cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

PC can only connect as 'Guest'

mike_in_italy
First Timer
Private Message
Message 3 of 3

Long preamble I'm afraid.

Recently had new Sagemcom router following connection to TalkTalk full fibre to the house.

Phone, laptop, Roku and Sonos connected to the new network fine.

The other day I needed to use printer which hadn't been used since new router obtained. Lot of faffing about following Canon connection guide which at one point wanted to try the WPS button ....eventually found a cable and all was well.

Noticed that evening, some strange devices appearing intermittently on network e.g. CSM-Biscuit. Seems that it's probably an Amazon device. Guessing that when trying to setup printer, WPS function allowed a neighbour's device (live in terraced house) to try and connect.

On this basis decided to change WIFI password and disable WPS.

Lots more faffing around, phone reconnects with new password, the old PC connects with new password (though this one is normally on ethernet with wifi disabled, Roku connects with new password, but the laptop which I normally use on wifi downstairs (router is upstairs) can't connect, but can connect to guest wifi.

The laptop is a newish Lenovo Thinkpad running Windows 11. It's not loaded-up with loads of stuff, no anti-virus, use Firefox as browser. It can see the house Wifi but fails to connect within about 15 seconds. I've tried forgetting the network and re-adding it. As far as I can see everything is set to correct values.

This is something of new territory for me. Worked in IT before PCs so not entirely clueless but could well have cocked something up.

Thanks for reading thus far,

0 Likes
2 REPLIES 2

Message 1 of 3

Hi

Glad you managed to get to the bottom of the issue.

Regards,

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

mike_in_italy
First Timer
Private Message
Message 2 of 3

Got there in the end. Reinstalled the wireless drivers. Grrrrr - waste of most of the day.

0 Likes