cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Sluggish broadband

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 96 of 96

Could you possibly check stability of my line? It's not down to the low speeds of the summer, but sometimes dips considerably. 

I've noticed a very few disconnections since the upheaval in the summer, but one was several minutes, in the past 3 weeks. Got back from holiday on 4th September, so you are looking at records since then.

The Service Centre is showing a marvellous 16, and I usually get 12 - 14 on my smartphone. 

Computer is not now plugged in and will need huge updates if I ever get it installed down in my living room (where it will be a real nuisance).

So I have changed absolutely nothing with the set up since the engineer was here.

The first speed test I did today showed 8Mbps and I ran that because I had noticed slow responses. Therefore it is affecting performance. 

Speed Centre has not shown previous speed test results now for over a year, regardless of which router I was using. 

Am still giving occasional lessons on Skype, and there have been warnings about Poor Connection on there too.

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes
95 REPLIES 95

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 21 of 96

@Michelle-TalkTalk, @Chris-TalkTalk, @Debbie-TalkTalk 

Please put a stop to this immediately!

It is becoming very distressing. 

Openreach has sent ANOTHER message saying that they are coming tomorrow. 

Why is this happening?

It's totally out of order. They'll now be trying to charge me when I turn them away.

Screenshot_20221011-083917_Messages.jpg

I really am shaking with the stress.

😪

I am afraid that I replied in desperation....

Their reply just always says to contact the service provider. This is all so totally and utterly incompetent. 

20221011_084904.jpg

0 Likes

Message 22 of 96

Morning,

I'm sorry about that and hopefully you won't receive any more. 

Thanks

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 23 of 96

@Chris-TalkTalk, @Debbie-TalkTalk

Openreach has sent yet another chaser, despite all our efforts. 

20221006_184204.jpg

This really does play on customers' anxieties about being charged if we don't cancel in time!

I think (rather like with their appointments for installing Full Fibre), they have rather got into the habit of giving customers only options to reply to CONFIRM (the appointment) or to rearrange. They don't give us the option to simply text back CANCEL.

Which bit of the system just doesn't seem to get the message that you have in red?

I am lucky enough to be on here with you helping me, and I know that you have the facility to scrub any unwarranted charges etc, but not every customer comes on here to sort out the faults. They will be having to take Openreach's messages at face value, and worrying about them.

The same excessive messaging happened last week when we had to move the appt. off the 4th. So they are making a habit of this, and have set up the automated system rather clumsily.

So please do send them feedback!

0 Likes

Message 24 of 96

Yes, please just ignore it, I don't know why that has been sent but I've just checked on the Openreach portal and it clearly says

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 25 of 96

@Chris-TalkTalk, why have I even been asked this by text, having agreed with them that the fault was closed, I had replied "fixed" and you also said it was being cancelled?

It just causes confusion when I then get:

20221006_131431.jpg

I assume that I should now do nothing.

Is it a waste of energy to send them feedback about this....?

I see that Talktalk has sent me a feedback thing. ....!

0 Likes

Message 26 of 96

I think it can be difficult to find the cause of the high resistance as it can be caused by a number of things. I don't think it's a fire risk on a telephone circuit as it's low voltage. The definition is probably referring to high resistance on a much higher voltage electrical circuit

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 27 of 96

So probably not straightforward?

Looking up definitions, it seems that this can sometimes be a fire risk!

Hopefully somewhere nearer the exchange rather than in my house...... but nevertheless a bit worrying!

For now, we had better see how I just get on with speeds and hopefully not disconnections and keep the fault closed, @Chris-TalkTalk ?

No need to get an engineer. 

0 Likes

Message 28 of 96

High resistance is when there is higher than normal resistance to current flow which can be caused by a number of things

Chris

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 29 of 96

What does "high resistance imbalance" actually mean, @Chris-TalkTalk?

0 Likes

Message 30 of 96

Sorry, yes that will have been me running the line test

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 31 of 96

Were you running a test just now, @Chris-TalkTalk ?

Router was flashing orange and I couldn't reach any sites, despite a weak signal showing!

Screenshot_20221006-073847_Chrome.jpg

Ookla couldn't find Talktalk!

Screenshot_20221006-074025_Speedtest.jpg

Hope it was you investigating, and not a fault!

0 Likes

Message 32 of 96

Hi Gliwmaeden2,

Sorry, I don't know what they did, but line test is still picking up the same potential high resistance imbalance

Your connection does look a bit better though, sync speed has gone up a little bit and the average SNR seems to have improved too

Chris

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 33 of 96

@Chris-TalkTalk, could you possibly run that check now to see if things have settled down?

Screenshot_20220930-112352_Chrome.jpg

Any idea what caused the fault or what they did if it's properly resolved?

0 Likes

Message 34 of 96

OK, I'll cancel it now

Chris

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 35 of 96

Yes please cancel it, @Chris-TalkTalk.

I will reply to the text too to say FIXED.

I'd rather go by your readings, when they become available again. It would also be helpful to know what they had to do to fix it in case the problem arises again. 

0 Likes

Message 36 of 96

OK so just to confirm, you would like me to cancel the appointment?

Chris

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 37 of 96

@Chris-TalkTalk, in that case, I would rather cancel that appointment now, and clear the system so that you can take a proper look at what's going on over the next couple of days. 

It seems that they take a day to update their appointments diary, so the sooner this is done, the better.

There must have been something tweaked at the end of last week, as the fault ticket I see in Service Centre does mention they had been working on it.

If you then check again later in the week, you should be able to run the line test and I am likely to be in time to make another Wednesday appointment. 

0 Likes

Message 38 of 96

Yes, we generally can't run a line test when there's an open fault with Openreach

Chris

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 39 of 96

Presumably you won't be able to check this at all then, @Chris-TalkTalk, unless I decide to cancel that appointment so that they close the ticket and then you can run the test?

A bit Catch-22!

Speed tests are good, but always a fall off in the upload curve:

Screenshot_20221003-092717_Chrome.jpg

0 Likes

Message 40 of 96

Line test won't run at the moment because there's an open fault. Yes, by all means monitor until the 5th

Chris

0 Likes