cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Internet not connecting after moving house

Est1882
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 21 of 21

Hi,

We recently moved house and arranged to take our broadband with us. Yesterday (5/12) was connection day and I got an email around 2pm to say that it had all been set up and ready to go...

Unfortunately, after plugging the router in it simply fails to connect to the internet. I just get a continuously flashing orange light (a "slow" blink - roughly one second on, one second off - rather than the "fast" blink when the router is first turned on).

I did a connection test from my account which initially stated that a fault had been identified (Fault Ref REP-12213126), but I then got a text message a few minutes later to say that "we've tested your broadband line and it looks like it's working as it should be".

I later went through the live chat service and none of the tests they ran identified any issues. 

Does anybody have any ideas?

Only thing I can think of is that the phone socket I'm connecting to may not be the "master socket" as mentioned in the install guides (I'm not sure how to identify), but I've tried in two different sockets with the same result. 

0 Likes
20 REPLIES 20

Message 1 of 21

Hello,

Thanks for keeping us updated.

Thanks

0 Likes

Est1882
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 2 of 21

Thanks @Gliwmaeden2 

Successfully cancelled the appointment.

I guess one of the things about moving house is not knowing where the sockets are...

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 21

You must cancel the engineer yourself, @Est1882, as staff won't be back before Monday. 

Details if it's a Talktalk engineer:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Your-TalkTalk-engineer-appointment/ta-p/2205431

Will edit in the BT scenario shortly. 

Here it is:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/openreachengineer

You need to get this done by noon on Saturday. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.

Est1882
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 4 of 21

Hi Karl,

Is it possible to cancel the engineer's visit?

So sorry to mess you around, but we have discovered another phone socket hidden behind some furniture and we have now been able to connect successfully to the broadband. 

Thanks. 

0 Likes

Est1882
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 5 of 21

Thank you

0 Likes

Karl-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 6 of 21

Hi

Engineer booked for Monday 12th AM (8-1).

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 7 of 21

Hi

i've sent you a PM to confirm some details.

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Est1882
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 8 of 21

Hi Karl,

Yes please. I think we have exhausted any other options. 

Thanks. 

0 Likes

Message 9 of 21

Hi

OK, as long as you are happy that the alternative router you tested with was is good working order, then we can move towards an engineer.  Would you like to arrange this now ?

Thanks  

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Est1882
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 10 of 21

Good morning,

I was able to try with a different router last night and still get the same result (I.e. The router does not connect to the internet).

I also tried with a BT Openreach modem between the socket and the router and this gave a slightly different result - rather than the slow orange blinking continuously after booting up, this time the router alternately flashes orange and white for a few minutes, before fixing on a solid orange light with no flashing at all. I'm still not able to connect though. 

Unfortunately we've not been able to access a landline phone to do the other checks.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 11 of 21

Hi

Ok thanks, if we can just check if its a router issue that will help.

also, if you do have a friend or neighbour that could lend you a handset for 2 minutes to confirm a dial tone, that would confirm the line is live.

Regards,

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Est1882
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 12 of 21

Yes, I do have an old router.

I will give it a go tonight and update this post with the results. 

Thanks. 

0 Likes

Message 13 of 21

Hi

Ok, do you have access to another router before we send this for an engineer, we can issue a new router if one is required.

Karl.

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Est1882
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 14 of 21

Sorry Karl, no I don't. 

0 Likes

Message 15 of 21

Hi

Do you have access to a handset to check if there is a dial tone ?

Thanks  

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Est1882
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 16 of 21

Hi Michelle,

Thanks for responding. The router was not plugged in earlier, but I went home at lunch time and tried it again in the test socket and still get the same response ("fast" orange blinking whilst the router boots up for ~40 seconds and then continuous "slow" orange blinking).

I've left it plugged in and switched on for the afternoon. 

Thanks

20221207_130649.jpeg
0 Likes

Message 17 of 21

Morning,

I'm sorry to hear this. I've run a test on the line now which is clear. Is the router currently connected and switched on at the moment? Have you also tried connecting the router directly at the test socket?

Thanks

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 18 of 21

Ok, the support team here should be able to help tomorrow with running some tests. But if they are not able to detect a fault it would be really useful if you could get hold of a landline phone, even if just to borrow one for a few minutes, just to see if the line is active and clear, and that calling 17070 does read back the correct phone number.

0 Likes

Est1882
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 19 of 21

Thanks @Skynet_TX 

I've updated the Community Profile and attached pictures of the two phone sockets - both appear to be NTE 5 types, but I assume the "master" socket is the one that doesn't say extension on it (although I have the same result with the router in either anyway).

I don't have a landline phone so unfortunately can't complete the other tests you suggest. 

20221206_205727.jpeg20221206_212615.jpeg

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 20 of 21

Hi @Est1882,

The Master Socket is the first phone socket that the phone line connects to when it comes into the house. Take a look at the pictures of sockets here and let us know what different types of socket you have in the house.

If you have a landline phone can you check to see if that is working normally (i.e. you have a clear dial tone and no noise on the line).

Can you also dial 17070, this will read back the phone number of the line, can you ensure this is the number you expect (i.e. the number displayed in 'My Account').

For one of the TalkTalk Support Team on this community to be able to look into this you will need to update your community profile to include :

• Your name
  • Landline telephone number that your TalkTalk service is provided on (this is shown in ‘My Account’)
  • An alternative contact number

This will allow them to identify you, and they will then be able to help.

Don't post any personal details in this thread, just add them to your community profile (only you and the TalkTalk Support Team on this community can see your profile details).

Then they will hopefully be able to respond to this post tomorrow.

0 Likes