cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Slow and unusable broadband in the evenings

AndrewAndrew
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 21 of 21

I have been with Talk Talk for just over a month now and struggling with the service.  During the day it mostly seems fine, although it does sometimes give connection issues for my wife who works from home, usually resetting the router will sort this out.

However the evenings are virtually unusable, streaming TV on a hardwired connection was nearly impossible until I changed the settings for all the streaming services to minimum quality, so now I can watch but they are poor quality on a big screen, even Echo Dots won't stream music.  Again usually a router reset will give better speeds for a while.  Even Echo Dots won't stream music.

Before moving to Talk Talk I was with Sky and never had any issues with slow speeds at any time of the day.

I have been on chat with Talk Talk on a few occasions, was on the telephone last night which was utterly useless as all they wanted to tell me were things I had already tried, and once I got one speed test over the guaranteed speed(straight after a reset then the consequent ones were below) they wanted to get me off the phone telling me they have 30 days to look at this before I can cancel without penalty.  I won't be waiting that long, I am utterly disgusted with the service.  I work full time and run my own business part-time, time is precious to me, I have wasted close to a day on calls, chats and logging speeds.  

I am no expert on broadband but from what I know and what I have read, it seems that there could be too many people using the lines that Talk Talk have rented from BT and the amount of people on the line is slowing my already slow speed.  I must also add that I am rural and my best speed for download/upload is expected to be 18Mbps/1Mbps, which whilst not great is acceptable.

Below is a log from last night and this morning detailing speed test that I carried out, times, the method I was connected and also the number of devices that were connected to the hub, and any other relevant details such as what the other devices were doing.

16/2/22
21:08 - WIRELESS - 2.4GHZ - 19 DEVICES CONNECTED - connection dropped out and would not complete
21:11 - WIRELESS - 2.4GHZ - 19 DEVICES CONNECTED - connection dropped out and would not complete
21:13 - WIRELESS - 2.4GHZ - 19 DEVICES CONNECTED - connection dropped out and would not complete
21:15 - WIRELESS - 2.4GHZ - 19 DEVICES CONNECTED - connection dropped out and would not complete
21:16 - WIRELESS - 2.4GHZ - 19 DEVICES CONNECTED - 1.7Mbps down - 1.1Mbps up
21:24 - WIRELESS - 2.4GHZ - 2 DEVICES CONNECTED - 0.7Mbps down - 1.0Mbps up
21:28 - WIRELESS - 2.4GHZ - 1 DEVICE CONNECTED - 1.6Mbps down - upload wouldn't complete as connectiomn dropped out
21:32 - WIRED - 1 DEVICE CONNECTED - 4.3Mpbs down - 0.9 Mbps up
21:34 - WIRED - 1 DEVICE CONNECTED - 2.5Mpbs down - 1.0 Mbps up
21:36 - WIRELESS - 2.4GHZ - 1 DEVICES CONNECTED - 1.0Mbps down - 1.0Mbps up
21:43 - WIRELESS - 5GHZ - 1 DEVICES CONNECTED - 4.6Mbps down - 0.9Mbps up
21:51 - WIRELESS - 5GHZ - 1 DEVICES CONNECTED - 0.4Mbps down - 1.0Mbps up
17/2/22
09:18 - WIRELESS - 5GHZ - 2 DEVICES CONNECTED - 17.2Mbps down - 1.0Mbps up
09:21 - WIRELESS - 5GHZ - 1 DEVICE CONNECTED - 17.1Mbps down - 0.9Mbps up
09:21 - WIRED - 1 DEVICE CONNECTED - 20.0Mbps down - 1.0Mbps up
09:27 - WIRELESS - 5GHZ - 17 DEVICES CONNECTED - 7.8Mbps down - 1.0Mbps up(DEVICES BEING USED SUCH AS IPADS)
09:32 - WIRELESS - 5GHZ - 19 DEVICES CONNECTED - 8.5Mbps down - 1.0Mbps up(DEVICES BEING USED SUCH AS IPADS AND NETFLIX STREAMING ON TV)
09:35 - WIRED - 21 DEVICES CONNECTED - 12.8Mbps down - 0.4Mbps up(DEVICES BEING USED SUCH AS IPADS AND NETFLIX STREAMING ON TV)
09:37 - WIRELESS - 5GHZ - 21 DEVICES CONNECTED - 17.4Mbps down - 1.1Mbps up(DEVICES BEING USED SUCH AS IPADS AND NETFLIX STREAMING ON TV)

Hopefully someone can help before I pull the plug and go back to my old provider, I'd happily pay their more expensive prices again for a service that works!!

Andrew
0 Likes
20 REPLIES 20