cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Wifi keeps dropping out

timjnewman
Popular Poster
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 20 of 20

I'm using a Sagemcom Fast 5364 on a faster fiber package.  Everything has been working fine for well over a year but now the wifi signal has become erratic and drops out completely at times.  It's affected different devices, like a smart TV or Amazon Echo, where music will just stop.

Also, it recently lost the 2g frequency completely, until I rebooted it.

I've been onto Talk Talk tech support who checked lines and the router and say everything is OK.

As this has only happened for the last month or so, it makes me think something in my area has changed, like a neighbour whose router is on the same channel.

Is it possible to select a channel and stick with it.  Had a look at the router options and can't see anywhere I can access channels.

Any help will be gratefully received.

0 Likes
19 REPLIES 19

Message 1 of 20

Morning @timjnewman 

I've just sent you a Private Message.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 2 of 20

Hi Debbie,

I've shared screen shots with Keith for 2.4 and 5ghz taken while sitting in the extension.  Apart from a few tweaks there seems to be little that can be done to improve it.  I've tried a TP Link power line adaptor that I use with a TV box and that did work, with improved stability.

Is it possible to buy a Talk Talk powerline adaptor that would work with the talk talk wifi extender kit that I have?

Thanks

Tim

0 Likes

Message 3 of 20

Thanks Keith.

@timjnewman Are you able to test the 5GHz channel?

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 20

Hi @Debbie-TalkTalk 

The customer's 2.4GHz band is totally congested with no one observing the channels 1, 6 & 11 rule, being the only non-overlapping channels. I have suggested two changes to the channels (router & extender), but am not expecting much. He needs to try & use the 5GHz band if at all possible. However, as to the problem in the extension, I cannot comment on it, as the analyser screenshots provided came from the loft!

I have given some upgrade advice as well.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 20

Hi@timjnewman 

First off, you are unlikely to be able to use Power Line Adapters in the extension, if it & the rest of the property are on different electrical ring mains. The problem could also be caused by insulation material in the extension walls if it is the type that is encased in foil. This will be a big block to WiFi signals. Your best bet may end up being an Ethernet cable (CAT6 minimum) from the original part into the extension & then a gigabit switch or another AP in there.

However, let's forget the guesswork. With your WiFi analyser, please go into the extension & get me screenshots from all of its views. Not knowing which app you are using, some developers might use slightly different names for these views.

Please post the screenshots to me in a PM (to protect your privacy), which I have requested below. No photos please, they can be difficult to read as text can get out of focus when zoomed in, from the analyser you are using. Please ensure that the analyser window is maximised (if Windows) before taking the screenshots & upload them via the "Insert Photos" button (in a mobile browser it's the picture icon) on the post editor's toolbar with the Size parameter set to Large. If they are too small, I will not be able to read them & although I can enlarge them, this puts the text out of focus. 

Basically, the ones I require are:-

1. Networks around you (AP view) – please ensure that all networks are selected and that all of your SSIDs are shown in the window. Make use of sorting the SSID column, the vertical scrollbar to achieve this. If you have any Wi-Fi extenders, or printers broadcasting networks, then I need to see these as well.
  2. Signal strength graph – please highlight one network per band in the AP list first. Let this run for 5 mins before taking each screenshot.
  3. Channels 2.4GHz – please highlight each network in the 2.4GHz band in the AP list and then take as many screenshots as you have networks in this band.
  4. Channels 5GHz – please highlight each network in the 5GHz band in the AP list and then take as many screenshots as you have networks in this band.

I will need to know the names of your SSIDs (wireless network names).

The information below is provided by TalkTalk, for confirmation please contact @Debbie-TalkTalk or@Michelle-TalkTalk.

KeithFrench is one of our valued Community Stars and can help with a range of issues related to wireless and networking. At times he may ask you to send him test results via a Private Message to help analyse/diagnose an issue. Although Keith does not work for TalkTalk, he very kindly shares his time and knowledge to help with others.

If you need further help or, if we need to take any details such as personal information about your account like phone numbers, account numbers etc. one of the TalkTalk team will jump in and help out.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 20

Hi Keith, 

Thanks for getting in touch.  I had been having problems with drop outs and poor signal but I'm now had optimisation switched off.  I've also downloaded a "wifi analyser" app so I can pick a channel that has the least amount of usage in my area.  On top of that I've now got a talk talk wifi extender kit, which has been amazing.

Those two solutions have sorted pretty up the whole house out with a stable internet and faster speeds than I've had over the last few years (with the same router).

This is apart from one room!  it's in an extension so is, technically, sitting outside the original house, i.e. behind an external wall, and all the electrics for the house sit between that room and the router (including smart meters).  I'm thinking it might be a case of forgetting wifi and just getting a powerline adaptor and connecting my laptop in there to an Ethernet cable.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 20

Hi @timjnewman 

@Debbie-TalkTalk has asked me to help you with this WiFi issue in one room of your property. 

Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal or no signal on some or all devices or no internet access might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a byproduct of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

However, other factors should be investigated first. When this happens, what are the lights showing on the front of the router? Do you have any wired connections & if so, how do they perform?

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers much more from interference than the 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

In other words, I try to help you optimise your Wi-Fi connection. The next stage involves sending out a guide to you to help you get me some important diagnostic results so that I can analyse them for you and recommend changes to your router configuration to solve them.

I only send this out to people who request it.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 9 of 20

Hi @timjnewman  Thank you.

@KeithFrench - Router is a Sagemcom WIFI hub and WIFI optimisation has been switched off.

Message 10 of 20

Hi,

I have a talk talk extender kit set up in a loft room and between that and the router in the hall way have really good signal and speeds across the house.  

I have one room which continues to be slow, though.  It's on the 1st floor so not far from the router, but is behind the stairs, which has the electrical fuse box under it.  I can only assume it is the electrics that are affecting the signal?

Message 11 of 20

@timjnewman  Could you provide a few details on this thread to let Keith know what issues you are experiencing with the coverage in one particular room please?

0 Likes

Message 12 of 20

Hi Tim

Thanks for your Private Message.

@KeithFrench would you be able to help Tim please with a wireless issue in one room?

Thank you

0 Likes

Message 13 of 20

Hi @timjnewman 

I've sent you a private message 🙂

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 14 of 20

Could I ask you about extending the range of my router?  Our house is over 3 floors and the top floor gets a weak signal.  What's the best way of dealing with that?

0 Likes

Message 15 of 20

Hi timjnewman

That's great 🙂

If you do experience any further issues then please let us know.

Thanks

Debbie

Message 16 of 20

Hi,

Thanks for turning off the optimisation.  The early signs are good and I haven't had any drop outs yet.

Going to give it some time and monitor the situation and try different channels to see which is best.

Many thanks

Message 17 of 20

Hi @timjnewman 

How's the connection been since the WIFI optimisation was switched off?

0 Likes

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 18 of 20

Hi timjnewman

I'm sorry to hear this.

I've switched the WIFI optimisation off for your line. You can now choose/select your own wireless channels and it will remain on your chosen channel.

Please let us know how the connection compares.

Thanks

Debbie

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 19 of 20

You can manually select channels, although this may be futile if WiFi optimisation is operating at the network level, as is the default. If you can confirm that this it what you would prefer then the support team can do that for you and then we can move on to next steps.