cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Sluggish broadband

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 96 of 96

Could you possibly check stability of my line? It's not down to the low speeds of the summer, but sometimes dips considerably. 

I've noticed a very few disconnections since the upheaval in the summer, but one was several minutes, in the past 3 weeks. Got back from holiday on 4th September, so you are looking at records since then.

The Service Centre is showing a marvellous 16, and I usually get 12 - 14 on my smartphone. 

Computer is not now plugged in and will need huge updates if I ever get it installed down in my living room (where it will be a real nuisance).

So I have changed absolutely nothing with the set up since the engineer was here.

The first speed test I did today showed 8Mbps and I ran that because I had noticed slow responses. Therefore it is affecting performance. 

Speed Centre has not shown previous speed test results now for over a year, regardless of which router I was using. 

Am still giving occasional lessons on Skype, and there have been warnings about Poor Connection on there too.

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes
95 REPLIES 95

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 81 of 96

As it seems to be recording the low SNR, which affects performance, it's a good idea to finally get to the bottom of this!

It's an incredibly busy time of year, @Michelle-TalkTalk, and as teaching starts c 1.30pm most days I can't risk an engineer with a morning appointment turning up late (they may start at 12.55 and go into the afternoon, and will disrupt lessons in the living room to access the test socket etc).

The first available morning is Wednesday 5th October.

0 Likes

Message 82 of 96

Hi,

We can't book a specific underground engineer, however we can add notes to the fault ticket about the SNR and that the last engineer suggested that an underground engineer is required.

Thanks

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 83 of 96

Would they be diagnosing the cause of this low SNR by looking at stuff outside the house then?

They are not going to find frequent disconnections, as far as I can tell, but that speed reading when I first posted on this thread was poor.

I know you normally only send out an engineer though if the speed tests drop below the minimum guaranteed speed. 

You'd need to present them with your concerns about the low SNR and specifically ask for an engineer that is qualified to look into underground works, @Michelle-TalkTalk.

0 Likes

Message 84 of 96

Hi,

Ah ok I see. Would you like us to arrange another engineer visit then?

Thanks

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 85 of 96

It's in the master socket,  @Debbie-TalkTalk, which is how the engineer left it.

I am wary of pulling the test socket around at this time of day in case I do damage. Have never touched it, as the engineer fitted this new one last year, and then this year's engineer said to leave it as it was.

Remember, he was unable to organise underground work outside at the time, so left the job not very satisfactorily completed. 

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 86 of 96

@Debbie-TalkTalk, in fact, I can't take a screenshot of the specific Talktalk speed reading as it only shows both upload and download fir a split second before displaying like this, which is not as detailed. 

That is a nuisance, which could also be fed back to the Service Centre people!

All I can screenshot is this:

Screenshot_20220926-081108_Chrome.jpg

Useful information from my latest separate Ookla test here:

20220926_080815.jpg

Service Centre is reporting speed to router as 15, which is not what the graph shows as the average of the week: 17.

0 Likes

Message 87 of 96

Hi Gliwmaeden2

The sync speed is just over 17mb at the moment.

If the SNR drops too low then it can affect the stability and performance of the connection.

Is the router at the test socket at the moment?

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 88 of 96

Thanks for sending the feedback, @Debbie-TalkTalk.

I didn't take a picture of the actual speed test, just the wonky records bit, but from memory it was 14.8, but on the low side for upload: 0.7.

What does SNR actually do, and does this mean that there are actually problems outside of the house?

All fixed equipment is downstairs plugged in exactly as the engineer left it, so there's no internal wiring to consider now.

0 Likes

Message 89 of 96

Hi Gliwmaeden2

The SNR has dropped low again.

I will feed back about the speed tests. What speed did the last test show?

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 90 of 96

I was out of the house quite a bit, @Debbie-TalkTalk, but I think it seemed snappier when I was actually at home and I got a good speed test reading just now.

Service Centre still not storing speed checks, as reported before.  Over a year or so, with Chrome and Firefox,  and with Sagemcom, the old 635 router and this Huawei one.

Screenshot_20220926-073633_Chrome.jpg

 I know I am not the only person to have noticed this, but nothing ever seems to be done about it! An ordinary Ookla test on a separate app has no trouble keeping records like this.

I wish the Talktalk speedtests would store the information properly, or just not pretend to offer a facility that never works!

0 Likes

Message 91 of 96

Morning,

How have things been over the weekend?

Thanks 🙂

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 92 of 96

It feels a lot more responsive, @Debbie-TalkTalk.

Will post back if it starts to lag again. 

Have a good weekend!

0 Likes

Message 93 of 96

Hi Gliwmaeden2

All completed, please let us know how the connection compares.

Thanks

Debbie 🙂

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 94 of 96

Yes please, @Debbie-TalkTalk, though I don't know exactly what that entails.... 😊

The router is always on, so please go ahead with this today. 

One online lesson to give at 6.15pm, so I'll check back on here before then.

Thanks!

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 95 of 96

Hi Gliwmaeden2

The SNR is dropping a bit low. Would you like me to complete a data port reset and then optimise the connection?

0 Likes