cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Fibre 150 - Can I upgrade the factory box?

Sean97
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 18 of 18

I was wondering if I could upgrade my factory router just ive noticed the signal stregth on them isnt great and the Bt engineer who installed it did reckomend buying a third party router to see better performances. but he mentioned it has to be a G fast router, is that correct?

So i wasnt sure what routers on the market are compactable and if you think the improvement would be worth the cost of buying a new router to replace the standrard one. Just would I need to replace the modem is well?

So i was just looking for some help with these quries from someone with bit more knowledge in this area.

0 Likes
17 REPLIES 17

Message 1 of 18

Will do thanks

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 18

That's fine, if it doesn't fix it, then just let me know & I will PM some stuff to you.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 3 of 18

Thank you keith, Yeah thats fine Im aware that there is no guarantee that this is will fix the issue and might just be the start of the process but either way I appreciate the help.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 18

Our posts are obviously crossing the ether...of course, I will help you.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 18

There is every chance @Sean97 that just disabling WiFi Optimisation will not fix the problem on its own, it is just the first stage of this. In that case please refer to the latter part of my reply in post #8.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 6 of 18

Hi Keith sorry ive been inactive the past few days, I have just requested for the wifi optimisation to be disabled, once that has been disabled would you be able to help me with the next step as previously discussed. Thanks Sean

0 Likes

Message 7 of 18

Hi Chris sorry for the delayed reply yes can you please diabled that for me but i may need to to turn it back on in the future if that makes no improvement. Thanks

0 Likes

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 8 of 18

Hi Sean97,

Just to confirm, would you like us to disable wi-fi optimisation on your line?

Chris

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 18

As I said, once WiFi optimisation is disabled, i'll send you some stuff and will do it all for you, free of charge as well.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 10 of 18

Thank you keith far as I believe it is stil achiviated just I havent had talktalk disable it yet, Ill ask them to disable it if you think it will help resolve my problem. How would I go about getting someone to carry out a diagnostic?

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 11 of 18

Hi @Sean97 

Have you had TalkTalk’s Wi-Fi optimisation disabled on your Sagemcom FAST5364 router? When this is enabled, as it is by default, it has the power to override any Wi-Fi configuration changes that I might suggest that you need to make. This will not help rectify this type of problem if Wi-Fi Optimisation is allowed to change my suggested settings. Only TalkTalk can do this for you, you cannot do it yourself. If not, just request they disable this for you in your reply.

The next stage involves sending out a guide to you to help you get me some important diagnostic results, so as I can analyse them for you and recommend changes to your router configuration to solve them.

I only send this out to people who request it.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 12 of 18

0 Likes

Message 13 of 18

Thank you for your reply keith at this moment I am up for trying anything to improve signal strength

My current wifi stregnth using speedcheck is

Ping 24ms    Download 19mbps  Upload 21mbps

Device Verison

FAST 5364-3.T8

0 Likes

Message 14 of 18

Thats been added now thanks

0 Likes

Sean97
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 15 of 18

Ive currently got Fibre 150 installed in my two bed flat but the range is terrible and doesnt even reach the second between, plus the strength isnt good enough to play online gaming stable without lag.

Has anyone got this issue or is it possible to buy a third party router to place the factory box that was installed, i also heard it must be G fast compatible?

0 Likes

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 16 of 18

Hi Sean97

Please can you add your TalkTalk landline number to your Community Profile, we can then look into this further.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 17 of 18

Whilst you can, this could be down to WiFi interference, which I might be able to help you sort this for free.

Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal, or no signal on some or all devices, might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a by-product of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers much more from interference than the 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

If you would like me to help you, please can you specify the make/model of TalkTalk router that you are using?

Keith

0 Likes