cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Router rebooted by power cut causing latency

norbo
Whizz Kid
Private Message
Message 29 of 29

Hi

I just got back from few days away and I believe a powercut caused the HUB to reboot probably something went wrong as I have a higher ping that I just had before. Router interface was not even responding well and I have reset the router which seem now interface working well but latency is still there. Please do not upgrade my router as per previous posts, these last updates have all caused the same issue which you fixed by sending me this one which has not been upgraded for the same reason. Would you mind checking what is the problem? Thanks

0 Likes
28 REPLIES 28

Message 1 of 29

No Problem 🙂

Karl 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 29

Hi Karl

Thanks for your response, let me monitor currently version 136 for a couple of days as since yesterday although ping has not gone down to the usual there seem to be no packet loss and Jitter seem to have come down from 14ms as yesterday to 1.18 this morning.

--- bbc.com ping statistics ---
5597 packets transmitted, 5597 received, 0% packet loss, time 6009ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 6.244/7.418/40.472/1.183 ms

Thanks again

0 Likes

Message 3 of 29

Hi

the most recent firmware versions are 136, 158 and 174. There are no other versions that can be applied. V136 is the earliest version that can be applied and V174 the latest.

I do not believe the firmware version will affect ping times, but if you think the router could be at fault, we can swap this out for you.

Karl

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 29

Hi Michelle

I have asked already if is possible you remind me of all versions they have been rolled out so that perhaps might ring the bell when I see it. Could you do that please?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 5 of 29

Morning,

I'm sorry to hear this. Would you like us to change the firmware back to 174 again?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 6 of 29

Hi

Not at all unfortunately even the ping to the router is acting up, synch has gone down from 37Mbit DL to 33Mbit and ping is probably even worst together with jitter gone up to 14ms

--- 1.1.1.1 ping statistics ---
819 packets transmitted, 818 received, 0.1221% packet loss, time 1196ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 6.708/11.486/149.356/14.386 ms

I think that this version was causing the same issue when I first logged the same problem a while back, there was another version but can't remember which one.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 29

Hi

That should be on 136 now, see if that helps.

Karl.

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Message 8 of 29

Can we try with 136 please, 158 has proven to be even worst.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 9 of 29

Hi

The last firmware before 158 was V136, currently the latest firmware is V174.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Message 10 of 29

I am not sure, but certainly earlier than 100154, do you have a list of the available versions? perhaps will ring the bell if I see it.

0 Likes

Message 11 of 29

I'm not sure we can roll the firmware back but which version do you want it rolled back to?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 12 of 29

Yes I connected it when swapped router, are you guys going to rollback the firmware as Debbie was about too?

0 Likes

Message 13 of 29

Is your router currently connected to your test socket?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 14 of 29

My ping was 4-5 ms as always and it's not really just that but the fact that since it started is now causing Jitter which was never a problem with Talktalk now ping is unstable as per obvious consequence and creates a lot of noise and synch issues while using realtime apps.

I can't hear any crackling noise through the home phone.

0 Likes

Message 15 of 29

A ping of 8ms would be seen as low. I've checked the real-time data on the Openreach portal for the last few days. The error count is low but there has been a few reconnections, probably when you've rebooted the router. Line test is passing too.

Are you experiencing any problems with our telephone service, any noise on the line?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 16 of 29

Hi Chris

Not at the moment, all wired directly in the Hub

Jitter has jumped from a typical 0,6ms to 8ms since the issue, this is what is causing issues while I use streaming media, is the result of ping jumping all over the place.

0 Likes

Message 17 of 29

Hi norbo,

Do you use power line adapters?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 18 of 29

Yes, all my computers are wired in, tested from a Windows and a Linux machine same result.

0 Likes

Message 19 of 29

Hi norbo

Is this the same over a wired connection too?

0 Likes

Message 20 of 29

Hi Debbie 

Powered down from around 8:17 till 8:50, same result, ping higher, spikes of 70ms 

As also mentioned yesterday I tried the other HUB that was giging me the same problem in previous post and is even worse with version 158.

Thanks

0 Likes