cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Extremely glitch wifi

AndyZ
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 17 of 17

Most of the time my internet is fine, including wifi. But sometimes the computer wifi in another room keeps dropping out - usually for a period in the afternoon.

I don't understand the inconsistency in the wifi but if I must get an extender to fix this I will, but could my internet be checked first and any other possible issue checked?

Modem/Router setup is ideal with a newer model from talktalk, but issue may be due to separate room 

0 Likes
16 REPLIES 16

Message 1 of 17

Excellent, glad to hear it.  

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 17

yes, no issues yet after channel 1 change 🤞

0 Likes

Message 3 of 17
0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 17

As I have just said in my PM, channel 9 Is interfering with both channels 6 & 11. You need to move to channel 1. You cannot separate the BSSID, it is the SSID that you might want to separate. I can't tell what interference there may or may not be on the 5GHz band as you have yet to send me all of the screenshots that I keep requesting from you.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

AndyZ
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 5 of 17

thank you Keith, I am PMing you, but I would like a TalkTalk answer also.

The 2.4 and 5 are on default settings and have separate BSSID so are they not separated already as they are 2 lines in NetSpot?

It is using channel 9 (2.4) channel 48 (5) which are not in direct conflict with other routers around.

So I do not see those 2 things being an issue.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 17

Changing channels - I am trying to help you with the correct channel usage here, but am hampered by not having the full set of screenshots I ask for.

What Karl is also referring to by separating is allocating two different network names for the 2.4 & 5GHz.

E.g. Mome24 & Home5.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

AndyZ
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 7 of 17

Hi Karl do you have instructions for what you suggested for changing/separating channels?!

0 Likes

AndyZ
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 8 of 17

PMs back, was short limit

0 Likes

Message 9 of 17
0 Likes

AndyZ
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 10 of 17

thanks have sent what I can for now - the site has stopped me sending more DMs for now.

I have to say this is one of the worst forum sites I have seen - forever stopping you doing things (over protection from spam issues?)
Poor UI, excessive signatures. Anyway something to consider Talktalk...

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 11 of 17

Thanks for that.

I will PM you a link for a guide of mine on Wi-Fi interference & initially look at the section called "Are you suffering from interference – prove it first". This section includes full details of Wi-Fi analysers that I recommend for Windows, Windows phone, Android and Apple operating systems. However, I have no way of testing the Apple product. Do not worry about interpreting the results, I will do that for you.

Please post the screenshots that I have requested in my guide (no photos please they can be difficult to read as text can get out of focus when zoomed in), from the analyser you are using (also in my attached guide). Please ensure that the analyser window is maximised (if Windows) before taking the screenshots & upload them via the "Insert Photos" button (in a mobile browser it's the picture icon) on the post editor's toolbar with the Size parameter set to Large. If they are too small, I will not be able to read them & although I can enlarge them, this puts the text out of focus. If you prefer PM them to me. If you do PM me, then please add a link in there to this thread, so that I can find it easily.

Keith

AndyZ
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 12 of 17

Huawei DG8041W-2.T5

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 13 of 17

All I need for now is the make/model of router, then I will send you some stuff. If you look at the rear of the router there will be a label with this information on it. If you have one of the two WiFi hubs, you have to remove the pull-up panel & it is behind that.

Keith

0 Likes

AndyZ
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 14 of 17

erm yeah, I am a technical person but not with this! You will have to point me at how to identify my router and change those settings!

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 15 of 17

Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal, no signal on some or all devices or no internet access might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a by-product of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers much more from interference than the 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

If you would like me to help you, please can you specify the make/model of TalkTalk router that you are using, your description of the router that you have is meaningless without knowing the exact one that you have, thanks?

Keith

0 Likes

Karl-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 16 of 17

Hi

Tests on the internet side look fine, no issues or errors, all looks ok.

Have you tried changing the wifi channels or separating the wireless broadcast channels and seeing if one works better than the other.  The 2.4Ghz band will often give a more consistent connection.

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes