cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

Internet cuts out every Sunday night just after midnight

coastertoaster
Chatterbox
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 27 of 27

Same issue as many others. Every Sunday evening (and occasionally, on other, random evenings), my internet drops just after midnight. The connection usually doesn't restore for more than an hour, which is incredibly inconvenient. I have tried calling with the only suggested solution being to have my router replaced (which I don't believe will make any difference).

I am unable to access the Homesafe/Security settings via the Hub, as there has been consistently showing a red "technical error" message for a number of weeks now.

Please advise & fix, otherwise I will simply move to another provider who will not cut off my connection.

0 Likes
26 REPLIES 26

Message 1 of 27
0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 27

The HomeSafe settings can only be accessed (current problems allowing), if your router uses the default TalkTalk DNS server addresses.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

coastertoaster
Chatterbox
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 27

@TTalkfixitnow@Arne-TalkTalk I can confirm that the new DNS settings did result in the connection not dropping last night - so this workaround does seem good. I however still can't access the Homesafe settings! Hoping that can be resolved soon...

0 Likes

TTalkfixitnow
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 27

Following as I also have exactly the same issues with internet dropping every Sunday night, and being unable to access the security settings. 

Have read through the posts in this thread and also updated the DNS settings as suggested to Coasterroaster. I suppose I will only find out if this worked for me, next Sunday. 

Highly inconvenient and frustrating issue, especially being a new customer and having signed-up to a 24 month contract! 

0 Likes

Message 5 of 27

Thanks Keith,   @coastertoaster let us know if the change solves the problem (temporarily) 

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 27

Hi @coastertoaster 

Just glad to be of help.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

coastertoaster
Chatterbox
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 27

Hi Keith - thanks so much for that clarification - have now amended and reverted the previous change and it seems to be showing correctly. Surprised a non-TT employee knows more about the product than TT themselves!

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 27

This is because you are entering the static DNS entries incorrectly. That page controls the DNS server addresses sent out via DHCP to your devices. This should normally be 192.168.1.1 or whatever the router's IP address is, if you have changed it. 

To change the network DNS servers used by the router, from the advanced mode, go to:-

Internet Connectivity > DNS IPv4

Change the DNS dropdown box to "Manually specify DNS" and then enter the primary & secondary DNS servers as required.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 9 of 27

Ok, What make of router do you have  ill see what I can find. 

0 Likes

coastertoaster
Chatterbox
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 10 of 27

Hi Arne - as far as I can see there is only one place to update the DNS settings - and the orange box on that page says:

"Keep the 2 following fields empty to disable the Static DNS and use default settings.
The gateway IP will be set automatically."

I would assume this means that them being filled means that the new static settings are being used. The general tab still shows the old ones though as in my screenshot previously.

0 Likes

Message 11 of 27

Are you able to update the none static primary /secondary fields? 

0 Likes

coastertoaster
Chatterbox
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 12 of 27

Hi Arne, thanks for this.

I've updated the static DNS primary/secondary via the DNS page - and saved (and received successful save confirmation). The Device Info - General tab still shows the previous entries though. Does this take some time to update? If I go to the DNS page, it does show the new entries (8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4 as mentioned).

coastertoaster_0-1709124922116.png

coastertoaster_1-1709124953048.png

Let me know. Thanks!

0 Likes

Message 13 of 27

Hi @coastertoaster

While this issue is still ongoing, there is a work around to stop this happening.

If you log into your router and change the DNS settings this will bypass Homesafe.  instructions can be found on our help page Using 3rd Party DNS - TalkTalk Help & Support

try addresses: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 

The root cause of the fault has been identified and a fix will be implemented as soon as its been tested.

Regards 

0 Likes

coastertoaster
Chatterbox
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 14 of 27

Hi Michelle,

Thanks. Just to advise, this happened again this past Sunday night/Monday morning, same time (just after midnight). The connection was off for more than an hour. 

Should this not be resolved by this time next week then, unfortunately, I will be switching to another provider. Thanks.

0 Likes

Message 15 of 27

Morning,

We've chased the team for an update on this today.

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 16 of 27

Hello,

Just an update to advise that our team are still working to resolve this and we will check this again next week for an update.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 17 of 27

Hi coastertoaster

There is a fault in My Account which has been raised to the developers, they are working on the fix for this. 

Sorry for any inconvenience caused

0 Likes

Message 18 of 27

Hi coastertoaster

Apologies again.

If the connection goes down for 1 hour at the same time then this would indicate that HomeSafe/KidsSafe has been switched on.

@Arne-TalkTalk Can you help with accessing My Account please?

0 Likes

coastertoaster
Chatterbox
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 19 of 27

Hi Debbie,

As mentioned previously - I haven't been able to access the "My Security" section of my account/hub for many weeks now, and still it persists with this error:

coastertoaster_1-1708513973822.png

0 Likes

Message 20 of 27

Hi coastertoaster

Thank you. Can I also just check, if you log into My Account, does HomeSafe/KidsSafe show switched on?

0 Likes