cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile support

For any questions about your TalkTalk mobile service.

Unrecognised International Text Calls

Gondola
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 5

Anyone had an issue with unexpected charges for International Text Calls to a London landline number beginning 0203 322 **** that's in a range allocated to (aq) Limited trading as aql that is a Telecoms company operating from Leeds.

This number isn't in our calling list and we've never texted any landline numbers so I'm trying to diagnose if this is a TakTalk Mobile / Vodafone billing glitch or a fraud. When called from another 'phone there's an immediate disconnect. So the number does not appear to be active for voice calls. Waiting on information from AQL.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

0 Likes
4 REPLIES 4

Message 1 of 5

Hi @Gondola I had a bad feeling about this one and sadly the response from AQL is exactly what I expected. I'll say no more.... 🙈🙊🙉

I don't work here and all my opinions are my own.

Message 2 of 5

Had a response from AQL. They say that the number 0203 322 1414 is allocated to one of their reseller partners but will discuss it no further and for me to reach out to TalkTalk Mobile. TalkTalk Mobile have already said that they just go on the billing call data from Vodafone.

At some point Action Fraud UK, Ofcom and Vodafone are going to have to get their act together because as a customer getting fraudulent charges on a bill I'm not getting the help I hope for from my mobile service provider TalkTalk Mobile or the carrier Vodafone or AQL the Telecoms owner allocated the number by Ofcom. 

I'll have another talk to TalkTalk Mobile today and report the result here.

Added:

Spoke to TalkTalk Mobile. Agent Zoe. Repetitively advised that TalkTalk Mobile "'we' have no control over the calls / texts as 'we' only provide 'you' with a service and a SIM card." When I asked if TalkTalk Mobile were going to be able to find out from Vodafone why the billing is being charged she didn't know why I was asking about Vodafone. i.e. not even been told that TalkTalk Mobile are a virtual operator on the Vodafone Network and that Vodafone provide the call data to TalkTalk.

I've asked that International Text Messages are blocked. And Zoe confirms that's been actioned so we'll see if that has the desired effect of putting a stop to these International Text charges.

TalkTalk Mobile have credited the charges so ultimately the loss is on TalkTalk's Mobile's books whilst Vodafone and AQL sit back and offer no help!

0 Likes

Message 3 of 5

I believe you're right. Other than the fact that some 0203 numbers are often used by scammers I haven't seen any online reference on the actual number that my mobile is claimed to be sending text messages to. I've reported the number to AQL and they've raised a fault ticket so waiting on them.

The frustrating bit is dealing with TalkTalk Mobile to get these call charges removed. The standard response is that we must have texted because it's on the bill...

But even if the receiving 'phone service is VOIP enabled, calling that number should get connected. The fact that when calling the number it immediately disconnects does suggest it's either a data service or a scam setup.

0 Likes

Divsec
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 5

Hi @Gondola looks like the number holder has a business renting out voip numbers........ 

I don't work here and all my opinions are my own.
0 Likes