cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Outgoing emails (IMAP)

capers62
Team Player
Private Message
Message 6 of 6

Hi there,

A problem with outgoing emails has started this morning, reason unknown at this stage.

I use Thunderbird with server settings which have not changed. At the moment only seems to be affecting outgoing messages for which an error is received:

"Sending of the message failed.
The message could not be sent because connecting to Outgoing server (SMTP) smtp.tiscali.co.uk failed. The server may be unavailable or is refusing SMTP connections. Please verify that your Outgoing server (SMTP) settings are correct and try again".

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated  :-).

Thanks,

Andy

0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5

Message 1 of 6

Hi

If all is working now, don't mess with it, but if there are issues, then try changing the outgoing server.

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

capers62
Team Player
Private Message
Message 2 of 6

Thanks Karl, I did think about changing the outgoing server to the address you mentioned but wasn't sure if this would have any impact on the emails received - probably not as it's only the outgoing server affected.

The existing tiscali address has worked fine until now and currently back up and running.

However, are you recommending changing to the recommended outgoing mail server address smtp.talktalk.net?

Kind regards,

Andy

0 Likes

Message 3 of 6

Hi

Glad it is working now, hopefully just a blip.

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Karl-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 4 of 6

Hi

Can you try setting the smtp server as : smtp.talktalk.net

The rest of the settings are here : https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Email-settings-IMAP-amp-POP3/ta-p/2204399

Karl.

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

capers62
Team Player
Private Message
Message 5 of 6

It now appears to have corrected itself as I have just successfully sent an email which previously prompted an error message.

0 Likes