cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

After some clarity on Wi-Fi setup with talktalk

spok00
First Timer
Private Message
Message 2 of 2

I've recently setup a Vigor 130 modem with an Asus TUF-AX5400 router. I followed the setup via the vigor guide and a bit concerned as the download speed has dropped. My setup before was the talktalk wifi hub with the asus router connected in ap mode, as i couldnt bridge the talktalk router.

The download speed has dropped about 20 mbps since changing the setup. A couple things to mention... once the modem was setup i couldn't connect the router via PPPoE as suggested from talktalk, as it wouldn't connect to the internet. So I changed the wan settings on the router to Automatic IP instead, and it worked. Also the modem is second hand, so could it be the age/performance that's affecting the speed ?

0 Likes
1 REPLY 1

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 2

If the TalkTalk WiFi hub is connected to the incoming broadband and you put it into bridge mode, you will never have any internet access. That is because you would have disabled all routing functions in it, making it impossible to route IP packets from the local network to the public network.

What I do is use both routers as routers & put them on different subnets. OK, this creates a double NAT scenario, but that is only an issue if you use port forwarding. Even then doing double NAT PF is easy enough.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes