cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Booking an Engineer

Fuchsiaalone
First Timer
Private Message
Message 11 of 11

Hi there,

I've just been chatting to technical support on the live chat regarding a broadband problem. We've been having dropouts of DSL connection/signal with the internet and broadband lights going off completely. I've followed the talk talk guides and found some hopeful success by opening our master socket and plugging the router into the test line inside. SO far everything is running again okay but the guide said this is temporary and I would need to get an engineer to come and look at our socket.

The helper on the live chat said I would need to organize that myself but I'm unsure how to or of I can contact Openreach directly as a consumer rather than a company and I was hoping Talk talk or anyone in the community could help with this or advise?

Many thanks in advance for any help! 

0 Likes
10 REPLIES 10

Message 1 of 11

Hi @Matilyn 

Please can you create a new topic/post on the Community, we can then take a look at this for you.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 2 of 11

@Matilyn, please return to the message board and click on Start a Topic to begin your own thread.

Also complete Personal information in the Profile area for Talktalk staff to identify your account.

They should respond during the day, from tomorrow.

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.

Matilyn
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 11

My box is hanging off the wall I need to book a engineer to come and fix it

0 Likes

Message 4 of 11

That's great, I will leave things as they are and order a new faceplate- thank you so much!! I really appreciate all the help and the very prompt responses. Many thanks!

0 Likes

Message 5 of 11

Hi

You can leave the equipment at the test socket, would not cause an issue, or you can purchase a new faceplate cheaply online from many of the popular online retailers.

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 6 of 11

Can confirm that that is correct: I did a quick test, popped the faceplate back on and turned everything off and on again with no other equipment attached: no internet or broadband lights. Reinserted into the test line with faceplate off and everything is back up and working straight away. 

0 Likes

Message 7 of 11

Hi,

Just to confirm, does this happen with just the router connected to the main socket (faceplate back on) and with all other equipment removed from the line?

Thanks

0 Likes

Fuchsiaalone
First Timer
Private Message
Message 8 of 11

Hello both,

Many thanks for your replies. We have a talk talk TV box which is in another room and therefore is connected to the router via the wireless extenders and an ethernet cable- those have been removed for now whilst I'm troubleshooting the issue. We dont have any other wired extensions or connections-just a wireless extender so the wifi can reach down the garden-its a plug in into the mains-not connected to the BT socket. We have the one main BT socket on the wall-it's an old house.

We are more than happy to pay for an engineer visit and any costs-as it seems like it is a non talk talk equipment issue so far-just hoping to get the problem fixed as we have been really happy with talk talk service  and if we could have some help arranging the engineer that would be great. 

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 9 of 11

Hello,

If the connection is ok at the test socket then this would indicate a possible issue with the faceplate, internal wiring or equipment connected to the line. Do you have any extension sockets?

Thanks

0 Likes

martswain
Philosopher
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 10 of 11

If your connection is working normally in the test socket but not with the faceplate, that indicates a fault with either that faceplate or any equipment or extensions connected to it.

Unless a piece of TT supplied equipment is causing the fault then internal wiring after the test socket is your responsibility.

What other equipment or extension wiring is connected in your home ?

Engineer visits can only be arranged through TT and if a fault is found in non-TT equipment or wiring the visit would be chargeable.