cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Two phone lines, removing one - can I simply then just connect router to the other

Richard_AH
First Timer
Private Message
Message 4 of 4

Hello all,

I have two phone line in my house. The router is connected to the one upstairs. I am having this line removed as the only thing i use it for is the router.

The laptop upstairs is wireless.

Can i then simply plug the router into the line downstairs ?

Or, is the router connected to the specific phone line etc and therefore would need further changes with talktalk to use it with the line downstairs.

Thanks

0 Likes
3 REPLIES 3

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 1 of 4

Yep, it will very much depend on if it is two separate phone lines with two different phone numbers, or one phone line with two sockets.

If you have two different phone lines with two different phone numbers then you won't be able to just move the router, as your TalkTalk service will be being provided on a specific phone number (which will be shown when you log into 'My Account').

But if you just have one phone line with one phone number, and have multiple phone sockets on that line, then you would probably be able to move the router to any other socket, but this can still be dependent on how they are wired up. If the master socket (the one that the line goes to first) has two outlets on it (one for phone, and one for data) then Openreach will often wire those up so the router would only work in the data port of that master socket, and would not work in any other sockets.

0 Likes

nophead
Whizz Kid
Private Message
Message 2 of 4

Does your second line have its own number rather than being just an extension? If so I think you can't simply move it to a line with a different number as the account is tied to a phone number.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 4

Yes, you can just move them over, however, depending on the router & house construction, the Wi-Fi may not be as good as it was upstairs, when the router is downstairs.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes