cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Repeated disconnects

triphazzard
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 24 of 24

I've been experiencing repeated disconnects on various devices for some time now and was hoping that support could take a look at my router ( HG633 ). Examples of disconnects include the following :

• I have a gaming PC and both Steam and TeamSpeak will disconnect simultaneously. TeamSpeak will not reconnect and must be restarted. This used to happen more frequently several times per session until I turned off Attack Protection and ALG. Now it is still common but usually only happens once per session.
  • My wife's Dell laptop will disconnect repeatedly throughout the day making it almost unusable if she needs an internet connection.
  • My work laptop VPN used to disconnect at least once a day. We've upgraded the VPN from AT&T to Citrix and recently I observed the VPN disconnect and reconnect over a dozen times in one day.
  • Our LG Smart TV ( 49UF680V ) will often disconnect from WiFi. Sometimes it can be reconnected, often it won't connect until the router is restarted.
  • An NVIDIA Shield occasionally disconnects from WiFi and needs to be manually reconnected. This is running a Plex Server that is available outside of the home network via port-forwarding. This is usually fine as long as the Shield is connected.

Other thoughts and observations...

• We don't tend to notice issues with mobile devices, but that might just be because they can fall back to the mobile network?
  • The WiFi network rarely fails completely and disconnects generally seem to affect devices independently of one another. 
  • When disconnects happen, the router's lights are all green
  • As mentioned above, Attack Protection is disabled as this seems to make the Teamspeak VoIP disconnects much worse. ALG was also disabled in an attempt to make VoIP connections more reliable.
  • Both WiFi bands are enabled on the same SSID
  • I infrequently use a WiFi analyser to select WiFi channels that aren't busy.
0 Likes
23 REPLIES 23

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 24

Thanks, @Debbie-TalkTalk, I'll wait for @triphazzard to contact me when it is convenient.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Message 3 of 24

You have just read my mind 🙂 @KeithFrench

It was but it's now off 🙂

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 24

Thanks @Debbie-TalkTalk you know what I am going to ask next, don't you? Is Wi-Fi optimisation still enabled?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

Message 5 of 24
0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 24

Hi @Debbie-TalkTalk 

No problem at all.

Hi @triphazzard 

Which router do you have now? Please can you PM me some more screenshots from the analyser?

Keith

Message 7 of 24

Hi Phil

Apologies for this.

@KeithFrench could you take another look please? This is with the replacement router connected.

Message 8 of 24

@Debbie-TalkTalk I've spent some time monitoring the new router and although things have improved significantly the 2.4GHz network keeps reverting to channel 1, which is by far the most congested channel in our block of flats. Is there some way to stop this from happening?

Regards

Phil

0 Likes

Message 9 of 24
0 Likes

Message 10 of 24

I have thanks. I will install it this weekend

Phil 

Message 11 of 24

Hi triphazzard

How are you getting on, have you received the replacement router?

0 Likes

Message 12 of 24

Hi triphazzard

Thanks for the Private Message.

The router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks again.

Debbie

Message 13 of 24

Hi triphazzard

Please can you send me a Private Message to confirm the name on the account, I can then send the replacement router.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 14 of 24

Yes please!

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 15 of 24

Hello,

We no longer provide the HG633 router, however we can send a different router for testing purposes to see how the connection compares. Would you like us to arrange this?

Thanks

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 16 of 24

It does look a bit more stable currently, but the router is very old by today's standards.

Keith

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 17 of 24

NetSpot is by far the best for Windows.

I will PM you a link for a guide of mine on Wi-Fi interference & initially look at the section called "Are you suffering from interference – prove it first". This section includes full details of how to use NetSpot & get the views I need to help you. You will see then the information contained within the AP View.

Please post the screenshots that I have requested in my guide (no photos please they can be difficult to read as text can get out of focus when zoomed in), from the analyser you are using (also in my attached guide). Please ensure that the analyser window is maximised (if Windows) before taking the screenshots & upload them via the "Insert Photos" button (in a mobile browser it's the picture icon) on the post editor's toolbar with the Size parameter set to Large. If they are too small, I will not be able to read them & although I can enlarge them, this puts the text out of focus. If you prefer PM them to me. If you do PM me, then please add a link in there to this thread, so that I can find it easily.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 18 of 24

The last batch of images were produced using WiFi Tool on Windows 11. The screen shots cover every view / graph that the app produces. I assumed that the AP view was the two images captioned 'AP' that show busy / empty channels, but if that's not what you need then please recommend a suitable (free) WiFi Analyser and I will install it and produce the relevant screen shots.

Phil

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 19 of 24

There is still no AP view, what operating system is this using?

Keith

0 Likes

Message 20 of 24

The WiFi analyser that I was using refuses to provide an AP view for a frequency that I am not connected to. I know not why. I have tried another analyser called WiFi Tool and it produced the results below.

I also moved my 2.4GHz network to channel 1 for now as it was quieter. If you still think that channel 6 is best, I'll move it over.

AP View 2.4GHzAP View 2.4GHzAP View 5GHzAP View 5GHzChannel View 2.4GHzChannel View 2.4GHzChannel View 2.4GHz (3D)Channel View 2.4GHz (3D)Channel View  5GHzChannel View 5GHzChannel View  5GHz (3D)Channel View 5GHz (3D)Time and Channel View  2.4GHzTime and Channel View 2.4GHzTime and Channel View  5GHzTime and Channel View 5GHz

Phil

0 Likes