceptable printer models.

Any feedback appreciated.

Drew
0 Likes
3 REPLIES 3

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 4

There are several different things here:-

1. WPS (Wireless Protected Setup) is a simple way of connecting a device to a router. You do not have to select your wireless network name or pssword. It is only used to connect a printer or other device the very first time. After that the device stores the network name & password, to allow it to connect subsequently. Strictly speaking, it has nothing to do with terms like WPA2 etc.
  2. The WiFi security mode is normally either WPA2 Personel or possibly WPA3.
  3. AES is the encryption type used by the connection between device & router.

On the other hand, for WPS to work, the device & router must both support a minimum of WPA2 Personal.

Now to the Eero, the first problem is that it does not support WPS at all (unlike other TalkTalk routers):-

https://support.eero.com/hc/en-us/articles/208114916-How-do-I-connect-my-printer-to-my-eero-network-... 

However, that does not mean that you cannot connect a printer to it, but it is more difficult. You must ensure that the printer that you want to use supports connection to the router by first selecting your wireless network name (SSID) & then allows the password to be entered. It might have an on screen keyboard for this, or some other method.

It is true that WPS can be insecure, which is why on all other TalkTalk routers it can be disabled after initially connecting your devices.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

maltster
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 2 of 4

Yes and have tried but no joy.

Drew
0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 3 of 4

Hi maltster,

Can I just confirm, have you had a look at the below Help Guide?

Problems connecting a device to eero - TalkTalk Help & Support

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes