cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV Support

For help with your TalkTalk TV box, channels and apps.

Remote volume not working

Jason3188
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 19 of 19

Hi. Over the last number of days my Youview box is displaying channels fine but there is no volume at all.  The remote seems to be working in order to change the channel but it doesnt seem to increase or decrease volume.  

When mute is pressed there is no mute icon appearing on the tv to say the sound has been muted. Is there an issue therefore just with the remote or with the box? And how can this be rectified?

0 Likes
18 REPLIES 18

fr8ys
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 19

As @Karl-TalkTalk says it's probably the box if you have tried a factory reset as this will reset the box volume to its factory level.

The only other thing may be a fault with your mute button in that it may be depressed and sending a continuous mute signal but I doubt it as it would interfere with other buttons 

If you have a smart phone, open the camera and point the remote to it. Try depressing some buttons you know work and you should see a light.

Now try the volume up and down and mute. If these respond then the remote is working.

I'd try a another full factory reset to the box as sometimes it clears issues on a second pass.

Good luck.

Please remember to mark Solved Posts with Best Answer. Doing so helps other customers and saves TalkTalk's Support Team time by only looking at unsolved topics. Thanks, Steve (a fellow customer).

Message 2 of 19

Hi

If the box has been fully reset, different HDMI cables tested etc, the box itself could be failing.

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 19

Thanks Very much for trying anyway! I have no idea what is going on but I am starting to think theres an issue with the box itself.

If fr8ys has any other ideas I would be grateful for the help.

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 19

I am stuck now, sorry.

@fr8ys You seem to know your way around these boxes, can you help at all please?

Message 5 of 19

I have tried each of the sound settings on both the TV and on the Box settings and still cannot get the sound to work.

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 19

OK, I am running out of ideas now! Try setting the box to surround and see what happens. 

Message 7 of 19

Yes there is 2 HDMI ports on the TV and the box still has no sound coming through regardless of the port it is connected to but if I connect something else to the ports they work fine.

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 19

OK, do you have another HDMI input on your TV you can try? Or even switch the cable round the other way, or try a different one? These connections can get flaky at times. 

Message 9 of 19

Yes the setting is set to HDMI, it has always been at this setting and there has never been an issue. 

I have tried changing the settings just incase but this has not worked either.

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 10 of 19

Have you got the connection set to HDMI, rather than S/PDIF?

Message 11 of 19

I see this can sometimes be an issue with the sound, and I have checked the sound setting just incase this was the cause, but the sound output is set to stereo and has never been changed. The sound issue seems to have started suddenly with no changes in any of the settings. 

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 12 of 19

OK, that's normal, if you have the box connected to an external source and the sound output is set to Surround then the box volume control is disabled. 

Message 13 of 19

The box is connected through an HDMI cable. It just appears to be the box sound that isn't working as anything else connected to the TV, such as a games console, work fine so the TV sound is working.

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 14 of 19

How is your box connected to your TV? Is it the box volume which is not working, the TV, or both?

Jason3188
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 15 of 19

All connections between the box and the TV are correct and have not been moved or changed in any way. 

Everything with the box was working perfectly until recently and then suddenly the sound just ceased. So far rebooting and repairing everything has not worked.

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 16 of 19

Hmm, have a look at the sound output on the box and/or how this is interacting with your TV. 

Jason3188
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 17 of 19

Thanks for the suggestion.

I have tried resetting the entire box and also repairing the remote. The volume controls on the remote are now working however there is still no sound coming through....I am at a loss as to what I can try now....

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 18 of 19