cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Broadband: Talk Talk DSL-3782 router does not permit VPN connection

SimonSimonSimon-Hiya!
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 12 of 12

As above, the Talk Talk router is working fine for all my devices except my work laptop, which connects via VPN (connected to the Talk Talk router either via WiFi or Ethernet cable - see my sketch). The connection is made but even the clock on the laptop doesn't update unless I prompt it! As for email or internet browsing - it just does not respond 90% of the time.

I have used chat to discuss this with Talk Talk but the representative didn't really seem to understand what I was saying and kept blaming maintenance in my area, which makes little sense to me. I know other people have had similar problems with Talk Talk, any ideas? It is getting very frustrating...

Sketch.png
0 Likes
11 REPLIES 11

Message 1 of 12

Hi Simon

I'm so glad to hear that this is now working ok 🙂

I have sent you a Private Message with a link to a short survey for the Community.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

SimonSimonSimon-Hiya!
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 2 of 12

Hi @Debbie-TalkTalk The new route arrived yesterday and, joy of joys, has completely solved the issue I was having in connecting to WiFi via VPN. So, a big thank you is due to you from me! THANK YOU!!! 😄😄

If anybody else is having the same problem, I can confirm that a new router is worth trying. Clearly the older Talk Talk-supplied DSL-3782 has an issue with VPN

Message 3 of 12

Hi Simon

Yes, I've sent the router to the address linked to the telephone number in your Community Profile.

Thanks again,

Message 4 of 12

@Debbie-TalkTalk Can I ask how you discovered my postal address? We’re you able to do that via the information I gave when registering this account yesterday (i.e my landline number)? I didn’t supply any other detail. Thanks

0 Likes

Message 5 of 12

Hi Simon

No problem. Please let us know how you get on.

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 6 of 12

Thank you. If this works I am going to be very happy indeed

Message 7 of 12

Hi Simon

The router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

Message 8 of 12

Hi yes, the diagram is right and my description of it is incorrect. And lo and behold they have offered me a new router. Now amazed this wasn’t suggested by the representative yesterday!

0 Likes

Message 9 of 12

Yes if you could, that would be worth trying

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 10 of 12

Hi Simon

Sorry for the delay.

I think we should send a different make and model of router. Would you like me to arrange this?

Thanks

Debbie

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 11 of 12

Hi @SimonSimonSimon-Hiya!,

I'm not sure I understand the sketch, as that seems to show the work PC is connecting to a work router rather than your TalkTalk router, and somehow you have a work router and TalkTalk router connected together via Ethernet, is this really the case ?

If the problem is that you have your work laptop at home, connecting to your TalkTalk router via Ethernet or wireless, but it is not able to connect to your work system over VPN, then this may possibly be due to the fact that the DSL 3782 is now a pretty old model of router, as is known to have issues with some types of VPN connectivity.

So if what I've described above is what's happening, then the support team here will be able to help, they may be able to offer a replacement router if they think the router itself might be the cause. They will hopefully be able to reply tomorrow.