cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

No password provided error

Donald15
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 6 of 6

Hello, after several hours trying the posts and then the non-functioning chat bot, and only being able to check emails via webmail for the last week, my patience is wearing a little thin. Talk talk, you can do better customer service than this (maybe even an old fashioned phone number?!).

I cannot access my emails from phone or iPads on any of my talktalk emails. I get the error “ cannot get mail - no password provided for …….”. This happens even after resetting all devices to the new security settings and ensuring there is a current valid password in the box.

Please can you sort this as soon as possible?

thanks

0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5

Message 1 of 6

You're very welcome.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 2 of 6

Brilliant, thanks Ady 👍

Message 3 of 6

Hi Donald15, I've added your mailboxes to the list of those to be restored to full function.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Donald15
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 4 of 6

Hello Gondola,

thanks for the reply and the help, I have done that.

On the comments about what I should have done, I understand what has been done but I think talk talk need to look at their communications and attitude.  The warnings were a sub text to a letter about non talk talk users being turned off.  The single further note then saying the rest of us won’t be able to access email could easily be missed or then misinterpreted (especially after the original note- in other words assumed to be for non customers). Furthermore it is then not good customer service to turn us off permanently (even if we then update the settings) and leave only an incomprehensible error message that takes many hours of detective work to unravel. This isn’t good customer service. 

….but I am glad to have found a fix and for your tech support group help- I have updated all devices, a pc with windows 11, iPads and iPhones all running latest iOS.

kind regards

Gondola
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 6

The error message about a password is because the email app is unable to authenticate the password. Your device access has been withdrawn because of continued use of insecure settings. This is a last resort action by TalkTalk to stop the use of insecure mail.

You'll have received the message or a previous one from TalkTalk advising "Our records show that you are still accessing your email using unencrypted email settings, because of this, from 17th February you will no longer be able to receive or send emails via this email app or software".

You'll still have access via webmail.

Select here: Sign in to TalkTalk Mail

Enter your full TalkTalk Mail email address and password, select Sign in.

So, to get device access restored TalkTalk Support will need to know that your devices are capable of secure mail and that from now on you'll only use secure settings.

What mail collection services do you use, devices and their operating systems, email software and email version?

Prepare for TalkTalk Support - include in the Community Profile (not in these public posts):

Account holder name, TalkTalk home 'phone number (if not Data Only broadband)

Alternative mobile contact number. Full address with postcode (in the Location box)

Scroll down to Private notes to add the customer email address and account number

Check and Save changes

Select here: Update your profile

The TalkTalk Mail Support Hub is your go to resource for information, guides and Community support for TalkTalk Consumer home broadband and MailPlus subscribers.

Select here:
TalkTalk Mail Support

TalkTalk Mail help

Email settings and device setup guides for TalkTalk Mail

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution