cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

Unable to access email following 27th January changes.

Tadders
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 21 of 21

Hello all,

I hope someone can help with this issue. 

I am trying support a friend, who since the 27th Jan is unable to access her email on both her Windows 11 PC and Android phone.  I have followed the instructions contained in the email sent to her but with no success.  I have tried to set up IMAP on her PC, both in Windows Mail and Outlook.  I have also attempted to set it up on my own Windows 10 PC but get the same ( 'Something went wrong error' We couldn't log on to the incoming (IMAP) server.)  I have also tried to get her email on her Android phone and my iPhone but again, without success.  I spent nearly an hour on the phone to customer support yesterday and the young lady was doing something to the mail account but unfortunately, we were disconnected and she did not call back and the issue has not been resolved.

Could this be a problem with the actual mail account?

The good news is that we can still access her email via webmail

Any help will be very welcome.

Regards,

Tony.

0 Likes
20 REPLIES 20

Message 1 of 21

You and your friend too, Tony. Good to know the email is all restored.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

Message 2 of 21

That's great. Thanks for letting us know Tony.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 3 of 21

Hey Ady and Gondola,

Just tried again and we are all up and running.  Thank you so much for all your help.... Fantastic!!!

My friend runs her own business and was at a bit of a loss without access to her email through the apps that she is used to.

I cannot thank you guys enough.

Have a great weekend.

Tony.

Message 4 of 21

Tadders, just been told a few were missed off. They all should work now. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 5 of 21

Thank you Andy,

I have literally just tried and it has not been done yet. I will try again later today or tomorrow morning. 
Thank you for keeping me updated. 
Kind regards,

tony. 

Message 6 of 21

I've just had confirmation that the mailboxes will all be returned to normal function today. 

Ady

Message 7 of 21

Hi Gondola,

I will do that. 

Thank you.

Message 8 of 21

Try late Friday as there's a bit of a delay in getting mailboxes restored.

Message 9 of 21

That's great news Ady. 

Will I be notified when my friends mailbox has been sorted or should I just keep trying to access it through Outlook etc?

Many thanks,

Tony

Message 10 of 21

Hi Tadders, your mailbox should be returned to normal function very soon.

Ady

Message 11 of 21

That's great news.  I look forward to hearing from them.

Thank you once again Gondola. 👍

Message 12 of 21

TalkTalk Support will respond here, hopefully tomorrow, then if they're happy to proceed the access will be restored within 24 hours.

Message 13 of 21

Hi Gondola,

I have added my friends email address to the private notes section of my profile.  Will I or my friend be notified when access has been restored?

I cannot thank you enough for all you help.

Kind regards,

Tony.

Message 14 of 21

Hi Tony

Outlook 365 is capable of secure mail and the setup is in the guide I linked to. Just scroll down the guide to see the Outlook setup requirements.

As TalkTalk now appear to be taking it on trust that users will update to secure mail I suggest you put her email address in your Community profile and I'll request access be restored.

Select here: Update your profile

Scroll down to Private notes to add the customer email address and save changes.

Message 15 of 21

Hi Gondola,

hank you very much for your help and support on this issue. 

The user is not a TalkTalk Consumer home broadband customer or MailPlus subscriber
Or the mailbox address is not added to an active customer MyAccount

I have checked with her and her email address is associated to her MyAccount.

What version of Outlook is she using?

She is using Outlook for Office 365 Version 2301

It's the continued use of insecure mail settings that have caused webmail only access and TalkTalk Support will need to reinstate that for your friend before access will be possible.

Could you tell me the best way to get in touch with TalkTalk Support to have them reinstate access for my friend?

Once again, thank you so much for all your help and support.

Kind regards,

Tony.

0 Likes

Message 16 of 21

Hi Keith,

Thank you very much for your help and support on this issue. 

Thank you for the kind offer to let me have a copy of your setting but I have very carefully followed the instructions contained in the following link:- Accessing TalkTalk Mail - TalkTalk Help & Support Unfortunately, this did not work.

Kind regards,

Tony.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 17 of 21

I can give you the working settings for Windows 10/11 Mail & Android via the GMail app if you want, but I do not have Outlook.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Gondola
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 18 of 21

Hi Tadders 

Webmail will continue to work.

TalkTalk will notify in advance of TalkTalk Mail being limited to webmail only access if:

• The user is not a TalkTalk Consumer home broadband customer or MailPlus subscriber
    Or the mailbox address is not added to an active customer MyAccount
  • Any device email software, email app, or mail collection service connects to your mailbox using insecure settings
    Secure mail connections to your mailbox must all be made using a minimum of TLS 1.2 encryption security and sign in using the email address and email password
  • There's continued use of out of date email software, operating system or legacy email settings
    We can advise on device and software compatibility and provide customer setup guides

What version of Outlook is she using?

It's the continued use of insecure mail settings that have caused webmail only access and TalkTalk Support will need to reinstate that for your friend before access will be possible.

She will need to register for Community as TalkTalk will need to verify personal details via Community Private Messaging. Perhaps the best way to help is to help her with a Community registration. Use an email address that's working or use webmail.

The guides for Windows, including Outlook 2016 and later, and Android devices are included below. Note that all devices connecting to the mailbox must use secure settings and be ready to use secure settings when TalkTalk restore IMAP / POP3 access. Older versions of Outlook are not recommended or incapable of using secure mail and if so must not be used with TalkTalk Mail.

The TalkTalk Mail Support Hub is your go to resource for information, guides and Community support for TalkTalk Consumer home broadband and MailPlus subscribers.

Select here:
TalkTalk Mail Support

TalkTalk Mail help

Setting up TalkTalk email on a Windows PC

Setting up TalkTalk email on an Android device

Message 19 of 21

Hi Keith,

Yes it is a talktalk.net address. 

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 20 of 21

Is this a talktalk.net address?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they?