cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome to our blog

Check out the latest on everything from staying safe online to getting the best from your service.

Back to school is an important time for a child’s digital safety

September is here and children are either heading back to school or making the exciting transition of starting a new one.

With your child becoming more independent you may have bought them a smartphone, so they can stay in touch regarding their after-school plans whether that be changes in transport, attending an after-school club or visiting a friend.

Having a mobile phone gives internet freedom in the palm of your hand, our partner, Internet Matters – a non-profit organisation that helps parents and guardians keep children safe online, advises talking openly about online safety.  

Being able to look up topics for revision or listen to educational podcasts is a great way of enhancing out of school learning and should be encouraged. Children are also likely to connect with friends and keep up to date with latest trends on social media. This can be fun and exciting however, Internet Matters suggests that your child should know the importance of keeping personal information private and that once a post, image, or message is shared online it’s accessible forever. Privacy settings and 13+ age restrictions on social networking apps can help reduce the risks.

With an additional device in the home a standard broadband may feel the strain. Ultra Fibre Optic delivers lightning-fast speeds and provides the whole family with a stable and reliable connection. HomeSafe, a free security feature, puts you in control of age restricted social platforms, websites, and allows you to monitor time online.

Good luck with the Autumn term and please have a look at the Internet Matters website for advice and guidance.  

Security
UFO

about Taylerw

Hi everyone! I look after the broadband content on Help & Support. I'm also the team's resident crazy cat lady.

Read more of my blog posts

More like this

Back 2 School

Back 2 School

Security
TalkTalk
Safe summer with our 8 online security essentials

Safe summer with our 8 online security essentials

Security
TalkTalk
World Password Day

World Password Day